My first Porsche :)

Hi guys,

Thought I would jump on an introduce myself.

My name is Simon from Victoria, Iv owned a few Jap sports cars in the past and motorbikes ect, but have not owned a euro sports car (if you can call it that)Was offered a deal I just couldnt say no too, and a 1978 Porsche 924 was part of that deal.

I did have a look at it before commiting and it does need work. Currently un registered and has been sitting in a shed for 5 years.

However it had a Road worthy completed just before going into storage so has brand new tyres, had oiles changed ect..

On towing it home, and having a look at it in more detail is seems to have a leak from a hose in the engine bay, the rear left tail light has a hole in it, and the the clutch is a pedal atm seems the cable has snapped as there is no pressure on it.

The oil is extrememly clean looking but will flush all fluids before I get it running and might look into getting a mechanic out to have a look over to give me an idea of what else it needs.

Anyways enough rambling from me, here is the beauty

924side.jpg

Hi Simon,

Welcome and nice car. I have a soft spot for the 924's as without them Porsche would not be what it is today.

If you need help guidance and advice regarding getting her back on the road, fel free to ask and post questions in the technical section of the forum.

The issues you state seem like very easy ones that you could possibly, if willing put right yourself.

Ensure to post pictures of items that need repairing. The whole idea is to save you time and money on mechanics bills and keep these great cars on the road.

Merry Christmas!!!

Thans guys,

I was hoping to be able to fix these issues myself but I am hopeless when it comes to mechanical problems. But will deffinatley give them a try.

Merry Christmas to you guys too and hopefully in the New Year the 924 will be on the road :)

Welcome Simon.

Not too many 924's running about these days. Makes yours a bit special I suppose.

You'll learn a lot by having a go and getting your hands dirty. If in doubt, ASK. There are plenty of P car owners and enthusiasts with a wealth of knowledge.

Enjoy your new car and look forward to seeing you on a SMT soon.

welcome and congrats

The 924 is a really great handling car and I'm sure it will be a lot of fun to drive. If you can do anything yourself then it can save you a lot of money so it's worth learning to do as much as possible yourself. Once you get caught up on maintenance the car should be very reliable

peace

Cyberpunky

Thanks for the warm welcome guys,

Have spoken to a local mechanic who is going to do a compression check on the engine to make sure there is life in it before we get underway with fixing her up.

Over the next month around work I am hoping to get it fired up at least and then get all the bits and pieces sorted.

Looking over the car yesterday properly, the paint work is fantastic, for a 35 year old car it is really good. There is a couple small dints here and there but only noticable depending on the angle your standing at.

The interior is where a lot of work is needed (besides getting the engine running) the drivers seat has a tear, the dash has cracks and the aircondtioner unit is falling apart. But ATM that is the least of my concerns.

Will keep you guys posted.

Hope everyone had a great christmas and a great new years on Monday :)

Hi Simon, that does look like a good starter.. for your project. Good luck with it keep the photos and updates coming.

Welcome Simon! That looks like a fun project :) keep us updated on the progress as you go!

Thanks guys, Got her to start up last week (and sounded beautiful :D ) but would stall as soon as it was running.

Iv since taken it to a mechanic to get him to have a look over the car to give me an idea of what it will need for a Road Worthy and to see if theres any issues I havent spotted yet.

But once he has had a look over it, my dad and myself will crack into it and hopefully get it on the road in no time (well thats the plan anyway)

Very excited tho, she aint much but shes still a porsche :)

Its a Porsche and don't let anyone tell you any different.

The Type 924 was originally a design project by porsche for VW, when the oil crisis hit in the early-mid 70's, VW panic'd and pulled out.

Which was a marvellous opportunity for porsche to replace their 914 and 912E entry level offerings.

The 924 evolved to the 944 and then 968.

When I was growing up, in a small regional town, the local dentist had a green 924. I used to just circle it in the carpark on my Malvern Star..........in love with it as it wasn't a torana and promised so much more(and delivered).

I'd love to get a nice, original un-molested Green 924, with Pascha interior.......They rock.

So, you see, if anyone calls it a poor mans porsche or just a dressed up VW you can just let it slide.

Because, dear boy, you own a 1970's Porsche. And that is something very special........

Its a Porsche and don't let anyone tell you any different.

The Type 924 was originally a design project by porsche for VW, when the oil crisis hit in the early-mid 70's, VW panic'd and pulled out.

Which was a marvellous opportunity for porsche to replace their 914 and 912E entry level offerings.

The 924 evolved to the 944 and then 968.

When I was growing up, in a small regional town, the local dentist had a green 924. I used to just circle it in the carpark on my Malvern Star..........in love with it as it wasn't a torana and promised so much more(and delivered).

I'd love to get a nice, original un-molested Green 924, with Pascha interior.......They rock.

So, you see, if anyone calls it a poor mans porsche or just a dressed up VW you can just let it slide.

Because, dear boy, you own a 1970's Porsche. And that is something very special........

Haha thats great, and definatley how I feel.

The bloke I bought it off was a really nice guy, but he actually said to me he wouldnt consider it a nice car (then again he has had some pretty nice euros in the past), but I do feel pretty special to own a porsche at age of 22, even tho its a porsche that isnt running and the cheapest model :P But its still a porsche, a car I never thought I'd own

I will start a new thread once I get her back and will keep it posted with updates on the progress :)

Haha thats great, and definatley how I feel.

The bloke I bought it off was a really nice guy, but he actually said to me he wouldnt consider it a nice car (then again he has had some pretty nice euros in the past), but I do feel pretty special to own a porsche at age of 22, even tho its a porsche that isnt running and the cheapest model :P But its still a porsche, a car I never thought I'd own 4

I will start a new thread once I get her back and will keep it posted with updates on the progress :)

A Porsche at 22............pipe dream for most, me included.

Great stuff.

Hi Simon,

Is it an Aussie delivered 924 as the rear lights and bumper appear to be different to any that I have seen advertised? Looks like a great little project.

Steve

I have no idea, since taking ownership I really havent had a chance to do any research on the car.

I have no real idea of the history either,

The previous owner told me he bought it 5 years ago from a young guy who used it as a daily driver, it had a road worthy and all that and kept in his shed ever since until I picked her up.

There was a special edition 924 brought out with the bumpers that appear to be on my car, does anyone have any idea if this may have been one of them?

Im taking 2 weeks annual leave at the end of January so that will be the time I crack into the car :)

The rear bumper indicates it is US car. Also the reflector on the front guard is a US only item. Check under the dash and see if you can see if the pedals have been swapped over.

924s are great cars. I had one for a few years and loved it.

Thankyou, will check next time Im with the car. Very excited to find out as much as I can about the history of my car.

Yeah I'm very excited to get it going, seems like a small and nible car, wont have a lot of power but seems like it might remind me of my old nissan 180sx I had running a non-turbo 2litre.

Thanks again guys, I'm sure ill have plenty of stupid questions for you all while I get the car up and running

Archived