So this is how this whole thing started

1956MtAlexanderRdMooneePonds_zps919f7c19.jpg

My first encounter with a porker.

Photo taken around 1955/56 at the BP in Mt Alexander Road, Essendon.

I was minding my own business riding my push bike with my mate, and got called into the servo.

The photographer wanted some willing hands with a bit of elbow grease to show off the spyder

This photo appeared on the front page of the AGE and was all about this Porsche Spyder that had just come across to start racing in Australia. I believe it is the same one that Lindsay FOX has in his collection.

I am the little tacker on the front left as you look at the car.

desismileys_3094-1_zps0fd46719.gif

Great story, Niko.

I think you need to claim back the 550 from Lin Fox. You had your hands on it first. :)

Thanks Gents, Harves I actually sent him a letter a few years ago with a copy of the photo, telling him the story, but I never heard anything more about it, I just thought he might like the photo.

Hi Kevin, that is the one I believe, I unfortunately can't remember what the colour was when I first met it way back then.

I have a clipping on it somewhere and it also mentions that Jerry Seinfield has the sister car of this one.

We checked out Lindsay fox's collection a few years ago with the PCV and I was reunited with it and got a couple of photos again with it. After more years than I care to remember.

I have a similar story Niko (but no pics). When I was about 7 or so, a guy let me climb all over his D Type Jag, Yes – a real one. The noise as he tore up the road left a lasting impression and I started reading sports car books. Such a big change to what I was used to in country Victoria. My dad had a 38 Chrysler then and the Jag was seemingly from outa space. Had the disease since that day.

I have a similar story Niko (but no pics). When I was about 7 or so, a guy let me climb all over his D Type Jag, Yes – a real one. The noise as he tore up the road left a lasting impression and I started reading sports car books. Such a big change to what I was used to in country Victoria. My dad had a 38 Chrysler then and the Jag was seemingly from outa space. Had the disease since that day.

Great stuff, strange things that happen when your a youngster, that just send you off on these paths for the rest of your life.

(glad you didn't end up going the Jag route though)

I just can't understand people who say "A car is just a car, to get you from point A to Point B".

They just don't get it!

Thanks Steve re the Avatar and story.

The servo is still there it is on the corner of Mt Alexander Road and St James Street, it is actually classed as Moonee Ponds, I did say Essendon, but it really is Moonee Ponds

I used to live one street to the South of it Grandison Street. Can't help you with the name of the proprietor though

Great stuff, strange things that happen when your a youngster, that just send you off on these paths for the rest of your life.

(glad you didn't end up going the Jag route though)

I just can't understand people who say "A car is just a car, to get you from point A to Point B".

They just don't get it!

Thanks Steve re the Avatar and story.

It's great to read about the inspirations for a lifelong passion. I was also "infected" at a young age. My elderly neighbours still had a Mk11 Jag which they'd bought new in 1958. I was fascinated by the elegance of that old car. After they passed away, I helped their grandson restore the inherited car.

There's still a place in the garage when the right Mk11 comes along. It's not all about P cars.

My first Porsche experience was a Lesney (not Matchbox) dark green 911. Many hours playing in the dirt with that one.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks gents, your right though npv, photos are a great history story teller. Get those kids out there and take the shot....who knows what it will lead to ......

Archived