Toyota MR2 Turbo

I seem to recall somewhere, someone mounting a bigger intercooler in the front bumper but this would require some sheet metal cutting & fabrication. There was a water reservoir in the engine compartment and a pump circulating the water between the reservoir and the front mounted intercooler.

2 hours ago, clutch-monkey said:

with the cost of the rebuild would it have been worth to swap in a K24 or similar? newer engine and tech etc

Sacrilege. Honda motor in a Toyota... ;) Seriously they are a popular engine with swaps even in MR2's. Only engine swap other than the 5SGE block which I briefly considered was a Toyota V6 which is a relatively simple swap.

58 minutes ago, brian in buddina said:

I seem to recall somewhere, someone mounting a bigger intercooler in the front bumper but this would require some sheet metal cutting & fabrication. 

If I consider cutting sheet metal, the boot behind the engine is the place used by a number of owners. Not keen to do to this car as it's in too good condition.

• 2 years later...

Taking a lot longer than planned, but the last few years put most best laid plans behind the Eight ball. Covid, the shop loosing mechanics and me altering the build as it has progressed. Now uprated cams, porting, top feed fuel rail and bigger injectors for E85 to add to the forged internals already in there.

Been dropping by the shop every fortnight this year just to encourage it along and happy to say the engine and car are closer than they've been for years!

Hoping to take the day off work and be there for its first start, run in and dyno which isn't far off!

IMG_20220701_140501377.thumb.jpg.1a6ab05e7927150e61d767e4ec9008ae.jpg

• 11 months later...

"Isn't far off" may have been a touch optimistic. 🙄 

Momentous day yesterday though.  Dropped by the workshop and after 4 long years finally got to hear it run for the first time. Still needs tidying up, running in then dyno tune for 98 then E85.

Limited by only highflowing the turbo,  so best I can expect is ~350 RWHP on E85. But it felt fast with 241 RWHP, so this should be a blast! If not, with all the internal work done I should be able to bolt on a bigger turbo in the future. :)

So happy though. Can't wait to drive!

3 hours ago, brian in buddina said:

Is snap oversteer on these cars overhyped? What can be done to tame the issue?

Sudden weight shift mid corner (lifting off the throttle) can unsettle the SW20 just like it can an old 911. Actually the handling similarities is why I bought the MR2. Take this to the track first to learn as cheaper to bin this than the 911. 

Ways to reduce snap oversteer happening is adjusting the rears to have a little toe in and also running greater stager between front and rear tyres (I'm running 215's front and 245's rear) . If really keen you can switch out the rear subframe from a 93+ as Toyota lengthened the lower control arms, but many think it dulls the rear responsiveness too much. 

Personally I haven't experienced snap oversteer. I was unfortunately black flagged early at Winton the day it blew up as it was starting to leave a smoke screen before getting to push it beyond its limits... 

@Troubleshooter thanks. Thankfully have other toys otherwise wouldn't have been quite so chilled about the elapsed time.

On 17/06/2023 at 19:44, brian in buddina said:

Is snap oversteer on these cars overhyped? What can be done to tame the issue?

I’m not saying I am an expert or even a competent racer, but I have had a previous track car and also had my 911s on the track. The biggest lose I have ever had was in a non turbo MR2. When t into the corner a little but too hot and that was it. Massive spin, but fortunately didn’t hit anything. Just snap oversteer and it was all over. It just happened so quickly. I can’t remember the tyre condition/age as it wasn’t my car. Great cars, just have to know the limits which I obviously didn’t.

Today signed off from work early as I had a date with a dyno.

Started with tuning in 98 and to be honest I was a little disappointed, as on paper it was pointing to close to 300HP... With boost turned up to around 17psi we maxed at just 205KW (275 RWHP). At one point the tuner stopped the runs and removed the muffler in case the engine was being choked. Next run it was far worse which totally defied logic!

Looking beyond peak power though, the torque was well up from a stock 3SGTE and where the power was being delivered substantially improved. So will be noticeable compared to before the rebuild.

Then it was time for the E85. Starting by slowly increasing the Ethanol, the engine was responding positively and the power and torque increasing nicely. Soon we were above 300 RWHP and still had more Ethanol to increase the ratio. Run after run the engine kept pulling!

Finally the tank was drained and refilled with E85. 

Stock JDM 3SGTE 170KW 302Nm

My 5SGTE on E85 250.6KW 487Nm

IMG_20230623_183341308.thumb.jpg.1f4e36de5701450ab050de7b2729c3e1.jpg 

Picking it up tomorrow. :)

1 hour ago, Dalai said:

Today signed off from work early as I had a date with a dyno.

Started with tuning in 98 and to be honest I was a little disappointed, as on paper it was pointing to close to 300HP... With boost turned up to around 17psi we maxed at just 205KW (275 RWHP). At one point the tuner stopped the runs and removed the muffler in case the engine was being choked. Next run it was far worse which totally defied logic!

Looking beyond peak power though, the torque was well up from a stock 3SGTE and where the power was being delivered substantially improved. So will be noticeable compared to before the rebuild.

Then it was time for the E85. Starting by slowly increasing the Ethanol, the engine was responding positively and the power and torque increasing nicely. Soon we were above 300 RWHP and still had more Ethanol to increase the ratio. Run after run the engine kept pulling!

Finally the tank was drained and refilled with E85. 

Stock JDM 3SGTE 170KW 302Nm

My 5SGTE on E85 250.6KW 487Nm

IMG_20230623_183341308.thumb.jpg.1f4e36de5701450ab050de7b2729c3e1.jpg 

Picking it up tomorrow. :)

Is that switchable between fuels, or do you have to run solely on E85?

The Flexfuel sensor fitted registers the Ethanol in the fuel and runs accordingly.

During tuning today they kept adding E85, so have runs saved registering E30, E45 and E55 before the tank was emptied for the final E85 runs.

4 minutes ago, Dalai said:

The Flexfuel sensor fitted registers the Ethanol in the fuel and runs accordingly.

During tuning today they kept adding E85, so have runs saved registering E30, E45 and E55 before the tank was emptied for the final E85 runs.

What is this modern wizardry ? Sounds much better than drilling out jets and praying

Looks like a really nice build. I've always liked the MR2s from early 90s when I first saw one. 

I think with a little more aero it should be quite stable. In any case my experience is with the mid engine cars when they do go they tend to spin relatively straight rather than like a pendulum, at least in my experience! 

Kick in the arse indeed! Picked up and driven this afternoon. Wasn't giving it the full boot as wanting to get reacquainted and not blow it up first day back in my possession... Still got squirrelly!

Loving the kick in the back and turbo noises just behind the seat! This thing is brutal and so much fun!

Out in the wild enjoying its first full feed of E85. 

IMG_20230624_140424316.thumb.jpg.68995cfb57e095db598df31e47069040.jpg