Wrap and PPF recommendations

twro

Hi, I am nearing purchase of a 911 and may wish to change the colour with a wrap, any suggestions for quality places in Melbourne to speak to?

Also any indications of price to fully colour wrap a 911?

Finally, I am interested in thoughts of how well a vinyl (?) wrap will protect the paintwork, compared to PPF?

Thanks!

8 minutes ago, mc968cs said:

Hmmmm…crickets…

I’m no expert on this one…. From what I’ve seen wrap is nowhere near as robust as ppf. I’ve seen people ppf their wraps.

Yep, guy down here has done that.  Those on the Oz FB groups may have seen posts of a black Cayman that has been wrapped close to Guards Red.  I asked how it had been holding up and he said he had PPF'd the front as well as the wrap, and it was holding up well in that configuration

30 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Yep, guy down here has done that.  Those on the Oz FB groups may have seen posts of a black Cayman that has been wrapped close to Guards Red.  I asked how it had been holding up and he said he had PPF'd the front as well as the wrap, and it was holding up well in that configuration

Do you mind sharing pics of this car Pete? Curious to see what it looks like.

Air cooled or water(🤮)cooled 911? 😉

I drove a 996 a few years ago that had been wrapped in a kind of Pearl white over the original green paint, and it looked really good to me, but I'm not that fussy.

I've casually asked about wrapping my air cooled here in Adelaide before, but it seems those I asked either don't have the confidence to have a crack at it or wanted to do the job, and 3 mobs said it would be "Anywhere from $3500 to 5000 with no guarantees". 

6 hours ago, LeeM said:

Air cooled or water(🤮)cooled 911? 😉

I drove a 996 a few years ago that had been wrapped in a kind of Pearl white over the original green paint, and it looked really good to me, but I'm not that fussy.

I've casually asked about wrapping my air cooled here in Adelaide before, but it seems those I asked either don't have the confidence to have a crack at it or wanted to do the job, and 3 mobs said it would be "Anywhere from $3500 to 5000 with no guarantees". 

Seeing you’ve only got half a car to paint Lee, $5000 would go a long way to having a mint silver SC.😎

46 minutes ago, sjm said:

Seeing you’ve only got half a car to paint Lee, $5000 would go a long way to having a mint silver SC.😎

Fair point mate 😅

A colour change was the wrap idea...obviously not a very good idea though

• 6 months later...
On 14/03/2022 at 11:12, twro said:

Hi, I am nearing purchase of a 911 and may wish to change the colour with a wrap, any suggestions for quality places in Melbourne to speak to?

Also any indications of price to fully colour wrap a 911?

Finally, I am interested in thoughts of how well a vinyl (?) wrap will protect the paintwork, compared to PPF?

Thanks!

Hey mate, I actually own a wrap shop up in Newcastle we have been running for 35yrs and can give you the best advice.

There is a lot you need to know about wraps... dont worry about what you see on youtube its all rubbish 🤣

First I have to ask, is it a daily driver? Will it be left out in the sun?

This is super important. Simple if it's a daily driver just don't wrap it at all!!

- Wraps are not ment for Australian Summer, they will soften in 40 degree day and slowly come off.

- If your car gets a decent amount of sun the heat on your roof and bonnet will have a weird chemical reaction between the original paint and the wrap. Causing the paint underneath to discolour. Trust me it's happened heaps.

We only use 3M supreme wrapping films the codes for this is 2080 series. It's the top of the line. 3M use too give there wrapping films 10yrs warranty.... not anymore!

Wraps on roof and bonnet will deteriate faster then on the sides. 3M changed there warranty a couple of yrs ago to 7yrs and then to 3yrs now they don't even give any warranty if it's applied to a roof or bonnet. So that's saying something.

..... that's all the scary stuff 🤣

But if you only drive your car occasionally and it's keep garages then that's a different storey. The wrap will last forever and as long as you get a very high quality installer (which there is not many) your car will look amazing. There are some fantastic colours available but stay away from matte black, it is a nightmare for marks and cleaning.

Make sure whoever is wrapping it uses 3M or HEXIS vinyl... anything else is absolutely rubbish.

A decent installer will take at least 5 days to complete, and if you love your car don't turn up half way through it check it out as they would removal lights, mirrors, front and rear bars, wheels and everything else that will get in the way.. I have had clients come check out brand new cars that we wrap and they have a heart attack seeing them I  pieces 🤣🤣🤣

Hope this helps, ps I wrapped my Frankenstein while waiting for my painter to get me in 👍

• 6 months later...