Camouflage cops go undercover to spring speed trap

Jimmy

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If, instead of Two guys in camo, one station wagon with all their gear and two tog cars they just placed one tog car in that spot NO ONE would speed there . But that wouldn`t be as safe as catching people after they have already sped , or would it

It stuns me how we just take this blatant activity on the chin

just cop it sweet

No one protests, we just pay up

If we delve deeper, we will probably find that the camouflaged heroes are private contractors

and we are being asked to believe that they have no targets nor incentives to chalk up as many evil speedsters as they can

and we are told that it isn't about the money, it is about 'speed kills'

Yeah, right

I have no sympathy for inappropriate speeding

but I have a great cynicism of the inappropriate speed limits which proliferate our roads

and the manner that these are policed and that motorists are fleeced

the wonderful freedom that the motor car once represented is being eroded because the motorist is 'taxed' at every opportunity

don't kid yourself, there is a clear budget for the revenue that speeding generates, and every state is climbing on the bandwagon to raise more revenue with something that is not understood by the citizen muppets as the tax that it is

For a while the (then incoming) NSW Government got real about the continuous increase in speed cameras, and lambasted the then (Labor) government about it.  They made lots of commonsense promises about pulling out the cameras that did not contribute to road safety.  They enjoyed a lot of support as a result.  Once in power, their promises were kept.  For about 12 months.  Then, the siren call of our money became too strong and now we are getting ever more cameras.

So, who is complaining?  Where is the protest?

If I sound sore, that is wrong, I'm just sad at the continual erosion of our freedom.  I bought my 911 nearly 30 years ago, when it was my daily driver.  I would go to work very early in the morning on great freeways that were devoid of traffic, and once it was warm would 'pop' it into 5th gear at a little over 200kmh and cruise to work.  Every day.  Cloverleaf interchanges were an opportunity to toss it sideways and look at the road ahead thru the side windows . . . . . .

So, I've had my fun and I still have my magic one owner 911.  I'm just sad to see the continual chipping away at our freedoms and feel fortunate that I'm old enough to have enjoyed the true magic of an earlier time. 

and, just in case you had any doubts about the probity, honesty, reliability, or the fact that it isn't the money that is at the bottom of the increase in speed cameras, the company running the program for the government has just been excluded from the tender process in Chicago for acting inappropriately and may have bribed city officers:

read this

Thanks sydr for your comment and opinion, it all rings very true.

And yet they get continued support in NSW and probably the rest of the country, even though they have committed major corruption.

I have cut and pasted 3 sections of the story.

- "For five months, the firm, which is listed on the Australian
Securities Exchange, has been battling allegations of impropriety after
the Chicago Tribune revealed it paid a $US910 ($884) hotel bill for the city official in charge of granting red-light camera contracts. "

- "The newspaper also revealed in October that a friend of the
official had received more than $US570,000 in lobbying commissions since
Chicago's red light camera program began."

- "A spokeswoman for Roads and Maritime Services said it would ''continue
to monitor the developments in the US … In the meantime, Redflex
operations as a major provider of camera technology for speed, red
light, point-to-point and mobile enforcement contract services to RMS
will continue as normal''.

When you drive you like a nice road to drive on !

You pay a lot federal,state,local taxes and charges and fines supposedly to improve roads.

I live the same distance from work, but each year it takes me longer to get there.

When a new house or building goes up in the streets the contractors (who use heavy trucks) dig up part of the road for services and then do a patch up which falls apart 6 months after they finish.For safety I like to travel in the left lane away from on coming cars but with the patched up roads or freeways with truck damage it becomes unsafe especially in the wet and expensive on car maintainence. 

The Authorities state that the roundabouts,speed humps,extra traffic lights and lower speed limits are all about safety !

- WHY then aren't those charges used to improve the roads/pedestrian crossing points so that they can put the speed limits for cars back to a reasonably level. After all roads were designed for cars ! 

Next thing we will be back to having someone walk in front with a red flag and we will have to pay for them !!   :angry:

I will ask for the flag to have a Porsche emblem (it may be extra though).

The great thing about old Porsches is you can drive them around in 2-3rd gear , relishing in the wicked mechanical noise and general roughness which makes them feel a lot faster than they are. Plus if it takes 2-3 seconds longer to 100 kmhr , there's even more time to enjoy the howl. As they say - with the 915 gearbox it's 0-100 in 4 seconds - plus the time spent changing gear  :)

You've just got to find the right roads to take the leash off. If you commute in a modern supercar , you will need all the mod cons & gizmos on board just to make the ride less painful.

Agree wholeheartedly with you Sid. I'd rather they just come out and call it Theft. Then at least you don't feel like you're being rapped over the knuckles by the Nanny Police. Call it what it is. We are such sheep in this country. The Govt won't fork out the money to develop proper driver training. They don't give a rats about the death and massive traffic queues caused by accidents on a daily basis. All they care about is raking in the money and staying in power for anther 4 years. Someone should form a class action and sue the Govt for sitting on their hands while all this mayhem is going on around them.

I would say that 85%+ of the people on the roads today shouldn't have a licence with what you see on a daily basis. Follow the German system where obtaining a driver's license is taken seriously and involves decent instruction, education and money. Look at the speeds they travel on the Autobahns and the lack of accidents they have compared to us. We can't even educate people to move out of the fast lane so I guess it's a big task.  

Archived