My New GT3.2..still waiting

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Troubleshooter said:

You must've been heading up the driveway to the letterbox :ph34r:  - at 150 I'm just changing into 4th in the shitty little Poxster :CoolDance:

Is there a problem officer? ;)

Honestly the speed you pile on is scary - that sensation reminds me of a turbo, not in the way it is delivered just the feeling itself; "when is it going to stop pulling?" .... "it isn't".

2 hours ago, sleazius said:

Just fyi, i tried to wind out 3rd last night. Gave up at 160.

I don’t think you’re anywhere near the top of 3rd, my 991.1 was still going in 3rd around 175-180. The 991.2 I think will go harder but my test road runs out of room at 195 & I’m too focused on the upcoming corner to try the 3 rd gear limit. 

I’m feeling the need to experience the 991.2 GT3, not sure the bank balance approves though!

PS, I would really like to hear the number when you do reach the top of 3rd, I think it’s going to be quite scary & surprising given Porsche always understate their numbers. The secret voyeur in me wants to watch what what happens when you get to the top of third & move on to 4th!!!!

In this Video 166kph in 3rd at 8800K but have seen some other videos and   170 kph at 9000K in 3rd on the  991.2 GT3 with PDK  ,,,not sure about manual ,,,gearing may be slightly different than PDK ...?

11 minutes ago, Raven said:

In this Video 166kph in 3rd at 8800K but have seen some other videos and   170 kph at 9000K in 3rd on the  991.2 GT3 with PDK  ,,,not sure about manual ,,,gearing may be slightly different than PDK ...?

It’s all very fast which ever way you cut it, good video. 

My manual 997 S also gets around 175 KPH in 3rd with less RPM ,,,,,,,the thing we must all take into account is that the GT3 does this in a much quicker time frame ,,,,,it takes my car some 23 seconds to do a standing Klm the Gt3 does this several seconds quicker .. 

The scary part was doing 150 with the traction control still trying to limit wheel spin. My test road is a goat track. The other test strip being a 3/4km on ramp that is currently being widened (road works) so no go there. I should take a vid of my private road, I can max 2nd but thats it.

Going from the GT3 to the 997 sucks now too, drove them back to back the other day.... "Where did my 2000 revs go?".

Oh, and 150 is reached very quickly. Per the video.

Smiles can be had but much of it not legally.

some interesting GT3 figure here comparing the different models ..............all in MPH ...........from 997.2 GT3 RS and on wards the max speed in 3rd is certainly less than the previous models ..........I would suspect a shorter ratio on the later generation of  gearbox,s  

911_GTgearing.png

...lucky sub 4K rpm still feels and sounds good. 

3 hours ago, sleazius said:

Is there a problem officer? ;)

Honestly the speed you pile on is scary - that sensation reminds me of a turbo, not in the way it is delivered just the feeling itself; "when is it going to stop pulling?" .... "it isn't".

Sleazius, have you taken yours on a decent track day as yet ?  Out of interest i think Porsche are running one in Sydney on 4/5 June ? $975 for the day (?)  I noticed as Im booked for a couple of days late November at Phillips Island as Im keen to have another run on PI again.  Such a great track.  Just need to work out if I drive down or transport down form brisbane..  

1 hour ago, Oldmxnut said:

...lucky sub 4K rpm still feels and sounds good. 

Sleazius, have you taken yours on a decent track day as yet ?  Out of interest i think Porsche are running one in Sydney on 4/5 June ? $975 for the day (?)  I noticed as Im booked for a couple of days late November at Phillips Island as Im keen to have another run on PI again.  Such a great track.  Just need to work out if I drive down or transport down form brisbane..  

No, dealer is/was trying to get me to attend. Newish baby in the house (10 weeks), along with 3 other kids 7 and under means I'm on a short leash. I've paid for a number of events and had to pull out last minute, don't fancy having to toss $1000 away last minute because one of the kids is sick.

Next year.

I'm down in Brisbane on Sunday morning working early and I'll have mine at the Brisbane Markets if your out and about and car to meet up someplace?

nic

14 hours ago, Ntg said:

I'm down in Brisbane on Sunday morning working early and I'll have mine at the Brisbane Markets if your out and about and car to meet up someplace?

nic

Hi sorry didn't see in time. Wont be able to make it in the morning but keep in touch.  Tee up a mountain drive sometime. Im northside. 

I wont try to repeat what others have shared but here a few initial driving impressions / observations that came to mind, on the first drive yesterday: (interrupted by a cop 20 mins into the drive.... didn't take long !!)

- Much more driver friendly around town then I expected. Not to be confused with a daily driver, but still the torque at lower revs made it relatively easy along with very light clutch (too light ?) and clean definitive notch gears (easier then 997 GT3 and Carrera 50th are my reference points)
- Im holding to the max 4000 rpm rule for first 1000km, but still I found a casual drive running gears and engine revs between 2-4,500 ish was quite enjoyable. Didn't feel if it was lugging at all.
- Gears 2,3,4 up and down slide beautifully, gears 4 to 5 will be where the money shot is I'm going to say when your on a track pushing hard. Requires a definite forward and too the right push to slide into 5 without dropping back into 3 by mistake.
- I ticked Bose sound system... will put that down as a wasted $ option. With the amount of engine and road noise makes no sense. So I just turned it off completely as I just found it was competing and needed to be quite loud to have any clarity.
- On the engine, again running 3-4 rpm its quite acceptable and pleasant to car guys... passenger may get a little tied of it on longer runs.. I wouldn't say it drones. If anything, with the exhaust on, any hint of drone is removed. (although louder). Yet to experience Plus 5... so all this may change.
- Its been mentioned before, but this car does not feel like a hardened track machine suspension wise. Quite supple and again sport settings are the go to choice. In fact, along with the lazy mans rev matching and flat shifting electronics, i think the sport and exhaust button on will be 90% of my driving by choice irrespective of where Im driving.
- already scrapped the front fender on a speed bump. Learnt my lesson and used the nose lift button on the next speed bump.
- I haven't got into the centre control console much but the navigation module was disappointing. No reason really to have old nav and tech these days when really all it is software.
- Easy to forget your in a 500hp RWD car... be careful on the round-a-bouts. This was in the dry and still felt back end start to slide... 

- Did I mention painted aircon slats... Love these. .. any way back to driving.
- Buckets are super comfortable for me. (6,2" and 86kg) Getting in and out is a practiced art form, master it and no worries.. forget your moves and you will fall out sideways...
- Steering wheel is smaller. Noticeable for me.. Just how I like the position of the seat, with steering wheel up high and being tall, my knees would be to the side of the older model steering wheels and you would effectively touch your knees as you turned. This wheel allows more space. Small thing, but for me it was noticeable and a bonus. Ps leather on steering wheel feels like plastic. Hopefully it softens up a little.
- you hear all the stones and gravel noises from the underside. You also hear all the mechanicals.
- PCCB brakes didn't squeal... once on the outskirts of city, pushed on them hard and did a bit of beading in. Did hear a little bit of squeal on the odd occasion but its not regular or bystander head turning noisy..
- PCCBs stop on a dime. They will need to as this thing hauls... and hauls. And the fact I know there is still another 5K rpm makes that statement even more relevant. My demerit points score has been pretty good recently. I think I'm going to need all the points I have driving this around.
- Didn't do a lot of heal and toe as mainly on sport for this initial drive, but when I did, pedals felt like in the right position. Im a size 12 ...
- Chalk/crayon is a colour you seriously cannot photograph correctly as it changes in every light. But I really like it. The greys and even the beige hint is really unique. A last minute change to gloss black wheels I think also work well against the colour.

Thats about it for a couple hour drive on day 1..  I appreciate I'm a bit lucky to be able to get hold of one but genuinely this car stacks up with the all the raving reviews. It may or may not be the last NA / manual, but doesnt really matter, in the coming days of electric cars, you would have to think there won't be many more like it.  

Cant wait until an open track and 9000 rpm to play with...

oh and out of interest, you notice that people don't notice... The couple of glances and the guy at the petrol station knew exactly what the car was and appreciated it for what is was. This is a sexy body in an A line skirt rather then a tight mini...

LPkmQ6b.jpg

Bummer on the points @Oldmxnut, would be great to see one of these new cars in the flesh …and organise a drive North or you and the other new owners  come South .. I know some good blast routes . Quite possibly also better on the demerits. Nice to read your impressions and gain insight of  @sleazius gear to gear testing regimes..

13 hours ago, symsy said:

Bummer on the points @Oldmxnut, would be great to see one of these new cars in the flesh …and organise a drive North or you and the other new owners  come South .. I know some good blast routes . Quite possibly also better on the demerits. Nice to read your impressions and gain insight of  @sleazius gear to gear testing regimes..

Thinking about heading your way for the 70th anniversary drive on Sat in early june to lennox head. (?)..   I think saw something about in one of the other threads.  Maybe catch up then. 

21 hours ago, Oldmxnut said:

(interrupted by a cop 20 mins into the drive.... didn't take long !!)

oh and out of interest, you notice that people don't notice... The couple of glances and the guy at the petrol station knew exactly what the car was and appreciated it for what is was. 

I think I would prefer the cops not notice it but based on the evidence it could be a cop magnet. ?

I got pulled over for a breath test, turns out the officer was pit crew for a porsche team some years back.

Think he nearly had a fit when i showed him the car had 150km on it at the time.

1 hour ago, Redracn said:

I think I would prefer the cops not notice it but based on the evidence it could be a cop magnet. ?

It could be red, and have a wing though..

This was interesting... I was following a suv in front.   The fella in blue was in an unmarked car on side of road pulling randoms over for alcohol tests. He stepped out and waved to Suv in but then saw me, so wavered her on and then waved me in completely confusing the suv driver and nearly getting run over in the process in his urgency to make sure i got waved in....  I felt like I was wearing a berka at airport security.. ?

Anyways all was well, told me to have a good day and to remember to fix the front plate on sometime. 

10 minutes ago, Oldmxnut said:

It could be red, and have a wing though..

This was interesting... I was following a suv in front.   The fella in blue was in an unmarked car on side of road pulling randoms over for alcohol tests. He stepped out and waved to Suv in but then saw me, so wavered her on and then waved me in completely confusing the suv driver and nearly getting run over in the process in his urgency to make sure i got waved in....  I felt like I was wearing a berka at airport security.. ?

Anyways all was well, told me to have a good day and to remember to fix the front plate on sometime. 

That's Racer Profiling!

I was out getting some run in Ks on the GT3 (with wing) and stopped for some fuel. A patrol cop pulled up at the servo exit and sat there while I filled ignoring other cars leaving. So I start it up with the usual pops and bangs just to get his attention then drive away thinking he will pull me over as soon as I leave or sit right on my tail. But it seems I was being paranoid as he left me completely alone and paid no attention to me. Based on this it seems the no wing = stealth theory is busted?

20 hours ago, Redracn said:

I was out getting some run in Ks on the GT3 (with wing) and stopped for some fuel. A patrol cop pulled up at the servo exit and sat there while I filled ignoring other cars leaving. So I start it up with the usual pops and bangs just to get his attention then drive away thinking he will pull me over as soon as I leave or sit right on my tail. But it seems I was being paranoid as he left me completely alone and paid no attention to me. Based on this it seems the no wing = stealth theory is busted?

How are you finding the GT3 Redracn ?  Any pictures ?

3 minutes ago, Oldmxnut said:

How are you finding the GT3 Redracn ?  Any pictures ?

I will grab a few shots as soon as the sun comes out and I give it a wash. Been a bit dreary around here for the last few weeks. I have gone the opposite direction with a  GT Silver CS PDK with satin platinum wheels blacked out headlights and privacy glass rear and 1/4s.

I like the PCM4 it works very well with the contacts on my phone including address and navigation to them. Its connectivity capabilities are extensive and and took quite a while to work out how it will best work for me. There is also the  option of Apple CarPlay to cater for all needs which is far better than any previous PCM

The suspension is brilliantly compliant up to the point where it runs out of travel. Yes I have road marks on the front air diverters and the rear diffuser. On the roads around here the firm setting is way too much while normal is acceptable. The front lift is excellent. Up in 2 seconds and so far it has cleared stuff my other cars would touch. 

PDK-S is at another level. Items like double paddle neutral and no creep at idle remove any notion about it being a traditional auto. It as a manual with automated shifting or user selected gear. The sequential shift mode of the gear selector is spot on with the directions as they should be. The shift paddles have a much better tactile feel. The PDK does have a gear-set rattle below 2000 rpm and makes a lot of mechanical shifting noise when doodling around. It has a rawness to it that lets you know the car is special. 

The smaller 360mm steering wheel is brilliant. 

I have not been over 5K but the engine looks to be as epic as everybody claims. The torque is way above expatiation for a 9K limit.  In fact on the road you can shame just about anything at less than 4K. Its response and ability to freely rev is at another level up there with race engines. 

I have steel brakes after my previous experience with PCCB. They were on their way out at 22,000km. Seems they do not like spirited driving and being over 400C and oxidizing (loosing weight) but not getting thinner as the actual friction surface is protected from the oxygen in the atmosphere by the special pad transfer layer so the initially small surface cracks grow wider reducing the area of the frictionn surface. They have their new weight marked on them. I also had rim damage as the clearance between the caliper and rim is so small that gravel etc gets jammed in there all the time. Steels have plenty of clearance so not a problem. I do however miss the no brake dust of the PCCB. 

I just need to get more Ks ASAP. ? 9k is going to be crazy. ???

Interesting notes on the PCM.  Perhaps my solution is to spend more time with it.  The touch is really nice, but the Nav was frustrating me.  Maybe further settings I need to work out but I couldn't enlarge the map for example or make full screen.

Ive come from steels previously.  First time with PCCB but your not the first to note the clearance issue so will need to look out obviously.

Went for another run today post weekend hoping few less people around.  Stretched a bit beyond 4k rpm.  Im still surprised at the amount of noise and feedback.  Tried music again but no thats not going to work at anytime.  Radio delete more appropriate other then fact that also would have removed the reversing camera.  Must say the camera is a welcome update.  

Pushed a bit more into corners also. Chassis provides lots of driver feedback, via tyre to chassis to arse feedback.. steering wheel directness etc.  Just feels taunt and immediately repronsive to any input.  Im pretty keen to see how it feels on a closed track when you can find the edge of traction safely. 

Archived