Nurburgring lap record smashed

JV911

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Jim45 said:

That's my home town....

Grandparents used to live at the bottom of the hill.

Walked up there heaps as a kid it's actually a lot steeper than it looks 1 in 2 i think.

Utterly bonkers...

You can do the Tetbury woolsack race with slightly less peril. Especially in the wet.

Ask me how I know :)

Game on?

https://www.motor1.com/news/250907/aston-martin-eyeing-nurburgring-record/

Red Bull Racing Formula 1 team principal Christian Horner has boldly claimed that Aston Martin's upcoming Valkyrie AMR Pro – which is being co-developed with the multiple world championship-winning squad – could beat the overall Nürburgring lap record set by Porsche last week.

2 hours ago, tazzieman said:

Game on?

https://www.motor1.com/news/250907/aston-martin-eyeing-nurburgring-record/

Red Bull Racing Formula 1 team principal Christian Horner has boldly claimed that Aston Martin's upcoming Valkyrie AMR Pro – which is being co-developed with the multiple world championship-winning squad – could beat the overall Nürburgring lap record set by Porsche last week.

They can talk about it all they want, Porsche did it. Aston Martin haven't even got the car to do it yet, it's 2 years away, WTF!

The 919 Hybrid Evo is based on the successful Le Mans-winning 919 Hybrid race car. It's been modified to develop 1160hp (865kW) from its hybrid powertrain, and generates 50 per cent more down-force than the FIA-compliant model thanks to modified and active aerodynamics.

The 50% more downforce than the FIA compliant version means this car is a non relevant car & should not be compared to other race cars , it is being compared to all the other race cars that have raced at Le-mans and all those cars from ALL makers had to comply with a massive list of strict rules , from fuel consumption ( engine size & power ) , tyre width & importantly weight & the list goes on and on , meaning this is not a record breaking car at all

50% more down-force means the corner speeds go up a lot & tyre life ( carcass ) drops to dangerous levels if you kept this corner speed / down force up in race conditions , meaning heaps of laps , same goes for suspension breakages , so she is a one lap wonder , much like a time attack car , pointless

Lets take the Porsche 919 that won the Le-mans 24 hour race in 2015 , with it compiling to the rules that all other entrants had to stick to the car achieved the following results }

Top Speed = 340.2 Kph

Best Lap Time during race  = 3.16.887

And that's with using this century tyre technology & metallurgy

---------------------

Now lets go way way way back in time to 1971

Porsche 917 LH  & yes it had to comply with all the restrictions of the day & same Le-mans event

Top speed during race        = 362 Kmh

Best Time during race         = 3.13.9

And with the 917 , you had to use a clutch pedal & a gear stick

Bruce Buchanan
Buchanan Automotive

20 minutes ago, Buchanan Automotive said:

The 50% more downforce than the FIA compliant version means this car is a non relevant car & should not be compared to other race cars , it is being compared to all the other race cars that have raced at Le-mans and all those cars from ALL makers had to comply with a massive list of strict rules , from fuel consumption ( engine size & power ) , tyre width & importantly weight & the list goes on and on , meaning this is not a record breaking car at all

What nonsense.  Porsche are not claiming best lap for an FIA compliant car that meets some arbitrary set of rules.  they are not comparing to any other race car (or road car).  They simply turned up the wick to see what it could do WITHOUT any restrictions and I commend them for doing so to show us what’s possible.  They set an astonishing record lap at the ring (and by a considerable margin over their own record from 30 odd years ago).  Anyone else is free to have a go without rules constraining their innovation and engineering.  But it’s going to be a long while before anyone beats it (unless you believe Aston Martin’s recent claim that the Valkyrie will go quicker ?).

3 minutes ago, SammyD said:

Rules are out the door now.

Wont be long before an F1 car has a go. Its great marketing.

Good opportunity for the new rulers of F1 to put a decent engine back in it and go beat the record to resurrect some interest.  

Or they try and beat it with the current flatulent engines and fall short and kill any remaining interest in F1!

Not meant to be in any restrictive class, any class at all, just wide open for any racecar to do it. Simply put the fastest of any race car a company can create, (and this Porsche is a racecar), on the track and see how fast it can do a one lap time trial. Fastest for one lap is the winner and best! Lots of racing and sports and games and competitions are utterly pointless but they are fun/exciting to watch or participate in.

10 hours ago, Buchanan Automotive said:

DJM you are talking nonsense simply because there is no class / classification for or one to compare to another make/manufacturer,  so the 919 Evo ends up in the meaningless class , try not to fall for the marketing spin , that's all it is

?? exactly, no class means bring what you built and see who is fastest,.  Nothing to do with marketing spin, simply who builds the fastest car when rules are not a limitation.  pretty simple concept......

Yes someone will take on that record complete with it's insane speeds, and they will get killed. Like land speed records , humans have a limit.
Of course you can take human input away with computers (we're partway there) but what's the point?

The achievements of the 917 drivers , and of that model , are simply astounding 50 years on.
As a side note , the ring Big Balls award though is awarded to those guys who punted a 646hp skinny wheeled coffin around "back in the day".

17 hours ago, Buchanan Automotive said:

DJM you are talking nonsense simply because there is no class / classification for or one to compare to another make/manufacturer,  so the 919 Evo ends up in the meaningless class , try not to fall for the marketing spin , that's all it is

Yep it competes in the currently irrelevant WTF class. A class I personally would like to see grow. Rules suck. 

17 hours ago, Troubleshooter said:

Not meant to be in any restrictive class, any class at all, just wide open for any racecar to do it. Simply put the fastest of any race car a company can create, (and this Porsche is a racecar), on the track and see how fast it can do a one lap time trial. Fastest for one lap is the winner and best! Lots of racing and sports and games and competitions are utterly pointless but they are fun/exciting to watch or participate in.

Race car? Or one lap wonder aka Time Attack. They should bring it to a time attack comp and see how it goes. 

2 hours ago, Redracn said:

Race car? Or one lap wonder aka Time Attack. They should bring it to a time attack comp and see how it goes. 

Imagine the look on competitors faces if they turned up at Eastern Creek or Wakefield Park for Time Attack and saw a fleet of Porsche semi trailers and the 919 sitting there sorrounded by a horde of Porsche technicians and computers ?

21 hours ago, Carrera28 said:

Imagine the look on competitors faces if they turned up at Eastern Creek or Wakefield Park for Time Attack and saw a fleet of Porsche semi trailers and the 919 sitting there sorrounded by a horde of Porsche technicians and computers ?

I'd want my entry fee refunded and go home ??

With regards as to why Porsche did the exercise, it's because they can, simple as that. I'm sure they would have got some useful data for the future. 

6 hours ago, LeeM said:

With regards as to why Porsche did the exercise, it's because they can, simple as that. I'm sure they would have got some useful data for the future. 

Unlike 1983 , in the age of the internet they get instant attention. 

Publicity is what all manufacturers crave,  & the internet is "free" advertising.

Unlike the Kardashian family , the Porsche family isn't stupid.

On 7/6/2018 at 5:06 PM, DJM said:

Or they try and beat it with the current flatulent engines and fall short and kill any remaining interest in F1!

If Spa is anything to go by, an F1 car wouldn't stand a chance at the Ring.

On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 12:08 PM, Redracn said:

Yep it competes in the currently irrelevant WTF class. A class I personally would like to see grow. Rules suck. 

Racing without rules is a great concept and would push the boundaries of what can de done. unfortunately the team with the most expertise and money will always win and the class would quickly die with spiralling costs no one else would enter... even the LMP1 now has no entries (well 1 competitor does not make a class).

Porsche killed Can-am racing with the 917-30 and most of it's other cars have been hobbled as they won too much (in the 70s and 80s). As silly as it is you need rules so others can play....

I love that Porsche have "broken" the record with the 919 but I still see Bellof in the 956 as the Nürburgring record holder.

2 hours ago, ANF said:

Racing without rules is a great concept and would push the boundaries of what can de done. unfortunately the team with the most expertise and money will always win and the class would quickly die with spiralling costs no one else would enter... even the LMP1 now has no entries (well 1 competitor does not make a class).

Porsche killed Can-am racing with the 917-30 and most of it's other cars have been hobbled as they won too much (in the 70s and 80s). As silly as it is you need rules so others can play....

I love that Porsche have "broken" the record with the 919 but I still see Bellof in the 956 as the Nürburgring record holder.

As I pointed out elsewhere a team will always spend everything they can get their hands on. They never give money back. The team with the most money will nearly always win in any competitive class regardless of any rules. All the rules do is change the area/focus of the spending. I don't know of any class where the lowest budget teams regularly win. 

Lack of spectators/marketing opportunities kills these competitive/professional classes. Unfortunately most marketing is focused on spec racing.

51 minutes ago, Redracn said:

As I pointed out elsewhere a team will always spend everything they can get their hands on. They never give money back. The team with the most money will nearly always win in any competitive class regardless of any rules. All the rules do is change the area/focus of the spending. I don't know of any class where the lowest budget teams regularly win. 

Lack of spectators/marketing opportunities kills these competitive/professional classes. Unfortunately most marketing is focused on spec racing.

Organisers and sponsors of everything need to have control. They don't like totally unexpected outcomes.

Pro sport in all guises is just a branch of the entertainment industry. Allow one team to become totally dominant and you lose 1/2 the audience immediately and about 1/4 of the others soon after , leaving just the gloaters!

What is needed is an OTLW series. Not urban outlaws though . Mad Max types where are you?

2 hours ago, tazzieman said:

Organisers and sponsors of everything need to have control. They don't like totally unexpected outcomes.

Pro sport in all guises is just a branch of the entertainment industry. Allow one team to become totally dominant and you lose 1/2 the audience immediately and about 1/4 of the others soon after , leaving just the gloaters!

What is needed is an OTLW series. Not urban outlaws though . Mad Max types where are you?

There is no doubt the nanny's have control and they are scared $&$$ by the unknown. How dare anyone have a great idea that creams the others. Almost all the pro motorsport these days is a stage show as bad as wrestling. F1, V8SC, NASCAR, Indycar all cookie cutter classes. 

If a team dominates it just means the other teams are not up to scratch and there is a lot more to that than just money. In fact the rules often ban cheap solutions because they are too effective forcing teams to chase way more expensive solutions. It is also the case that a teams advantage in a particular area is short lived as the other teams work out what they are doing and replicate it. Problem is the good teams move on with more ideas while the followers(losers) continute to follow(lose) and complain. Changing the rules will not stop the dominant (best) team from winning. 

1 hour ago, Redracn said:

Changing the rules will not stop the dominant (best) team from winning. 

I am probably in the minority in that I follow obscure MS events such as the East African Safari Rally. Money helps , but there are variables beyond the control of the mighty $.
A7zm1gH.jpg

On 6/29/2018 at 8:45 PM, MARTY said:

That’s an unbelievable time 

It is an insanely fast time.  I did 10 laps of the " green hell " a few weeks ago.   It was more challenging than I ever imagined and an amazing buzz at the same time.

It was P city ... GT3's galore at the track day I did.  

Interestingly, a local instructor I had for the first few laps I did told me that in his opinion a Cayman S that has been modified craps all over many of the 911's on the Ring due to it's handling advantages. He may have been just a little biased given he has a business that modifies Cayman's ! 

I drove a Renualt Meganne RS which was fine for me given my ability and first time on the Ring although I felt incredibly slow given the number of cars that passed me and times when I had cars hard up my arse and trying to hold a line so that nobody connected with me.  Having done it once now, next time I will definitely outlay the additional euros to take a P onto the track.

Watching the 919 and the previous record with the GT2RS just leaves me with a totally new level of respect and being gobsmacked at both the capabilities of the vehicles as well as the skill of the respective drivers.

Archived