Question about wheel adapters spacers

Nevdog69

Simple answer is NO for the front , Porsche never sold a wide body ( 911 Turbo ) 1978-1989  or a wide body ( Turbo Look ) 3.2 L NA with spacers on the front , just didn't happen as they are technically illegal on the front axle of cars sold to the public 

On the rear , the 3.3 Turbo or the factory M491 option ( Turbo Look 3.2L NA ) had a modest factory rear spacer of 28mm thick ( 930 331 611 06 )

Well I was close @9er 😁

I know I had a pair of spacers that had 'Turbo' stamped on them, and pretty sure they were around the 20mm mark

Edit: Just found a text I sent to Tom who I sold them to. They were 27mm spacers with the Turbo stamp 

Yep you are correct , the early 3.3 Turbo up to 1980 had a spacer on the front ( 477 501 701 = 21mm thick ) , from 1981 to 1989 the 3.3 Turbo or the factory wide body had no front spacers , meaning Porsche did it properly ( 1981-1989) and made a dedicated front hub so a spacer was not needed  , memory can get in old age gets a bit fuzzy at times & I mainly worked on the 81 > Turbos & you get used to seeing no spacer

I must admit it does seem quite strange seeing a car maker using a spacer on the front , most people just would not believe it

It amazes me that Porsche would do this instead of just making wider wheels to make use of the space they made and making them with the correct offset. Surely there was the case for this and we would have seen so much more lovely dish :D 

1 hour ago, Buchanan Automotive said:

I must admit it does seem quite strange seeing a car maker using a spacer on the front , most people just would not believe it

I agree.

On 07/08/2019 at 14:52, Nevdog69 said:

Hi my widebody 911 sc has rather large spacers/adapters.  Like 50mm at rear and 25mm at the front.  Did Porsche produce vehicles with these spacers?

are they safe

Think about it this way, if you ditch the spacers you can get new wheels with much radder dish. 

Mmm, I’m confused. I have beautiful 3 piece wheels that I don’t want to ditch.  What is the difference between a bolt on adapter and a wheel with greater offset.  Both will put the same strain on the studs and bearings won’t they?

did the wide body have hubs further out? Or was it just increased wheel offset ?

Archived