Harry,s Garage 992 GT3 real world review

Generally these reviews are on a track and if they do drive on any roads they are generally decent ones , good to see a different point of view done on average roads much like what we have here in Australia , the twitchy nature of the car on poor roads dose n,t bother me  as I understand the reasons for it and also know other track focused cars like this behave in the same way . nose lift is a must have just for pure practicality and dont understand why anyone would not have it ,who wants to be scraping the nose constantly or risk damaging any of the small air veins under the car ..

More than likely I will be looking at a 991.2 GT3 as there seems to be no chance of getting a 992 version and there are some lovely 991.2 on the market ..

1 hour ago, Raven said:

Generally these reviews are on a track and if they do drive on any roads they are generally decent ones , good to see a different point of view done on average roads much like what we have here in Australia , the twitchy nature of the car on poor roads dose n,t bother me  as I understand the reasons for it and also know other track focused cars like this behave in the same way . nose lift is a must have just for pure practicality and dont understand why anyone would not have it ,who wants to be scraping the nose constantly or risk damaging any of the small air veins under the car ..

More than likely I will be looking at a 991.2 GT3 as there seems to be no chance of getting a 992 version and there are some lovely 991.2 on the market ..

I am interested to see how touring version owners feel like with this car, as they are mainly driven on  regular roads and rarely on the track. 

May be 997 GT3s  (as harry pointed out 😉)

I would think the Touring would have shock and damper changes to make it more suitable to fast mountain roads and so on .

I have driven 991.2 GT3 on our shitty roads and I didn,t find it an issue , i expected it would behave that way and loved the feedback ..

From every thing I have read about the 992 GT3 the changes to the front suspension double wishbone and steering recalibration to suit have made what was already a razor sharp sensitive front end on the 991.2 even more hyper sensitive . some like this feel others find it to much work , just depends on the sort of driving experience someone is after ,personally I like it as I have formula cars and am used to that sort of feel ..

9 hours ago, wilson59 said:

The lift kit in these cars are a standard fitment item he should have searched harder to find the button . 

GBP 2214 option in the UK for lift kit. Australia often gets more highly specified cars by default, but it is the least they can do given the Aussie fisting fee we pay.

7 minutes ago, 9r said:

In England the front lift kit is not standard on the GT3. Australian delivered cars ( from a lot of European brands ) often have a number of options included in the standard price.

Posted while I was looking up the price :Chuckle2:

This guy evidently has more money than me (not all that difficult).  I can't imagine doing that to a brand new 911... surely there are lots of gritty bightey bits being flung out of the wheel arches, not to mention the outcome of being pulled into the snowbank.  Looks like a hell of a lot of fun though.  I'd be happy to try it with someone else's car (excluding the normal 'you bend, you mend clause)...  😁

Edit: Embedding not allowed, have to click on the linky.

"Porsche 992 Turbo- He knows how to drive his Porsche"
https://youtu.be/E5YBKkVnop0

On 21/12/2021 at 21:45, GTP911 said:

Think the review says more about Harry, than the the GT3.... e.g If it's too loud, your too old.

Exactly what I thought.  He spent the first 15min taliking about comfort, storage and practical crap. Then finally at about 15.5min he hits the gas and his face is filled w joy. I like and respect his journey re cars but it is starting to look a bit like he should stick to his Range Rover….he’s let the old man in.  Why review a GT3 as if it’s a daily ?…..is beyond me.  (Though I also find daily’s being reviewed on track as track cars odd!)

5 hours ago, mc968cs said:

Exactly what I thought.  He spent the first 15min taliking about comfort, storage and practical crap. Then finally at about 15.5min he hits the gas and his face is filled w joy. I like and respect his journey re cars but it is starting to look a bit like he should stick to his Range Rover….he’s let the old man in.  Why review a GT3 as if it’s a daily ?…..is beyond me.  (Though I also find daily’s being reviewed on track as track cars odd!)

I guess what he was saying is you could daily previous iterations on the shitty B roads in the UK, but he felt not this one. Living in an area that exclusively has shitty b-roads i'm super interested to see how it goes out here compared to the 991.2. 

The reality is the majority of people who own one of these (especially in the UK) only own 2 cars due to a lack of parking. Chances are most people who buy one will need to daily it at some point.

Re Harry's complaint about it tram tracking with the cambers, I imagine that would be practically any new sport focussed car would do the same, as they're not built for B roads. Even my old thing has a neg camber setting, and it transformed the handling with initial turn in, yet also made it a bit nervous (aka shit) on bumpy roads at the same time. It also f..ks your tyres a lot quicker too, so it's a compromise you just have to deal with if you want a car to handle better.

And I reckon the 997 is a better looking car than the 992

5 hours ago, LeeM said:

Re Harry's complaint about it tram tracking with the cambers, I imagine that would be practically any new sport focussed car would do the same, as they're not built for B roads. Even my old thing has a neg camber setting, and it transformed the handling with initial turn in, yet also made it a bit nervous (aka shit) on bumpy roads at the same time. It also f..ks your tyres a lot quicker too, so it's a compromise you just have to deal with if you want a car to handle better.

And I reckon the 997 is a better looking car than the 992

I can confirm the 991.2 does not do this. I live on the fringe of Sydney, lots of B roads. Never had it tramline yet.

22 minutes ago, hugh said:

Agree. I'm really struggling to love the front end of the 992 GT3.................It's actually making a 991.2 much more attractive to me. 

In the flesh you don't notice the snout so much, its the rear end of it that looks a bit off to my eye. Although in pictures I agree, its not a looker.

16 minutes ago, hugh said:

Agree. I'm really struggling to love the front end of the 992 GT3.................It's actually making a 991.2 much more attractive to me. 

Same here. Was hating BMW front piggy nostrils. GT3, unfortunately got similar shades. As mentioned above 991.2 or 997  are far more attractive. 

On 22/12/2021 at 09:31, Raven said:

I would think the Touring would have shock and damper changes to make it more suitable to fast mountain roads and so on .

My understanding is that the suspension, driveline, and basically everything is the same between the regular GT3 and the Touring. The only difference is the wing and front bar?

I am also having a hard time coming around to the new nostrils, and BMW has lost the plot going all in on that stupid 'Beaver Teef' front end for the Chinese market. 

BMW beaver teeth agree it looks ridiculous  , not a fan :Chuckle2:

Two small openings above the bumper line or top of number plate and another full width opening below bottom of number plate similar to previous model would have looked much better ..But what do I know I am not a car designer , its the Homer car LOL :Beer:

m3_grille-1.jpg