944 rim/tyre recommendations

LeeM

Gurus 

A friend has bought (buying) an 86 944 and is looking at changing the standard rims and probably tyres at a later stage.

I wish to ask those who have tried various sizes 15/16/17's and widths that will be ok without rubbing etc, as he will be driving in the hills a fair bit. He's not into bling or looking like a ricer and is very keen on some Minilite/Superlites (I may have had a little influence there ?), yet what other style of rims are  possibly available (not a fan of Fuchs) 

Tyres. He can drive a bit (also owns an SC) yet wants tyres that will last longer than R Spec semi slicks. What have you tried that would be good in wet or dry conditions/sizes etc

Any info is appreciated

My vote would go to a set of Enkie NT-03. I believe Patrick Garvin was running a set many years ago on his 944 Turbo before it became the batmobile track car. He may be able to advise on the best size/offset. 

Re tyres - I would recommend Goodyear Eagle F1 A2 for a good wet/dry combo if going 17in+. The biggest determining factor for tyre options is obviously wheel diameter. The Michelin Pilot Sport 4 range look good but are only available in large sizes to my knowledge.

2 hours ago, Jason E said:

Well I have been running Toyo Proxes T1Rs on my standard 16" D90s & they've been great in all conditions on my S2.  Were recommended to me by Buchanans for the 944.  I'd get them again.

Yep these are good, i ran these on my 944 turbo and they were pretty good, i found them a good all round tyre.

Hi Lee , the 1986 year model 944 ( 15"  x 7"  F & R ) & the 1986 951 ( 16" X 7 " , 8 " ) were the last in the 944 series to have dished wheels , meaning the ET ( off set ) was 23.3 mm

From 1987 >   the 944 & the Non Turbo S 951 had 55mm ET

The Turbo S 951 ( 1988>) & the super rare 944S2 ( 1990-1991) with the factory fitted M030 / big front brakes had a different ET of 65mm

So that means the wheels from a 1987 > 944 / 944S2 / 951 will not fit a 1986 944 without spacers & on the front axle ( as a road car ) , thats a Big No No

But the relatively rare 1986 ( 16" ) 951 wheels  7" front &  8"  rear Telephone wheels fit straight onto a 1986 NA with no spacers required & because the ET is perfect , the steering will have perfect feel , meaning no tram tracking because the front ET is perfect

Then there is the SUPER rare 1986 951 Fuchs forged wheels ( 16" X 7" , 8 " ) that were an expensive option on the 1986 951

Regards
Bruce B

As we all know Bruce is the man when it comes to all things 944...and 928...and knows a thing or three about mid and rear engine models too. 

As a non Porsche wheel I agree with Oz Justin on the Enkei NT-03s. Light, stylish, cheap...just not sure if they have the offset you require and might need to run spacers which as Bruce mentions, not always ideal. 

On a 1986 Mod

26985142078_f2212c463f_b.jpg

17 Inch Boxster wheels 205 & 225

14 hours ago, LeeM said:

My mate has decided on some replica Fuchs, so if anyone has a spare set of 7's And 8's to suit, please pm me or text/call 0407942151

There was a place in Syd on eBay new rims and tires between $2200 and $2600 depending on the rubber you put on the rims.

• 1 month later...
33 minutes ago, cyberpunky said:

No I will keep them just in case. TBH the superlites have grown on me, so I am in two minds about going back to fuchs.

My favourite wheel style and what I have on the 911. Well the rears anyway...still waiting on Shannon's to cough up for 2 rims so I can buy the fronts...(only taken 4 months so far 😡)

I think they're perfect for a 944 and your car looks great with them 

Archived