My New GT3.2..still waiting

3 hours ago, Russ said:

what PPF are you getting done?

Using Suntek on all front panels,lower doors and rockers and a custom splash panel in front of rear wheels and rear bumper so far,nearly the whole car 

M Automotive I'm using,repeat customer and highly recommend him,does at lot of Porsche on the coast 

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've done a bit of research last few months as well to update myself.  Final decision was to bypass dealer (that bit was obvious) and head straight for paint correction, XPEL then a coating.  Full car, so part dismantle. Decal on top of Xpel.   Ive trialled Xpel on a black car last year and was very happy with performance although had a small issue with fitment on one panel.  Ceramic coating worked pretty good by itself, but thinking a bit more protection for stone chips.  

I don't know why the high end dealers don't get a little more OCD with paint correction and protection.  A 400K Porsche turning up like a 10K hyundai but pretending otherwise is a bit rich.

PS.  Starting the aftermarket build on the touring few weeks after Easter.  Anyone interested in progressive pics/issues, comments etc  or just post a few when its finished?  Items Im playing around with are:  paint, decals, wheels, harness bar and belts, seats Upol, interior, exhaust..  (otherwise 100%certified genuine :) ).

8 hours ago, Oldmxnut said:

Decal on top of Xpel.   Ive trialled Xpel on a black car last year and was very happy with performance although had a small issue with fitment on one panel.  Ceramic coating worked pretty good by itself, but thinking a bit more protection for stone chips.  

On my Spyder I had plastic wrap put on the entire front end and also did the mirrors and door sills; the spyder has decals on the sills ("Spyder" in script). Anyhow, the sill wrap wasnt correct and bubbled so it needed to be replaced; upon removal it lifted the decal lifted and the guy said thats typically the case with small decals. Just an FYI for those getting wraps over decals.

9 hours ago, Oldmxnut said:

....I don't know why the high end dealers don't get a little more OCD with paint correction and protection. ....

An OCD condition is likely to make matters worse by chasing the finish to an impossible level of satisfaction leading to loss of paint and the issue becomes a lot bigger then.

OCD is an anxiety disorder. People living with OCD are troubled by recurring unwanted thoughts, images, or impulses, as well as obsessions and repetitive rituals. People with OCD are usually aware that their symptoms are irrational and excessive, but they find the obsessions uncontrollable and the compulsions impossible to resist, and can be acutely embarrassed by them.

Myth: 'I like to be clean and tidy. I must have OCD’

Reality: Obsessions and compulsions are more than just a need for cleanliness. They can be exhausting, take up a lot of time, and can significantly reduce a person's quality of life.

What you really need (but used the wrong terminology to express it) is someone who has good attention to detail and has a high level of pride and workmanship in what they do.

10 hours ago, jakroo said:

nAn OCD condition is likely to make matters worse by chasing the finish to an impossible level of satisfaction leading to loss of paint and the issue becomes a lot bigger then.

OCD is an anxiety disorder. People living with OCD are troubled by recurring unwanted thoughts, images, or impulses, as well as obsessions and repetitive rituals. People with OCD are usually aware that their symptoms are irrational and excessive, but they find the obsessions uncontrollable and the compulsions impossible to resist, and can be acutely embarrassed by them.

Myth: 'I like to be clean and tidy. I must have OCD’

Reality: Obsessions and compulsions are more than just a need for cleanliness. They can be exhausting, take up a lot of time, and can significantly reduce a person's quality of life.

What you really need (but used the wrong terminology to express it) is someone who has good attention to detail and has a high level of pride and workmanship in what they do.

Apologies if I caused offence.  I do appreciate OCD as being an anxiety disorder but defaulted to the cultural script for which it does not relate. Ill note for future.   In fact, personally I am challenged in life with Asperger's so should have known better.

2 hours ago, Oldmxnut said:

Apologies if I caused offence.  .....   In fact, personally I am challenged in life with Asperger's so should have known better.

No offence at all 'oldnut',   I did think about putting this in the vent thread but I figured here was as good as any in order to 'strike while the iron is hot' as it were.... 

And Asperger's is also another commonly misunderstood challenge in life from almost non existent to being extremely debilitating.

Anyway, back to normal programming.   We all agree that we'd prefer our service centre and dealer to have more care and pride in their work. 

I must have been lucky when I collected the 718 going on close to 11/2 months now from a Melb dealer. Admittedly it is solid white, but I could not find an imperfection in the paint,polish or gloss anywhere. After probably 5 washes, it's still unmarked and not suffering from cobwebs.

What I did find that was annoying, is each of the 20"rims have a residue mark near the centres, about 1/2 way down the surface of each spoke. It may have been from a protection cup put on the wheels when shipping, or even when being assembled, but hasn't budged it yet.

On 28/03/2018 at 11:43 PM, Oldmxnut said:

PS.  Starting the aftermarket build on the touring few weeks after Easter.  Anyone interested in progressive pics/issues, comments etc  or just post a few when its finished?  Items Im playing around with are:  paint, decals, wheels, harness bar and belts, seats Upol, interior, exhaust..  (otherwise 100%certified genuine :) ).

I have been waiting for this... please do start a new tread.

Life on the road for me has been good, not as many trips in the last month due to work but still look for any excuse to get out on the road. Just got back from Cairns / Palm Cove / Port Douglas... some nice tarmac up that way ... spent the whole time wishing I was in the GT3 and not a horrid SUV/4x4.  I never knew how dull driving could be.  It's dangerous.

On 3/29/2018 at 7:49 AM, Ozvino said:

On my Spyder I had plastic wrap put on the entire front end and also did the mirrors and door sills; the spyder has decals on the sills ("Spyder" in script). Anyhow, the sill wrap wasnt correct and bubbled so it needed to be replaced; upon removal it lifted the decal lifted and the guy said thats typically the case with small decals. Just an FYI for those getting wraps over decals.

My XPEL guy said decals over XPEL, not the other way round.

• 3 weeks later...

Isn't that the Melbourne car that was up for below list with a shit ad?

I'm 6'2", 110kg - you'd have to be pretty big not to fit in the car. That said the folding buckets are supposedly tighter than the fixed buckets (and I've got fixed).

The A62435 car turned up today.  Crayon / Chalk is way better live.. Hard to replicate the colour on an iphone.   Some more and future details over in my build thread for anyone interested. 

DBmsgvv.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, turboT said:

went for an SMT today with some  mates. A Crayon GT3 was up front. Didn't get to see it much in action (I was driving a 912). Beautiful looking car.

Owner did admit he preferred driving his 964 though... ?

Did you notice if PDK or manual..  interested if that was cause for any difference.  No km in the seat as yet for me so cant comment on the 964 comparison.   

13 minutes ago, Oldmxnut said:

Was a manual. He’s put 500kms on it in the first two weeks. My impression on the 964 comment is potential versus what fun you can actually have on a road. Maybe gotta break too many laws to feel like you are really using the car?

had a blast in my 95hp 912 ?

1 minute ago, turboT said:

My impression on the 964 comment is potential versus what fun you can actually have on a road. Maybe gotta break too many laws to feel like you are really using the car?

Very hard to "enjoy" such capable cars without breaking many laws, severely. 

Driving "slow" cars fast can be as much fun, 912 is a great example. 

45 minutes ago, turboT said:

Was a manual. He’s put 500kms on it in the first two weeks. My impression on the 964 comment is potential versus what fun you can actually have on a road. Maybe gotta break too many laws to feel like you are really using the car?

had a blast in my 95hp 912 ?

38 minutes ago, hugh said:

Very hard to "enjoy" such capable cars without breaking many laws, severely. 

Driving "slow" cars fast can be as much fun, 912 is a great example. 

Yes agree.  Im hoping with manual there is some level of engagement at socially acceptable speeds.  But you cant beat a Peugeot 205 GTi..  

13 hours ago, Oldmxnut said:

Yes agree.  Im hoping with manual there is some level of engagement at socially acceptable speeds.  But you cant beat a Peugeot 205 GTi..  

Nope. You're past 100km in second gear.

For me i live in the sticks so i enjoy it every time i drive it. I also live on a 1.4km long private road.

If you live in the inner city, forget it. Better off with a golf GTI.

On 5/7/2018 at 12:45 PM, Troubleshooter said:

What's it do the standing 3/4 mile in?B)

Dunno, more of a hill climb than anything else. I've often thought if I could get the consent of the neighbours it'd make an awesome Australian version of the Goodwood climb.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived