Looking to choose R-SPEC tyres for my 996 GT3

Looking to choose R-SPEC tyres for my 996 GT3.   235/40 -18  &  295/30 - 18

Only doing club level track days, not full circuit racing or Targa rallies.

Will use my R-specs on a dedicated set of BBS rims, leaving road tires on my standard rims.

Some say the Yokohama A050 is the ultimate and obviously its top dollar.

What do people think is the best “bang for your bucks” value option? including from the following:

-Yokohama A050 vs AD08 vs V105

-Dunlop DZ03G

-Hankook z221

-Kumho V70a

-Toyo R888

-Others?

Appreciated and regards to all

AO50, Z221, DZ03G all great tyres and I wouldn't bother with any of the others for track only work on 18's

For price performance I would take the Z221

AD08, PSC2 and the like are not in the same league but there are plenty of threads already on this topic.

Peter Fitzgerald was adamant GT3s work best on A050s.  Mechanic for my RX7 track car is adamant his IPRA RX7 works best on A050s

ive used them ever since, they've been awesome

I've done a few sets of some of these tyres on different cars, my thoughts on each of the tyres I've tried is below:

Z221 Soft - These are perfect if you do short stint ‘club style’ track days as they can be pretty much warmed up during the out lap. The compound seems to be somewhere in between an A050 Soft and A050 Medium. #1 bang for buck but they won't suit if you do longer sessions or are running in hotter weather

A050 Soft - These tyres are quick but I wore through them like butter on my Evo, they may work on a lighter car but on my MX5 race car I never ran them and instead just went with Z221 softs as they are not that much slower and Z221 Softs seem to wear a bit better.

Z221 Medium - These are suited if you ever go to track days where they offer longer 10-15 minute sessions and plan to stay out for a while.  #1 bang for buck but softs will be faster if you only ever do shorter sessions.

A050 Medium - These are great all around tyres and seem to be marginally quicker than the Z221 Mediums but the reality with any race tyre is that you only really have 1 track day (arguably less) to do the ultimate time anyway as after that they will fall off so if you aren’t super competitive I wouldn’t bother paying the extra $ for these.

R888 - Spend the extra money on a proper tyre.

Hankook have a good guide which shows the temperature range for their tyres as well as optimum ground temperatures if you are interested in using that to determine your choice of compound http://www.competitiontyres.net.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Hankook-Handbook.pdf (Page 4, Compound Information)

I'm running the A050 soft on my gt3, its only run on club super sprint days, were the sessions are about 8 mins, they are great once you got the pressures dialled in, consistent, loads of grip, and they behave well once you reach the limit of adhesion, its a nice linear break away, they don't "snap out".

R888's I ran, wasn't fussed on 

The Hankook I have heard lots of good things about, so when the A050's are toast, I may be compelled to try some 

Thanks for awesome advice!

nb - anyone interested in doing a large tyre order together ex USA - eg from Tire-rack?

add shipping, handling, GST/Customs total 21%

likely still ahead!

I'd be interested in how that goes, last time I checked they weren't allowed to sell outside the USA for the A050, If they agree then yes, this would be interesting

Thanks for awesome advice!

nb - anyone interested in doing a large tyre order together ex USA - eg from Tire-rack?

add shipping, handling, GST/Customs total 21%

likely still ahead!

As Robert mentioned..

But ill be up for a set if we can get them in.

A freight forwarder may work

Yokies are the pick, soft on front and hard on the rear. They will be 1 - 2 seconds faster that anything on your list.

Be careful with US compound. I have been told only Japan and select few countries get the good compound. Aus gets the better compound.  Is to do with time attack - maybe it has changed now, that was 12 months ago.

No affiliation to Yokies, just my opinion.

Archived