What's it Like to Own a Vintage 911. ?

OZ930

"But I got in before the boom, and now I’m stuck with a car I can never sell, as I’ll never be able to afford to get another" 

This is a 1st world problem that I'm happy to endure.

Same

Pretty sure most here know my journey with the 912 to now, so I won't bore you with it, yet I will say it's the best thing I've ever done to own one of these cars

He did - petrol......

"Once you’ve caught it it’s tough to go back to the mediocrity plaguing auto manufacturing today. All of the air conditioned seats, back up cameras, paddle gear boxes, and accelerometer controlled traction control units cannot compare. Everyone should get out and find their 911, or at least, something similar. "

How very true.......

that or air cooled guys dont push it hard enough to come to that point lol.

obviously hasn't really driven an oldtimer 911. 

The harder you push the better they stick.  It's only when you chicken out in a corner that the world starts spinning

He never mentioned the smell?

I've only driven one 911 but recently poked my head into a few at the pcnsw show... I'm glad I'm not the only one but they do have a distinctive smell. My family thought I was mad mentioning this and my 10yr old son just thought it was 'old car smell'... but it's a 911 smell

The harder you push the better they stick.  It's only when you chicken out in a corner that the world starts spinning

I've driven aircooled ;) Just saying that a lot of the people who bought their cars as an investments wouldn't push them to that point.

I've driven aircooled ;) Just saying that a lot of the people who bought their cars as an investments wouldn't push them to that point.

Sadly ?

Absolutely!  I've gone into a turn at 'Oh shit' velocity, then just turn the thing and hope for the best, and it's just glued to the road. I can only imagine what they're like with stickier tyres than the povo Hankooks I have on

It's all about commitment. If you're just tooling around driving it like a Camry, you'll hate it.  It's only when you go in hard and trust the chassis and tyres that your inner grinning idiot emerges.  The realisation that the car is better than you is humbling.  Then the chase begins for the next perfect brake/shift/turn/go! corner. 

The smell...A welcoming combination of leather, horse hair and old carpet- like a gentleman's club without the pole. The all important waft of engine heated air is key to the 911 experience. Oil smell is dependent on maintenance and properly sealed it shouldn't be obtrusive. 

A perfect day of driving should leave you exhausted, slightly elated, smelling weird and comparing stories of conquests and close shaves.  And we're back to the big night out on King Street.  ?

No investors then at last weekend's SMT, at least in the cars I was working hard to follow!

Thats not a nice tree...

Yes ; we wave our air cooled tails in the mouths of the corner wolves. These guys with 21st century Porsches have no idea!

That sounds like a SMT challenge to me ? Explain how the 21st century guys have no idea? lol This should be interesting. 

Thats not a nice tree...

That sounds like a SMT challenge to me ? Explain how the 21st century guys have no idea? lol This should be interesting. 

Electronic nannies , airbags , big brakes with ABS , etc etc The 911s , Caymans and heel even the Macans are as safe as my 928 around corners. 

So your saying that the newer 911's are worse to drive because of the advancements of technology have made... that's like someone saying HORSE are better then cars. 

No,  they are much much safer and perform much much  better. As the KNs are to my '73 Land Rover,  but not necessarily to my new Merc GLC.

You drive an AC 911 on the track to discover its adhesion limits , then dial it back a bit for public roads with trees and oncoming traffic. It's no less fun, and indeed unless you are a G force addict , dare I say it a bit more fun than the modern iterations. Which I have driven , and IMO!

Archived