Harry,s Garage 992 GT3 real world review

• 1 month later...

I was thinking of this video of Harry's when I watched this one last night... As you'll hear, he said he drove GT3's before that were as Harry described them, but this Touring didn't pull all over the road and was more comfortable... 

He said the suspension is the same so he puts it all down to the GT3's he drove before being on Cup 2's while this Touring was on PZero Corsa's, which have a softer side wall.

48 minutes ago, JWM said:

I was thinking of this video of Harry's when I watched this one last night... As you'll hear, he said he drove GT3's before that were as Harry described them, but this Touring didn't pull all over the road and was more comfortable... 

He said the suspension is the same so he puts it all down to the GT3's he drove before being on Cup 2's while this Touring was on PZero Corsa's, which have a softer side wall.

Definitely seems more muted during WOT than the 991.2 - after market exhaust for these is going to unlock so much more noise once they’re out of warranty.

I spent a day on track in Qld with Porsche this week in a new GT3 driving absolutely flat out all day. For context purposes I currently own a 991.2 GT3 RS and previously owned a 991.1 GT3, a 991.2 GT3 and 991.2 GT3 Touring.

The 992 GT3 is just as loud, if not louder inside than any of these cars. And on the outside at WOT throttle, it is as equally loud as previous models although the sound is deeper. Overall, I liked it a lot and have no idea why anyone would want anything louder...unless they are thirteen. 

IMG_7911.jpg

They were brand new. It was only their 2nd on track. On this day, each car did around 150 laps. I did around 40-50 laps. The cars were pulling as hard at the end of the day as they were at the beginning. And all cars were on iron brakes and were stopping as hard in the final session as they were in the first. 

On 30/12/2021 at 06:15, Raven said:

BMW beaver teeth agree it looks ridiculous  , not a fan :Chuckle2:

Two small openings above the bumper line or top of number plate and another full width opening below bottom of number plate similar to previous model would have looked much better ..But what do I know I am not a car designer , its the Homer car LOL :Beer:

In defence of the M3/M4, I actually like the front...indeed, liked it even from the get go...to the extent that I went out and bought an M4 Cab...and I have to tell you.....it's a great car!

Since I got it I have not driven my Boxster GTS 4.0 one kilometre. It's that addictive.

IMG_7498.jpg

23 minutes ago, hugh said:

Was there a noticeable difference over the 991.2 @WGA

Quantum leap IMHO. You are really are now getting 991.2 GT3 RS performance in a GT3. What everyone says about the turn-in is true. On track you feel it instantly. The front end really dives into a corner and the whole rotates so much faster...almost too fast in some corners. And it pulls hard. Luke Youlden put down a reference lap that was almost 2 secs faster than a GT3 RS.

Oh... and BTW, my instructor for the day was none other than the lendendary Stevie Johnson. Great guy and very helpful.

9 minutes ago, WGA said:

Quantum leap IMHO. You are really are now getting 991.2 GT3 RS performance in a GT3. What everyone says about the turn-in is true. On track you feel it instantly. The front end really dives into a corner and the whole rotates so much faster...almost too fast in some corners. And it pulls hard. Luke Youlden put down a reference lap that was almost 2 secs faster than a GT3 RS.

Oh... and BTW, my instructor for the day was none other than the lendendary Stevie Johnson. Great guy and very helpful.

Makes you wonder what the 992 RS will be like? 

8 hours ago, WGA said:

I was very interested in a 992 gt3 purchase , but when I contacted my dealer , they told me I had a very slim chance of getting one and that it was a 12 to 18 months wait , currently looking at 991.2 GT3 RS instead and looking at a purchase tomorrow if the car is in the condition the owner claims .

In 18 months or so I may consider a upgrade to 992 GT3 or The RS , but I doubt I will ever be unhappy with a 991.2 GT3 RS , will be interesting to see what the 992 GT3 RS will be like . once I get the 991 car I will see if I can put my name down for a 992 RS and see what happens ..

9 hours ago, WGA said:

They were brand new. It was only their 2nd on track. On this day, each car did around 150 laps...

Well they're second hand track hacks now 😁

My point above was regarding @Raven experience with the salesman who didn't own up to knowing the cars he was interested in had done track time.

(Well I think it was Raven 🤔)

9 hours ago, WGA said:

Thanks for the insights, sounds like its time to rebook the COVID delayed track day up there with Porsche!  

10 hours ago, hugh said:

Makes you wonder what the 992 RS will be like? 

Pretty undrivable on the road is my guess. I still have my EOI in (from years ago) but I'm increasingly thinking I won't take it up based on a number of factors.

I'm sure it'll be fantastic on the track.

14 minutes ago, sleazius said:

Pretty undrivable on the road is my guess. I still have my EOI in (from years ago) but I'm increasingly thinking I won't take it up based on a number of factors.

I'm sure it'll be fantastic on the track.

I love my 996 but I am very curious to explore the capabilities of a newer GT3 in a competitive environment. Difficulty is knowing when to stop.....................

2 hours ago, Raven said:

I was very interested in a 992 gt3 purchase , but when I contacted my dealer , they told me I had a very slim chance of getting one and that it was a 12 to 18 months wait , currently looking at 991.2 GT3 RS instead and looking at a purchase tomorrow if the car is in the condition the owner claims .

In 18 months or so I may consider a upgrade to 992 GT3 or The RS , but I doubt I will ever be unhappy with a 991.2 GT3 RS , will be interesting to see what the 992 GT3 RS will be like . once I get the 991 car I will see if I can put my name down for a 992 RS and see what happens ..

You definitely won't be unhappy with the 991.2 GT3 RS. Even when my 992 GT3 Touring arrives in early June, I am keeping my 991.2 RS.

36 minutes ago, hugh said:

I love my 996 but I am very curious to explore the capabilities of a newer GT3 in a competitive environment. Difficulty is knowing when to stop.....................

The question is always "can you afford to bin 1?", the answer to that question leads to how far you'll take it.

For me its less about that, and more about the fact that these days I'm 99.9% road driving. Should have put my name down on a touring.

5 hours ago, Raven said:

makes you wonder how you get on the merry-go-round, as now you won't stand a chance for a 992.2/993 (or whatever is next) as you didn't get a 992 from the dealer (if you still cant get one after waiting) 😂

56 minutes ago, cafe_racer said:

makes you wonder how you get on the merry-go-round, as now you won't stand a chance for a 992.2/993 (or whatever is next) as you didn't get a 992 from the dealer (if you still cant get one after waiting) 😂

I mentioned potentially moving my RS pre-order (I put $5k on that maybe 3 years ago) to something else and it was insinuated that it wouldn't be a good idea for future purchases (keep in mind I bought a GT3 from the dealer last time around, so its not like I'm a flake).

If not for the fact that I'm trying to play friendly to get a GT4 RS, I'd have said jam it - you can lose my number when all of these flippers can't get cheap credit anymore.

16 hours ago, WGA said:

In defence of the M3/M4, I actually like the front...indeed, liked it even from the get go...to the extent that I went out and bought an M4 Cab...and I have to tell you.....it's a great car!

Since I got it I have not driven my Boxster GTS 4.0 one kilometre. It's that addictive.

IMG_7498.jpg

I agree. Its so modern. BMW designs are only truly appreciated 2-3 generations down the road.