911 not going electric

rafikdous

3 hours ago, poli84 said:

Not sure how many charge bays they have at each station but wait time is a valid point and one that I have not seen addressed by any of the providers. However, I don't think it is an immediate concern given the 0.2%  current take up of EV but I'm sure like all things, if the demand increases, then you would imagine they have the capabilities to scale up the charge the points. 

No concern about unplugging a car, despite what James and Jeremy may joke about. As long as you remember to lock your car, the plug cannot be removed. 

Problem is that with current policy there is no capacity to scale up. We already lack adequate supply reserve in the grid. If an average house uses 14KWh/day then one 350kW charger is equivalent to 600 houses so a 10 stand charge station is 6,000 houses. This will require its own substation and new poles and wires right back to the (distributed) generation sources. Now let's put in 10,000 of these fast chargers around the country that's the same as 6,000,000 homes.

Moving the automotive fleet from Oil to Electric won't happen anytime soon and will be shockingly (pun intended) expensive. As far as electricity prices go you haven't seen anything yet so grab the popcorn. 

The virtue signallers will be able to strut their stuff for a long time yet.

Electrical connectors really hate two part epoxy in so many ways it would take pages to list them. Imagine coming back to your car and finding your charge cable glued to the socket. How long before someone comes that is qualified to cut the cable. Those behind you need to locate another charger and you are of to a dealership probably on a tray. Even just poking a pin into the cable will cause massive headache. This stuff is a vandals  dream.

On 17/05/2019 at 01:02, LeeM said:

Norway is 24 times smaller than Australia and 17.9million less people. They also have more snow to melt from the apparent global warming, so it makes sense for them to use EV's 😁

> Among the existing public incentives, all electric cars and vans are exempt from all non-recurring vehicle fees, including purchase taxes, and 25% VAT on purchase

> electric cars can park for free and use public transport lanes

> the tax exemptions on the purchase of an electric car are worth almost US$11,000 in comparison to the fully taxed price of a regular internal combustion engine car, which is equivalent to US$1,400 a year over a car's lifetime (8 years). The value of the toll exemption for driving into Oslo are worth US$1,400 per year, the free parking is worth US$5,000per year, and electric cars avoid other charges worth US$400 a year. Without adding value to the benefit of driving in bus lanes, the annual benefit of owning an electric car in Oslo is estimated at US$8,200 per car, per year

You could sell *anything* to the public if the government stepped in and forked out $8k per year in cash and prizes per vehicle.  It's hardly an endorsement of the technology.  You'd had to be the only mug on the street without your fingers deep in your neighbours tax pocket.

On 19/05/2019 at 19:38, Airhead said:

I just can't see it working.

Maybe I should open a brothel at one of these places.

I love that the PFA crew is full of ideas men

Like the Australian government would offer that sort of incentive to potential buyers! 😂😂

I'd buy an EV van in a heartbeat if I could afford it (and if Toyota actually made them), as it would save me $500 or more per month just on fuel

There is definitely a huge push for EVs. 

But also every other developed country in the world is building NEW coal fired power plants. NEW!!! Because they’ve realised they will need more power  

And our dumb government are trying to shut down our last few remaining ones and thinks it’s going to save the world.

if half the people in Adelaide plug in EVs to charge overnight they’d wipe out their grid  

9 minutes ago, reddahaydn said:

if half the people in Adelaide plug in EVs to charge overnight they’d wipe out their grid  

Only need 11teen spots of rain and a 20 kph wind to do that mate.

That's what makes me laugh with the 'EV' thing. The easiest way to shut down all the numpties banging on about renewable energy and the 'Coal and oil is killing the world' protestors, is to ask what powers the plants that make the phone/laptop/computer they're on, or what kind of power is required to make lithium ion batteries? How do you get around now if you dont own an electric vehicle? How is the power supplied to run an EV charger? Shuts most of them up pretty quickly 😁

On 20/05/2019 at 17:12, Redracn said:

Problem is that with current policy there is no capacity to scale up. We already lack adequate supply reserve in the grid. If an average house uses 14KWh/day then one 350kW charger is equivalent to 600 houses so a 10 stand charge station is 6,000 houses. This will require its own substation and new poles and wires right back to the (distributed) generation sources. Now let's put in 10,000 of these fast chargers around the country that's the same as 6,000,000 homes.

Moving the automotive fleet from Oil to Electric won't happen anytime soon and will be shockingly (pun intended) expensive. As far as electricity prices go you haven't seen anything yet so grab the popcorn. 

The virtue signallers will be able to strut their stuff for a long time yet.

Zackerly right.  And then, in the 'burbs when everyone has an electric vehicle and comes home at night and plugs it in while they watch Netflix - well, they won't be able to watch anything at all, 'cos the electrical infrastructure just won't cope unless there's massive upgrades to the entire network to cope with load.

15 hours ago, LeeM said:

Like the Australian government would offer that sort of incentive to potential buyers! 😂😂

I'd buy an EV van in a heartbeat if I could afford it (and if Toyota actually made them), as it would save me $500 or more per month just on fuel

Timely reminder that over half of that $500 per month is tax.  Petrol itself can be made and distributed very cheaply.   If everyone switched to electric I can guarantee the tax on electricity or vehicle usage will go up back to where petrol is at, wiping out the gains from ‘cheap to run’ electric cars. Handing out free stuff to voters has to come from somewhere.  

‘Cheap to run’ in electric cars really means ‘less tax paid per mile’.  The taxes go up until people really kick up a stink, not to some sort of magically calculated level.  Eventually the cost of running an electric car will mysteriously match what it costs to run a petrol one.

No point the govt wasting our $$$ in subsidies on the cars or infrastructure. And that's the only way they'll get the ball rolling til it all tips over 5 years later as it usually does.

Nuclear gen 4 power stations is the only way with current technology if they don't expand with coal. The Nuc 4 stations must be in place and running and THEN start pushing the EV's and charging infrastructure on us. Check back with me in 20 years when a few Nuc 4 stations are in operation. Until then it's all just fluff and bubbles ....