1974 price list

9er

1 hour ago, 901er said:

Only an extra 2k for the Carrera! 

3k over the equivalent S. If you loosely converted it to something like todays figures it would be like paying $270k for a base 911 coupe, compared to $370k for the Carrera coupe. Still a decent price difference, but it is not the $700+k GT2 price difference.

In 1973 I was making about 5.5K a year (before tax) - so it would have been about 3 years money to buy a new 911S. So today, more or less the same relative RBA cost of 2 to 3 years salary.

BUT for 16.5K you could get a nice house in the inner Eastern Suburbs of Melbourne, which sell for over 2M - even in todays market (probably the same in Sydney).

I knew a guy who bought a tourist delivery 911 2.7 RS Touring (early 73 Homologation car) through Hamiltons. That 911 would be worth perhaps 1M these days? And thats only half of what that house is worth now.

1 hour ago, ANF said:

Automatics have traditionally been more expensive in just about every car brand.

Yeah that's a given. I just thought it's funny coz sporto's reduce the current prices of 911's. Mention it's an auto and lots of people nearly faint with disgust ?

3 minutes ago, LeeM said:

Yeah that's a given. I just thought it's funny coz sporto's reduce the current prices of 911's. Mention it's an auto and lots of people nearly faint with disgust ?

Some people are funny...… 

Autos are more expensive new and cheaper used, go figure..... no not trying to start 9or is that keep running....) the whole auto vs manual thing...…:rolleyes:

10 hours ago, LeeM said:

And sporto's were more expensive ?

911's have been that way forever. Take 964's for example. A C2 manual is by far the most sought after but was the cheapest new, the most expensive new was an auto C4 cab, which is now by far the cheapest ;)  

On 31/10/2018 at 13:49, ANF said:

Automatics have traditionally been more expensive in just about every car brand.

I’m sure this was originally to do with more cost of building an auto box, but with manufacturing volumes I wonder if it has just become another way to fleece buyers.

4 minutes ago, Coastr said:

I’m sure this was originally to do with more cost of building an auto box, but with manufacturing volumes I wonder if it has just become another way to fleece buyers.

With Porsche definitely so!! $6k odd for a PDK over the 7 speed manual... when the manual is just a modified PDK box..... hmmmm!!

Bit of a side drift (well it is the PFA way...), my ML exhaust recently came loose, at $350 for one I fixed it, but I also found out how expensive Porsche ones are, about $1k for a set, just for the tips!! Or $1.9k on a new 911, FFS Porsche!!

• 1 year later...