911 not going electric

rafikdous

When the take-up and usability of EVs is much lower than everyone planned, I think car makers in general will re-think the push for full EVs.

Now that real questions are being asked of how sustainable and useable battery cars are, I feel that the progress on them will slow, especially from a consumer point of view... I may be wrong, but it does not look like it..... 

1 hour ago, ANF said:

When the take-up and usability of EVs is much lower than everyone planned, I think car makers in general will re-think the push for full EVs.

Now that real questions are being asked of how sustainable and useable battery cars are, I feel that the progress on them will slow, especially from a consumer point of view... I may be wrong, but it does not look like it..... 

In Australia perhaps.
In the Northern hemisphere things are very different. 50% of new vehicles sold in Norway are EVs , 1 in 8 on the roads now are EVs.
Fossil fuel is expensive, electrons are relatively cheap .
If we could see Antarctica melting before our eyes and polar bears  penguins falling in to the ocean, we'd probably view things differently.
But we are lucky enough to live on a vast island continent. Even if the Koalas are dying out and our cities are choked.

Electric 911? Woopty-do , Basil. It will happen, one day.

3 hours ago, tazzieman said:

50% of new vehicles sold in Norway are EVs , 1 in 8 on the roads now are EVs

Norway is 24 times smaller than Australia and 17.9million less people. They also have more snow to melt from the apparent global warming, so it makes sense for them to use EV's 😁

Norway also has cheap Hydro electric power in abundance that is substantially less than power here .. Makes sense to have EV ...

They are also substantially cheaper in Norway as the government there has made it financially attractive to the consumer to purchase and EV ,,,example no VAT and free use of the motorways ,,no tolls and free parking in city ..

can anyone see our Useless Politicians doing that ........???

1 hour ago, LeeM said:

Norway is 24 times smaller than Australia and 17.9million less people. They also have more snow to melt from the apparent global warming, so it makes sense for them to use EV's 😁

The snow is melting from a different heat source there... yes it’s still humans causing it, just different 😜

I don't understand the whole negativity towards EVs. They aren't perfect when it comes to infrastructure yet but it will come and will happen. The range is approaching inter city travel distances and will be more realistic as battery chemistry improves. 

It's called progress and its no different to going from air cooled to water cooled, from NA to turbo. There are going to be multiple views pros and cons. Whilst they can still have ICE I believe the 911 will have one in some shape or form complimented by electric propulsion.  

I can tell you now that I wouldn't hesitate in picking up an EV as a daily driver. During summer we export over 100kwh back to the grid per day. With a 400V DC system we could super charge most EVs.  It's better I use it than give it to them for half the price I buy it back for.

I don't subscribe to the beliefs of Musk or Tesla but would love a Taycan when it's released. I truly believe the major car companies will squash him when they all start releasing their products. 

6 minutes ago, tazzieman said:

EVs are too effing quiet. I like to be able to just walk across the road without looking right.
You can't and won't make an old dog learn new tricks. I just hope EVs have excellent auto brakesteer. Or I'm dead as a dodo.

Road roulette. The modern road crossing zombies will just walk out in front of anything hoping it has an alert driver or autonomous systems. Let Darwin's theory rule I say.

1 hour ago, Redracn said:

Road roulette. The modern road crossing zombies will just walk out in front of anything hoping it has an alert driver or autonomous systems. Let Darwin's theory rule I say.

I'm not even texting. Just used to listening. Last century it was clip clop, which was good.
I got hit from behind by a cyclist on the footpath 2 days ago. She said OMG so sorry. Didn't see you. I must have been going too fast.
Told her perhaps she should take her chances on the road.

20 hours ago, tazzieman said:

I'm not even texting. Just used to listening. Last century it was clip clop, which was good.
I got hit from behind by a cyclist on the footpath 2 days ago. She said OMG so sorry. Didn't see you. I must have been going too fast.
Told her perhaps she should take her chances on the road.

Autonomous push bikes should be the next big thing 🤪 The braking part should be easy and could be done now. 

Autonomous pedestrians would be an upgrade for those who have lost all self preservation  genes. I have a spot already selected for the stop/go probe 👹

On 18/05/2019 at 18:31, Airhead said:

Arr. ...not really. I can drive a petrol car Melb to Sydney with one 10min fuel stop.

You cannot currently do that with an EV of any brand. There is a little (long) way to go yet.

Not quite, but very soon you will be able to.

Chargefox is currently setting up ultra fast stations to allow travel from Adelaide to Brisbane and are rolling out 21 Ultra Fast charge stations. They currently have 1 in Euroa, Barnawartha  and Toombul. The Ultra-fast stations can provide 400km of charge in just 15 minutes. Pair that with the offerings from Audi (e-tron) and the M-B (EQC) and the Taycan, which are all launching later this year/next year,  you soon will be able to drive from Melb to Sydney with 2 x 15 minute stops. I know that's not the same as 1 x 10 min fuel stop but the technology as well as the infrastructure are getting there (a double stop on that boring driving is not the end of the world, more opportunities for a country pie and a coffee that's too hot served in a mug). 

Don't get me wrong, I have no intentions of ever giving up my 964 and I only hope to add more classic cars to my garage in the future, but as a daily driver and the family car, I love the idea of an EV. Eliminate 'range anxiety' which is being done by company's such as Chargefox who have government and OEM funding as well as the next wave of EV's we are seeing from the big players, and they offer a different driving experience which is really enjoyable once you actually give them a go. 

network-85228b6f8c63f2c6fb87d3467b7a86330a86d254cc98a61601625e760574b215.thumb.png.24f03416e26c08d29bb872db5391db7a.png

charging_comparison-c66bbf35dd016e241f274685e89a5a5702f27a57fbc4d3b594adbcc62fbcd9a4.png.85795d508c892cfca359b8d4b45fe62c.png

When every claim is expressed as an "UP TO" you know your having your leg stretched. When the claim is about vapourware both legs are getting a good lengthening.

Assumptions like the car can do 400km in the first place on 80% charge as that is all you can get in a fast charge and no indication of the remaining charge at the end of the stated range. Seriously who would rely on the computers estimated range as you never know what headwinds you will face. After the first couple of charges range reduces with every charge and it reduces much faster when fast charging so if the promoters were honest they would use the range just before battery replacement and include all items that reduce the range such as AirCon and give you a guaranteed range. Yep I would like to see that a "guaranteed range" that is acceptable then we might be onto something. 

You would be mad to think you can just drive up to an empty charging bay. Join the very long line as most people travelling melb/syd  will arrive around the same time. 

2 hours ago, poli84 said:

Not quite, but very soon you will be able to.

Chargefox is currently setting up ultra fast stations to allow travel from Adelaide to Brisbane and are rolling out 21 Ultra Fast charge stations. They currently have 1 in Euroa, Barnawartha  and Toombul. The Ultra-fast stations can provide 400km of charge in just 15 minutes. Pair that with the offerings from Audi (e-tron) and the M-B (EQC) and the Taycan, which are all launching later this year/next year,  you soon will be able to drive from Melb to Sydney with 2 x 15 minute stops. I know that's not the same as 1 x 10 min fuel stop but the technology as well as the infrastructure are getting there (a double stop on that boring driving is not the end of the world, more opportunities for a country pie and a coffee that's too hot served in a mug). 

So I pull into a charge station for my 15 minute charge. Unfortunately its really busy on the road today and there are many other travelers to Sydney today so all of the 10 - 15 charging points are being used. And there is a queue of 4-6 cars lined up at each one of them. Now I'm not so good at math but that means I have to wait an awful long time till its my turn doesn't it?

And then some snotty 12 year old unplugs my car while its charging as I'm inside the facility having a meal, a shower, watching a movie or whatever else I'm supposed to do while I wait.

I just can't see it working.

Maybe I should open a brothel at one of these places.

1 hour ago, Airhead said:

So I pull into a charge station for my 15 minute charge. Unfortunately its really busy on the road today and there are many other travelers to Sydney today so all of the 10 - 15 charging points are being used. And there is a queue of 4-6 cars lined up at each one of them. Now I'm not so good at math but that means I have to wait an awful long time till its my turn doesn't it?

And then some snotty 12 year old unplugs my car while its charging as I'm inside the facility having a meal, a shower, watching a movie or whatever else I'm supposed to do while I wait.

I just can't see it working.

Maybe I should open a brothel at one of these places.

Not sure how many charge bays they have at each station but wait time is a valid point and one that I have not seen addressed by any of the providers. However, I don't think it is an immediate concern given the 0.2%  current take up of EV but I'm sure like all things, if the demand increases, then you would imagine they have the capabilities to scale up the charge the points. 

No concern about unplugging a car, despite what James and Jeremy may joke about. As long as you remember to lock your car, the plug cannot be removed.