1966 Porsche 911 Racecar

Its a 1966 car, LHD. chassis 304060. The car is on the 901 register and still has its original engine (albeit rebuilt). 

Its about 90% finished as a race car. It needs a bit of wiring finished off, driveshafts, and brake pads. The rear calipers should probably have a kit put through them though (or upgraded to SC ones)

Its got SC front suspension with RSR bushes, rebuilt SC calipers, bearings, new rotors etc. The brake lines are all brand new, the rear suspension has all been rebuilt. 

The engine is the original one from the car, but has been taken out to 2.4 (although the guy I bought it off says 2.5). I dont know who did the rebuild or how long ago, but can confirm its not been started as we`ve had the cam covers off and the bore scope down the plug holes. I dont know what cams it is running but it was setup as a race car. Original Green gauges are all functional. 

The Roll Cage is built to FIA specification (its beautiful). The car is eligible for FIA (European) Historic racing. 

I have all the original SWB suspension. The car has some interesting early parts, such as 356 style calipers (stored) and original Weber carbs with early throttle linkages (from 65 cars).

Its been painted in 2 pack paint, and whilst its not a bad finish (I think its good!) it was always meant to be a race car when I painted it. 

It did have classic rust in the front pan and we replaced the rusted section but did not cut the front pan out (again, race car). The rest of the car is rust free.

The sills had been repaired at some time and there is a layer of filler over them, however they are not rusty inside.

I took the exterior of the car, and engine bay, back to bare metal before respraying it.

The bootlid, front guards, bonnet, and front and rear bumper are high quality carbon fibre 911R replica`s. 

The rear guard has the 911S lip.

The gearbox is a 911 unit and all I have done is replace the front seal. 

The car will need driveshafts, and probably 914 output shafts to work with that gearbox in a SWB car.

Apart from the drive shafts the car is complete (minus interior, race car!).

Its got an MSD ignition unit and aftermarket (quality) loom fitted but I have got all the old wiring loom.  

If you google Chassis 304060 you will find my thread on Pelican along with some other information on my car. It was originally Irish green, and in fact cars 304058 and 304065 still exist and were most likely built on the same day. I have been in touch with both owners.

I`m selling it because hand on heart, I cant afford to race this car, and I know I wouldn't enjoy risking the car if I did. I`d love to keep it but I`d also like to see it move on to the next chapter in its life.

In hindsight, I should have used a bolt in cage (much less $$$) and built a road/track car!

Ive been racing an E30 BMW for the last couple of seasons and I`m having a ball in that for relatively (in 911 terms) low money. 

I`d want a solid offer over 70k to consider selling it.

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

I was originally building this car for Group N. In Tassie it could run in Historic racing as an invited historic car even with the carbon panels (but accumulate no points in the championship).

However, as the build progressed and the steel panels became more difficult to get, I was going to run it in Sports GT, as the car is legal to run in that series in its current form.

It was also the intention to do some Tarmac rallying.

The car is not log booked. The cage is fully 2018 legal though and was built under the guidance of a CAMS scrutineer. 

I think the price reflects that this car needs to be completed, as described.

Happy to answer any questions about the car.

:) 

In Vic, if you are planning to put it on full rego, you will need the rollbar engineered. In most cases, not a big issue and will cost around $600 depending on who engineers it

If you are planning to put it on club rego, then you might get lucky and not need an engineers report

But really, either case its better to get it engineered. Less headaches in future

Archived