718 Cayman GT4

Hello, this is my first post, so I'm a newbie.

Firstly, I'd like to say this is a very informative & respectful forum, so congratulations guys.

After many years, I've finally decided to take the plunge & want to purchase my first Porsche. I have my heart set on the Cayman 718, GT4 (Gentian Blue).

I was wondering if anyone can enlighten me on the wait/build times & sales process. I've read in some places that they only sell to previous Porsche owners (perhaps this depends on the model you wish to buy)?

Could I head into Porsche at either Parramatta or Willoughby and place an order, or do they only sell to their preferred customers? If I had my build sheet there, what's the probability of a discount (say 5% - 10%)? How long do you think the order & build time would be on a Cayman 718 GT4?

The reason I ask is because I need to sell my current classic (1969 Camaro), and I don't want to sell it before I need to. Do you think I could expect it anytime this year, or would be it be in 2023 (or later)?

Thanks everyone.

Cheers

Glenn

Hi gp33rs

I am also interested in a new potential GT4 purchase , I have never ordered a Porsche new only ever had used cars , from my understanding and I could be wrong build times are between 4 to 6 months , but currently with the ongoing global freight issue who really knows the time frame , I suspect the dealer could give you a better idea of what that is in this current climate  ..

In regards to 5% or 10% Discount , I highly doubt it Porsche GT cars are in high demand world wide and dealers have no reason to offer any discounts , Porsche is one of the few car companies that make good high profit margins on their cars and that is due to the high demand for them ...

In some countries like the U.S.A it is a standard practice for the Dealers to Have added dealer markup ADM on cars that are in high demand like Porsches GT cars on top of the advertised list price , I dont believe this happens in Australia yet , but I suspect it is only a matter of time before Australian dealers also start this practice , just due to the high demand for these cars ...

Hi Glenn,

Answers to some of your questions:

- You won't get a discount. You may get some merch depending on how persistent you are. Car cover, maybe a jacket, that kind of thing. They build fewer GT cars than they can sell so they have no need to discount

- Wait varies but the only way to get a firm answer is to call up. GT4 wait times were around 9 months last time I checked, but anything could have changed. There are also rumours that with the new GT4 RS and some other yet to be announced models that the GT4 (and Spyder) could go stop sale soon. So it would pay to get in touch sooner rather than later.

- Sales process, they'll ask for a deposit or two usually of $5k each. When the car arrives you pay the balance.

- During the process you can change options and things along the way, but eventually there is something called a lock date, and you can't make changes after that date.

Other than that it is like buying any other car.

If you're buying from Parra ask for Jeremy, hes down to earth, and a bit of a car guy too. Doesn't work Tuesdays last I checked so maybe don't call today.

7 hours ago, Raven said:

In some countries like the U.S.A it is a standard practice for the Dealers to Have added dealer markup ADM on cars that are in high demand like Porsches GT cars on top of the advertised list price , I dont believe this happens in Australia yet , but I suspect it is only a matter of time before Australian dealers also start this practice , just due to the high demand for these cars ...

This is against the competition and consumer act here, which is part of the reason we don't see it. However because of the parallel import restrictions in Australia importers on the whole are protected monopolies. Some car brands in Australia are even worse because they're vertical monopolies, Porsche is one of them. Porsche AG (German Company) is the 100% owner of Porsche Cars Australia (Importer) and Porsche Cars Australia owns most of the Porsche dealerships in Australia.

In other words, if they want more money, they can set RRP to whatever they like - there is simply no need to charge an ADM. Which is the reason we're seeing 15% price hikes with each new model.

The ADM is in the markup already.  If you could see the same invoice price as the US does (has to by law) you would see the full size of the Australian ADM.  But, they trot out excuses like ‘shipping’ and ‘right hand drive’ and ‘local regulations’ to justify the markup.

But that doesn’t matter in the end - you have to pay to play, so you either pay up or go without.  At least the residuals are strong as a result.

10 hours ago, Coastr said:

The ADM is in the markup already.  If you could see the same invoice price as the US does (has to by law) you would see the full size of the Australian ADM.  But, they trot out excuses like ‘shipping’ and ‘right hand drive’ and ‘local regulations’ to justify the markup.

But that doesn’t matter in the end - you have to pay to play, so you either pay up or go without.  At least the residuals are strong as a result.

Exactly. You only need look across the ditch to NZ to see what the real price in Australia would be wIthout the parallel import laws.

It really irks me that there is an ACCC sniffing around things like petrol discounts when glaring and consumer damaging monopolies exist, created and protected by law.  But those are ok because reasons.  Something to do with gouging gt4 buyers for taxes.

That,s what the sales rep said ,,,, we have seen prices for these cars go up some 15% perhaps the higher deposit price is in conjunction with that rise ...???

My build spec was $270K ,,$27,000 for a deposit  is not an issue , the issue is the time frame , that is one big wait 12 to 18 months :wacko: ..

28 minutes ago, Raven said:

That,s what the sales rep said ,,,, we have seen prices for these cars go up some 15% perhaps the higher deposit price is in conjunction with that rise ...???

My build spec was $270K ,,$27,000 for a deposit  is not an issue , the issue is the time frame , that is one big wait 12 to 18 months :wacko: ..

Go for it Raven, just add $50K and make it an RS 😁

On 27/01/2022 at 10:26, Raven said:

So I spoke to Porsche at parramatta today if I placed and order this week I would be looking at 12 to 18 months wait time so 2023 build .

They require 10% up front and the remainder on delivery.

12 to 18 months is a big wait :unsure:

This is what I've been telling people but no one wanted to believe me.

Yep agreed - and considering they still make the 718 if you're paying that much money, people really need to weigh up getting exactly what you want (unless it pops up on secondary market) vs what's available.  

If you're holding on to it long term, I don't think the 12-18 months really matters in the scheme of things to get exactly what you want.  If you're turning them over, keeping for a couple of years, probably not as appealing an option/pathway.  

On 27/01/2022 at 13:01, spiller said:

10% is a hefty deposit also. Seems a bit over the top, no?

991.2 GT3 was $5k and another $5k at lock. On a $400k build. 2.5% approx. That was pre-covid however.

On 27/01/2022 at 16:17, Raven said:

Would love to if I could get one and I , the RS would be worth the 12 to 18 month wait :D

Had my name down for the GT3, by the time it arrived it'd been 3 years.