Camouflage cops go undercover to spring speed trap

Jimmy

Interesting subject.

I personaly don't have an issue with cameras or the camo guys.

Are we suggesting we should have a sporting chance when it comes to breaking the law ?

I can lose my licence in first gear in the 930.

That's a risk I take every time I drive it.

I know the rules, if I do get cought doing the wrong thing, so be it.

Having said that, I do feel its more related to money that safety.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

See the latest in today's Telegraph. Cops are hiding in Army disguise trapping people on some lonely road just where the first piece of road for some time gives you the chance to overtake. Take a look at the paper or you can probably just google it. Tell me about 'these good citizens' just protecting the greater community. Seriously, it's more criminal what they're doing in many situations than the people they fine. Just another example of the Nanny state we live in. Shameful. 

Steve,

I recall a conversation about these buggers on a SMT a year ago.

Is it a re-hash for the media and all non-Porsche drivers!

Cheers to all

Andrew

Your right Andrew, we were surprised on the road they are talking about by a young copper in full uniform, standing on the side of the road. We had been doing the right thing and he actually waved us thru. There had been a Bombadoor from memory, who had been pushing up hard behind us, because he appeared on our tails very quickly. Copper pulled him over and I would think booked him. This young copper, had no radar in his hands so we could only summise there was someone hiding in the bushes some distance back, with a radar and sending the alleged speed of the "offender" down to the other copper. So this style of "policing" has been going on for some time. Having said that I do believe their main targets are the bikes.

it's insidious, and it's money driven.

many of the roads around here were 100kph limits, and in shocking condition. Each time the road was repaired, the speed limit lowered to 80kph.  In the case of the Old Pac, now 60 and 50kph on a road that used to be 100.

This means that they can argue that the lower speed limit was the solution to the lower accident rate, rather than the improvement in conditions.

They installed red light and speed camera combos here in the last 6 months.  The intersections that have the speed cameras fitted have had the timing changed so that the lights stay green for no longer than 5 to 10 seconds.  These are major intersections!  It encourages people to speed up to get through or wait another 2 minutes at every intersection, or run the red.  Is this encouraging safety, or encouraging a rule breaking related fine?  I believe the latter.

And all the stupid sheep thank them for giving out the fines.

Last week I took the old pac for boredom relief from the
freeway.  I put the cruise control on set at 60kph in the crusty mazda
parts chaser, and I didn't have to disengage it once for the entire trip
except for the T intersection in the middle. 

Between the thieving Govt and the mindless moronic public driven by the frenzied media...it's extremely difficult to enjoy a road car any more. That's why I don't bother owning a road going Porsche. Way too frustrating. Instead I spend stupid amounts of money not getting my kicks on the track....'not', because the car is usually in the workshop getting modified even further. Should have taken up Stamp Collecting! 

I dont know whether it was just NSW, but a radar unit had to clearly display a sign that a radar was in operation, even though they are small and put as far off the road as possible, but in plain view, as well as the unit itself. Of course they were in plain view as you passed them. No distance was stipulated, as I understand it.

And maybe they have changed the rules....again

I dont know whether it was just NSW, but a radar unit had to clearly display a sign that a radar was in operation, even though they are small and put as far off the road as possible, but in plain view, as well as the unit itself. Of course they were in plain view as you passed them. No distance was stipulated, as I understand it.

And maybe they have changed the rules....again

Not here in lovely Nanny state Vic.......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Between the thieving Govt and the mindless moronic public driven by the frenzied media...it's extremely difficult to enjoy a road car any more. That's why I don't bother owning a road going Porsche. Way too frustrating.

C'mon! An old 911 will put the smile back on your face. I absolutely relish each and every trip,  even if it's a quick fang to the post office or the commute into work The 944 is OK but feels quite modern and not fun until you are pressing on in the corners.

OZ930,

I take great pleasure in driving in VIC right on the limit, exhaust in sport mode, cruise on. I'm sure it pisses them off they can't get you for something more than if you we're actually speeding, oh & wave as you go by just for good measure.

OZ930,

I take great pleasure in driving in VIC right on the limit, exhaust in sport mode, cruise on. I'm sure it pisses them off they can't get you for something more than if you we're actually speeding, oh & wave as you go by just for good measure.

Careful, they'll get you for the sports exhaust exceeding the allowable db threshold.

Can they book you for the noise without measuring or do they send you to have it checked ?

You get a notice telling you to get it checked. Then you have to fix it if it's too loud. There are fines and time limits to do this.

Yes you get a little letter from a department called the EPA.

You have about 30 days to have the car tested at your expense at an authorised test station. Each vehicle has a nominated noise level that it can not exceed at a particular RPM.

For example, a 1995 Carrera-4 993 has a threshhold of 90db(applies to all post Nov-83 cars), plus an additional 2db allowance because it is rear engined, at a 4575RPM.

I can tell you this. At 4575RPM the engine noise overpowers anything that comes out of the exhaust!!!!!!!!! 2db extra? You have to be kidding. On the other hand I can also tell you that the EPA is very considerate and understanding that totally stock 993s will exceed the 92db allowance substantially!!!

It is my understanding that new cars comply with their stock exhaust. Once you tick the "sports" option you are at risk even if it came factory!!! 

Archived