911 Wheel Recommendations??

Hey guys!

Looking into different rims for a 911 sc targa with a wide body kit.

I love the look of the standard fuchs with the black and silver dish surround.

Does anyone know where I could get 17x8 and 17x9 with the 17x9's having a massive offset. 

Feel free to post your wheels and where you got them or suggestions :)

Thanks guys!

2 hours ago, Smussato said:

Hey guys!

Looking into different rims for a 911 sc targa with a wide body kit.

I love the look of the standard fuchs with the black and silver dish surround.

Does anyone know where I could get 17x8 and 17x9 with the 17x9's having a massive offset. 

Feel free to post your wheels and where you got them or suggestions :)

Thanks guys!

IMO 17" are too big for a vintage Porsche. 16" Max, but 15" with the right rubber is all you need

15x10 Fifteen52 Outlaw wheels on my 930

IMG_8664_zps3cvehe3k.jpg

I’ve had a few. Narrow body and 930 widebody.

I like 17’s. Wouldn’t go bigger.

Gonna have to think custom if spacers are to be avoided on a widebody conversion (narrow body trailing arms)

Keep an eye out for people selling wheels - lots of widebody conversions out there.

I like 16’s but tyre choice is not good. 15’s too expensive for good ones. And some pop easily right @turboT?

Here’s some of mine

Speedlines 17x8,9

Fifteen52 outlaws 17x8,9

Borbet 17x8.5,10 (I think) 

Zuffenhaus 17x8,9

or classic Fuchs 16x7,9

And 16x7,8 on a widebody conversion with spacers 

As Gut says, 15's and 16's, your problem will be tyres.

17's look fine to me, and you'll have a bigger selection of tyres to choose from

Bloke I know just fitted these to his white backdate

20180215_212736.png

And this one by another bloke that works in a Porsche shop

20180215_212753.png

Had same issue and only real way way is with custom offset wheels, and bonus is that gets the deep dish you want.

(otherwise stick with big bolt in spacers in the rear)

I use 17’s so i can get decent tyres. Options are braid or similar style fuch replicas or the many 3 piece wheels.

I had a few sets of custom Simmons made. One set went with the car i recently sold, and have a few sets which had wet or MK tyres.

Depends on what you like.... and if its for looks, or to get the performance/ tyres

21 hours ago, DHE11 said:

Had same issue and only real way way is with custom offset wheels, and bonus is that gets the deep dish you want.

(otherwise stick with big bolt in spacers in the rear)

I use 17’s so i can get decent tyres. Options are braid or similar style fuch replicas or the many 3 piece wheels.

I had a few sets of custom Simmons made. One set went with the car i recently sold, and have a few sets which had wet or MK tyres.

Depends on what you like.... and if its for looks, or to get the performance/ tyres

Any chance you remember how much the Simmons cost to do up? I don’t mind some of their options :) 

Was around 3.5 - 4K per set

You get custom painted centres and full polished rims for that price, I also had a few sets with painted rims (Black) which cost a little more.

I still have a few set and lots of pics, so PM if you want me to email you some pics showing them on a narrow body suspension with widebody guards. No spacers.

I posted a few on similar wheel thread a while ago and assume they have since suffered the photobucket death....

I am currently in the process of getting some 3 piece wheels custom made in the states for my new build, but they will be more $$$ than new Simmons... but lighter! (not an issue for a road car)

See link for some pics of a set I rebuild before Bathurst last year which will give you a view of how they are contructed and offsets for a “narrow/wide” - they end up with huge backspacing but the forged centres are very strong and durable

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/985948-where-buy-917-style-5-spoke-wheels.html

The design is the key. 

If you don`t mind non Fuchs designs - Work wheels and SSR wheels from JDM Concept (ozzie dealer) will work for you. 2000-4000 depends on the design etc

For lighter and more expensive wheels - CCW in the US. Shipping is killing though. Good quality billet wheels, cheaper than the rest billets. from 900+ usd per wheel w\o shipping etc

Fuchs design - there are options but none of them are cheap or, lets put it this way, affordable. But here you go

Rotiform, HRE, fifteen52 - from 1700 aud per wheel landed.

18-th wheels on my car, Work wheels Meister series 

ce092d5s-1920.jpg

21 hours ago, Smussato said:

Far out I love JDM wheels... I didn't realise they could fit on Porsches? I love your set up!!!

Thanx. Well, they use all sort of designs, pretty much from old school racing JDM up to racing European wheels, "Y" shaped BBS like are classics so... 

btw JDM Concept are really nice guys to deal with, no affiliation though. My rims were built to order basically, wanted to go with no adapters or spacers, but it takes time.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for all the replies guys.

I've got a good idea of what style I like and where, but would anyone be able to tell me what dimensions I'd need to order. 

Eg. I'm after 17's - What offset would I need considering I have the normal 53mm spacer at the back and the 25 mm? at the front and that fills the guards out just fine.

Everything is stock (brakes wise). 

• 4 weeks later...

Have you guys noticed any handling effects when changing the front wheel size? For example 7/7.5/8/8.5?

Just wondering how wide to go without altering the original intent of the 7" wheel set up. Thanks!

On 04/04/2018 at 11:46 PM, Smussato said:

Have you guys noticed any handling effects when changing the front wheel size? For example 7/7.5/8/8.5?

Just wondering how wide to go without altering the original intent of the 7" wheel set up. Thanks!

DSC07552

17x9 17x11 Braid but this is an '81 930. The offsets for an SC will be different.  Check the web site for available offsets and sizes.

The wider you go out, without widening in, the more induced bump steer, increased scrub radius (ease of pointing and steering wheel load in a corner) and increased loading on the suspension, stub axles and bearings, as well as,  the wider the tyre, the greater the unsprung weight, the lower the profile tyre required to retain the standard rolling diameter and speedo accuracy. 

Widening in brings in tyre rubbing on the inner guard, requiring turn limiters which then increases your turn radius.

Another slippery slope.......

Archived