Check Your P

8 minutes ago, ANF said:

she like me does not like the favouritism some cancers get over others in the media, she is trying to slowly make it more even.......

So the pink ladies have "take your tops off" for breast cancer car shows.

Can you come up with a bloke's slogan?
"Bottoms up for prostate cancer" doesn't ring true.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, tazzieman said:

So the pink ladies have "take your tops off" for breast cancer car shows.

Can you come up with a bloke's slogan?
"Bottoms up for prostate cancer" doesn't ring true.

We will have a think tank and come up with a ripper :)

2 hours ago, Niko said:

Good on you Brian, I hope the road to recovery is smooth, and your back in that blue one enjoying life very  shortly

Thanks Niko..  

Maybe in another week or so I can fix some simple electrical gremlins that don't require any strain or contortions, like getting in and out. ^_^

Great post Brian, and glad to hear you're on the road to recovery, good choice on the surgeon, in the bin now where it can do no harm, and a nice timely prod to us with greyish hair to make a date...

2 hours ago, Al said:

How long do I have before I need the dreaded finger?

Current age = 37

Without any symptoms or family history probably 50. My first issue was at 29 and my father was about the same.

The finger will only find whether the prostate is swollen, not cancerous, unless the GP can feel some funny bumps. Unless the GP is Bruce Banner (the HULK) then the finger is uncomfortable but painless.

If flow is normal and your bladder feels empty when you go, then you probably don't have any swelling.  However, if the opposite is happening and frequency has increased, go to your GP.  You don't want a blocked urethra, it's agony, and it IS an emergency.

To check for cancer, you will need a PSA blood test.  This is an indicator but not an accurate science.  Anything above 4.0 and the doctors start to talk biopsy. Mine was 4.7.  It wouldn't hurt to have a PSA to get your base level, then you can see any changes. 

I began at 40 with about 3.5, then every 5 years and here we are.

Best suggestion is to find a GP that you can talk to and trust.  If the GP starts talking Urologist, do your research and find one that you like that uses the technique that you are happy with.

probably more than you wanted to know but hope it answers the question.

Endone etc is like a synthetic heroin (so I have heard).  You will see that the packet says possession without prescription is illegal.  Very easy to become addicted to this stuff.  We have a whole new group of addicts out there hooked on this drug.  Works great though after an operation but stop using when you can manage without it.  Ask your doctor for advice on it.

30 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

Endone etc is like a synthetic heroin (so I have heard).  You will see that the packet says possession without prescription is illegal.  Very easy to become addicted to this stuff.  We have a whole new group of addicts out there hooked on this drug.  Works great though after an operation but stop using when you can manage without it.  Ask your doctor for advice on it.

What ENDONE is 

This medicine contains oxycodone hydrochloride as the active ingredient.

ENDONE belongs to a group of medicines called narcotic analgesics. Narcotic analgesics act to relieve pain.

ENDONE is only available with a doctor's prescription.

WARNING:
ENDONE can be addictive. If used for a long time ENDONE may become habit forming causing mental and physical dependence. If abused it may become less able to reduce pain.

wikipedea says:

Oxycodone is a semisynthetic opioid synthesized from thebaine, an opioid alkaloid found in the Persian poppy, and one of the many alkaloids found in the opium poppy. It is a moderately potent opioid pain medication (orally roughly 1.5 times more potent than morphine),[8] generally indicated for relief of moderate to severe pain.

Off topic.

My wife 47 has checked her breasts for years as per how she perceived it should be done. Just before xmas she saw a blit on tv on how to do it. She tried it and found a pea sized lump. Off to GP and he ordered tests. The lump was a cancer and they discovered a larger mass not detected by the hand test that is invasive. Double mastectomy limph nodes radiation and chemo.

This type of cancer stats give 60% survival 5 years and 30% for ten years.

Without the awareness campaign she may have missed it.

12 hours ago, OZ930 said:

What ENDONE is 

This medicine contains oxycodone hydrochloride as the active ingredient.

ENDONE belongs to a group of medicines called narcotic analgesics. Narcotic analgesics act to relieve pain.

ENDONE is only available with a doctor's prescription.

WARNING:
ENDONE can be addictive. If used for a long time ENDONE may become habit forming causing mental and physical dependence. If abused it may become less able to reduce pain.

wikipedea says:

Oxycodone is a semisynthetic opioid synthesized from thebaine, an opioid alkaloid found in the Persian poppy, and one of the many alkaloids found in the opium poppy. It is a moderately potent opioid pain medication (orally roughly 1.5 times more potent than morphine),[8] generally indicated for relief of moderate to severe pain.

As it says on the box DON`T DRIVE on that stuff.The day after my hernia opp I thought I was fine to go in to work, popped one when I got up (third in total) got ready and set off in the car, about 10 k in I actually could not drive and had to pull over and sat in the car for about 2 hours. the rest went in the bin.

First time I had Endone 

40 minutes ago, firstone said:

Off topic.

My wife 47 has checked her breasts for years as per how she perceived it should be done. Just before xmas she saw a blit on tv on how to do it. She tried it and found a pea sized lump. Off to GP and he ordered tests. The lump was a cancer and they discovered a larger mass not detected by the hand test that is invasive. Double mastectomy limph nodes radiation and chemo.

This type of cancer stats give 60% survival 5 years and 30% for ten years.

Without the awareness campaign she may have missed it.

Good news.  It's not that far off topic which is "awareness and information."

I have found a couple of things since leaving hospital that is different ( not saying wrong) to what I was shown.

Glad it has worked out for your wife.  

Your turn ?

26 minutes ago, StevepGT3 said:

As it says on the box DON`T DRIVE on that stuff.The day after my hernia opp I thought I was fine to go in to work, popped one when I got up (third in total) got ready and set off in the car, about 10 k in I actually could not drive and had to pull over and sat in the car for about 2 hours. the rest went in the bin.

First time I had this stuff it didn't seem to do anything for the pain, (blocked urethra). I still have the pack in the fridge.

This time, I refused to take it on the second night.

Panadol seemed to work best. (Note: 8 a day max. Gentle on the stomach but damages the liver)

Remember you can get booked for driving with this junk in your system which can last 48 hours.

I suspect what puts men off being tested is not the finger in the bum but the fear they may be not as robust and immortal as they thought they were.

You don't neglect preventative and routine maintenance on your much less valuable car.

At 50 , even with no family history of bowel cancer , take advantage of the free faecal occult blood test. You don't want a colostomy do you?

3 hours ago, OZ930 said:

First time I had Endone 

Good news.  It's not that far off topic which is "awareness and information."

I have found a couple of things since leaving hospital that is different ( not saying wrong) to what I was shown.

Glad it has worked out for your wife.  

Your turn ?

First time I had this stuff it didn't seem to do anything for the pain, (blocked urethra). I still have the pack in the fridge.

This time, I refused to take it on the second night.

Panadol seemed to work best. (Note: 8 a day max. Gentle on the stomach but damages the liver)

Remember you can get booked for driving with this junk in your system which can last 48 hours.

You, and the good lady wife are and were 100% correct, and I was silly for doing it, but they did what they were supposed to do and made me feel perfectly normal, until I tried to drive 

• 3 weeks later...

An update.

I had to give myself Clexane injections (blood thinners to prevent clots) for 2 weeks after the op. About 90 minutes after each injection, I was asleep for 2 hours. My blood pressure was dropping from 120/78 to 102/64. I was doing a crossword type puzzle after an injection and found I couldn't remember the letters and number combinations, so rang the Dr and was advised to stop the Clexane, which I did gladly.

Another small side affect of the op. is a loss of bladder control. One sphincter (which controls flow) is removed with the prostate, but with pelvic floor exercises should regain control, but this could take up to 13 months to achieve. So it's back in nappies. Sounds embarrassing but the advantage is you can scare yourself and nobody knows. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, Mum passed away, so I had to drive to Newcastle and have developed another small problem, which hopefully with water, a descent diet and a dose of movicol will fix. So, besides being uncomfortable, this is another reason not to drive, if you can avoid it. Sitting on a neck travel pillow helps (not a donut, you need the gap...trust me)

Had another PSA today, results next Monday when I have a follow up check.

Cheers All.

My very Sincere sympathies for the loss of your mum Brian.

sounds like your keeping on top of all the "little hurdles" popping up....

hopefully it won't be long till your back in your blue beast enjoying life again.

fingers crossed for you for next Monday...

On 4/5/2018 at 4:01 PM, ANF said:

My wife works for the Cancer Council, in major fund raising and events roles, she like me does not like the favouritism some cancers get over others in the media

I dislike the fact that rare cancers are ignored and sufferers have to pay for some drugs when with mainstream cancers it is free! Also research funding is minimal!

We tried everything with my wife's Neuroendocrine carcinoma. Chemo initially which worked to give us a little more time - when her Neutrophils dropped to 0.1 we were expected to pay for G-CSF that would have been be free if she had breast cancer , whole head radiotherapy when relapsed initially in her brain then when relapsed again self funded Keytruda immunotherapy.

We kept no stone unturned. Also researching and followed a specific diet, accupuncture, chinese medicine, also alternatives such as Berberine and other naturally derived products in conjunction!

I hate cancer! All the best to those who have been touched by this scourge!

Archived