Race Suits

Pork Chops

Hey Dudes, I'm doing a track day at Hampton Downs in NZ later in August and they require a race suit or full cotton overalls (i.e. gardening overalls!).  So to avoid looking like a social leper I'm going to opt for a race suit.  Suits my character better, no?

Never had one before so what is there to it?  FIA?  CAMS?  Colour?  Zip fly?  Pockets?  Fake sponsor stickers?  Must make me look cool as Paul Newman at the track and save me from looking like Niki Lauder's son if I have a fiery crash.

All recommendations welcome.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jesus Steve best clear your browser history so the Mrs doesn't find out what you're up to 'after hours'. 

That aside I'm pretty sure these suits are not cotton or fire proof, but you'd know better than me ;).

p.s. Ta for the mental image of you in a pink rabbit onesey...

Racing pyjamas ??

I noticed a place at Moorabbin airport yesterday selling all sorts of race gear, just on Grange Road. Failing that there's the place I bought my hemlit from, I'll see if I can remember the name of the place

If you want fire protection then you need an FIA Nomex race suit and they are $$$.  Don't forget the full length nomex underwear, balaclava, helmet, shoes, gloves. 

If you wanna that and to also look like Paul Newman at the track, ie retro styled, then they are $$$$$$

One off track day, ie not racing, swallow your pride and go the overalls.

If you want fire protection then you need an FIA Nomex race suit and they are $$$.  Don't forget the full length nomex underwear, balaclava, helmet, shoes, gloves. 

If you wanna that and to also look like Paul Newman at the track, ie retro styled, then they are $$$$$$

One off track day, ie not racing, swallow your pride and go the overalls.

Yeah not looking to spend big and it's only for track days and frankly I CBF dealing with the under suit etc. I think something in the middle of Steve's onesey and a full FIA race suit might be the ticket.

Overalls and sew a bunch of old school patches on them.  You'll look like the mechanic taking the gaffer's car out for an Italian tune.  Sounds super cool to me.

Would love to do this but it's my first track day with the Porsche club in NZ so I need to take some time before I reveal my 'inner tool'

No I'm still using my original rpm suit from 17 years ago.. its still in good condition & amazed that it still fits 

photo from 2006

Nice RX4!  I'll call Erol on Monday.

Second hand is the way to go I reckon.  Thoughts on this?

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/pearl-beach/other-sports-fitness/rpm-race-suit/1151457608

Second hand is the way to go I reckon.  Thoughts on this?

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/pearl-beach/other-sports-fitness/rpm-race-suit/1151457608

Looks good, pretty standard race suit.  Don't know the Oz market but $200 sounds cheap (second hand though I guess, not usually a market for second had race suits).  Likely too big for you but if just for track days will probably do.

Looks good, pretty standard race suit.  Don't know the Oz market but $200 sounds cheap (second hand though I guess, not usually a market for second had race suits).  Likely too big for you but if just for track days will probably do.

Just rang them.  Son moved out and Mum said take your shit with you or I'll sell it.  Son says go right ahead Mum!  Was bought new 10 years ago for karting and was never used and has been in a bottom draw the whole time - no moth or silverfish damage.  Son was exactly my height and weight...

I hit that RX4 at the top of Lukey heights when he lost it, got some good video of it 

Do share.  Nice watch!

Just rang them.  Son moved out and Mum said take your shit with you or I'll sell it.  Son says go right ahead Mum!  Was bought new 10 years ago for karting and was never used and has been in a bottom draw the whole time - no moth or silverfish damage.  Son was exactly my height and weight...

Planets have aligned!

RPM quality and sewn in melbourne, well priced too, if your a long or weird body shaped super hero like me , they do alterations very very cheap on off the peg prices , in a few days..and maintain fire ratings.. .   Next best thing to custom made ..   I like the good stretch panel across the back ….

My hot voluptuous body dont quite fit in the new range of sparco any  longer and it crushes me tackle ..short in the crutch.. Try em mate , comfort is key 

Alpine Stars are for our local italian Armani model type of PFAers or really cool dudes like @hugh

Or maybe Im PHAT!

RPM quality and sewn in melbourne, well priced too, if your a long or weird body shaped super hero like me , they do alterations very very cheap on off the peg prices , in a few days..and maintain fire ratings.. .   Next best thing to custom made ..   I like the good stretch panel across the back ….

My hot voluptuous body dont quite fit in the new range of sparco any  longer and it crushes me tackle ..short in the crutch.. Try em mate , comfort is key 

Alpine Stars are for our local italian Armani model type of PFAers or really cool dudes like @hugh

Or maybe Im PHAT!

As someone who is six foot four I can whole heartedly agree with getting one that fits is key so you do not crush your testicles.  When I bought my suit I ended up buying a K1 suit as I found they had bigger sizes and were priced competitively against other brands.  They are not FIA certified as they compliant with the SFI standard however when I looked up the CAMS regualtions that Rennsport was run under the SFI standards were within CAMS handbook.

For Rennsport in addition to a suit you needed flame proof gloves, boots and socks which also added to the cost.

Give careful consideration between whether you want a single, double or triple layer suit.  A triple layer suit is the best but in warm weather you will roast.  I bought double layer and remember wearing it in November for a hillclimb and I absolutely roasted in it so a triple would be even hotter.

If you are doing it is a one off just wear overalls.  If you are buying a proper suit than I would have a look at other possible events that you might compete in and look up their regs so that you get a suit that can be used in other things you might compete in but remember they will normally require gloves and boots as well.

I hit that RX4 at the top of Lukey heights when he lost it, got some good video of it 

What did Rolph say about that?

Watch the Kart suits. Might not be compliant with car requirements. $220 down the gurglar. Ask her for the nos and check CAMS/MANZ website.

Was bought new 10 years ago for karting and was never used and has been in a bottom draw the whole time - no moth or silverfish damage.  

Watch the Kart suits. Might not be compliant with car requirements. $220 down the gurglar. Ask her for the nos and check CAMS/MANZ website.

+1 on this. Karting suits are different altogether (This goes for karting shoes and gloves too!). @symsy is on the money, check out the RPM gear at Revolution Racegear as its a good value product but more importantly it will be compliant with the regs you require. 

The Stand 21 stuff is $$$. You'll be looking at a couple of grand for one of those Porsche suits. Nice stuff but maybe overkill for the odd track day. 

+1 on this. Karting suits are different altogether (This goes for karting shoes and gloves too!). @symsy is on the money, check out the RPM gear at Revolution Racegear as its a good value product but more importantly it will be compliant with the regs you require. 

The Stand 21 stuff is $$$. You'll be looking at a couple of grand for one of those Porsche suits. Nice stuff but maybe overkill for the odd track day. 

after resisting it for many years, I finally bought a suit and HANS device when I found myself travelling pretty quickly.  I bought an RPM basic suit from revolution, different from a kart suit,  from memory  this one $329:

http://www.revolutionracegear.com.au/?PCID=25861&PSO=245&PSID=1055____02&PSV=Primary&CDO=

I already had Puma boots so I bought Nomex socks for peace of mind.  It's a basic suit but I still get bloody hot after a 20 minute session but cheap insurance in my mind. 

Do share.  Nice watch!

Ill try.. & you don't miss much 

What did Rolph say about that?

Rolph & i had a good laugh about it.. he was having gearbox trouble that day & missed a gear at the top of Lukey & spun, 2 cars hit him 

Back to the race suit.. get a second hand one if you don't plan to use it much

Jesus Steve best clear your browser history so the Mrs doesn't find out what you're up to 'after hours'. 

That aside I'm pretty sure these suits are not cotton or fire proof, but you'd know better than me ;).

p.s. Ta for the mental image of you in a pink rabbit onesey...

chicken

Hey Dudes, I'm doing a track day at Hampton Downs in NZ later in August and they require a race suit or full cotton overalls (i.e. gardening overalls!).  So to avoid looking like a social leper I'm going to opt for a race suit.  Suits my character better, no?

NO :Chuckle2:

Ill go down a different path of conversation...

I work at a race circuit for a living. Don't be the guy that turns up dressed to the nines like he's the next Schumacher and then go on track and wail about.

Chances are if you haven't been on track before you won't be the best there. Go in what's required to the safety standard needed not over the top. It's much more impressive seeing someone who turns up for a go kill it, then someone dressed like they will that flops it.

This is making big assumptions I know but, even still. You don't have to look the part to drive the part.

Spend the dollars on a good helmet and shoes.

Archived