Caman prices over the last few months!!

dangero

Recently after buying my Cayman S a mate has decided to buy one. He has been on the lookout for a while and 6 months ago you could pick up a mint low k manual cayman s for mid 40's with 100,000 k's.

looking online the cheapest Cayman s you can buy right now is 52k there is also nearly nothing for sale hen i was looking 12 were for sale and now there is only 3.

Is the Cayman going the way of the other water cooled cars recently? both 996 and 997 prices seem to have stabilized after a sharp rise in the last 3 years.

great for owners but no so great if you are looking to buy one!

anyone else noticed the price rise? are boxsters also being affected?

I think Boxster prices have been a stagnant, perhaps drifting slightly lower.  Supply is good - demand, not so much.  Lot's of cars are sitting and the good one's snapped up very soon after listing. 986s especially have drifted lower.  987 relatively flat. I haven't really tracked 981 prices because they're straddling 996/997 values.

I have been watching the market for ages and the really well priced good cars are gone in a week. I have been ready to buy for some time now and was almost going to buy a PDK Boxster because i couldn't find what i wanted, i settled on a 996 just this week.

Usually just market testers mate. They then realise after X amount of months they have no real interest and drop their prices accordingly, the same as 996's etc. If it's a great car it will sell at a higher price, yet if it needs bits n pieces done they'll be told soon enough they're asking too much. Caymans (as bloody good as they are) are still a tough market, yet most earlier ones are probably $10k over what would be an easy selling point. Look at 996's for $60k that haven't had the IMS done and other little problems, they're like a leper in a bikini contest! A good one will sell easily at that price

You're mate needs to go in hard with negotiations and see what happens

Yep agreed, it worked for me, the market is a little inflated i think around these cars, some are ridiculous prices at the moment.

I got some guidance from a couple of people and that helped in my purchase and the way i went about it and at the end of the sale, he was happy and so was i so it was win win.

4 hours ago, LeeM said:

You're mate needs to go in hard with negotiations and see what happens

9 hours ago, TINGY996 said:

I have been watching the market for ages and the really well priced good cars are gone in a week. I have been ready to buy for some time now and was almost going to buy a PDK Boxster because i couldn't find what i wanted, i settled on a 996 just this week.

Text me some photos please Tingy - don't be greedy!!

Have been watching the market for too long now. Many Caymans have been on the market for months, some of them over a year. Never move. Even if the preferred/common buyer seems to be chasing an S. Selling point for Cayman S has been $48-50k with 65-75k km. Last silver one sold in Qld in 2 days asking under 50k from a dealer. No different to 996.2 sellers wanting close to 70k for high km cars. They just sit. Black cars seem to be the hardest to sell also.

• 4 weeks later...

Lately, I've been going through an exercise to understand a worst case scenario, breaking down what a 2007 Cayman S would be worth in Parts? I'm guessing this would be the lowest $ option a Cayman Owner might have. This could also be used to understand risks of the price you might pay :)

Seats - $2k

Wheels - $2k

Suspension $2k

Modified Exhaust $400 ...

Chassis .. hard to price

Engine $4k

Gearbox $10k

What do you think parts would be worth for a working car?

For reference, I sold my white 2006 Cayman S Manual with 100k's in Sep 2017 for $57,000.

There is around 3 of them that are still for sale that were for sale 18 months ago, as well as a black one with chrome wheels which the buyer is selling the car a year later.

I think options mean everything on these Caymans.

1 hour ago, Senor Ed said:

For reference, I sold my white 2006 Cayman S Manual with 100k's in Sep 2017 for $57,000.

There is around 3 of them that are still for sale that were for sale 18 months ago, as well as a black one with chrome wheels which the buyer is selling the car a year later.

I think options mean everything on these Caymans.

This raises an interesting point. Gumtree ads will tell you when it was first listed (provided it's not the same ad being relisted).

Carsales only tells you when it was last updated. 

Knowing how long a particular vehicle has been on the market would be very useful in negotiations.

On 16/01/2019 at 16:10, Techno said:

Knowing how long a particular vehicle has been on the market would be very useful in negotiations.

Appears not with a lot of the guys selling, from most I've been in contact with they appear to have a figure in their head and won't budge. Even after the car has been in the marketplace for anything up to 12 months.

Drama is there isn't a lot of Caymans for sale, whereas Boxsters are a dime a dozen, you can pick up a Boxter S for same cash as a standard Cayman.

Archived