991.2 GTS or 992 Carrera?

Tricky

I'm planning to return to 911 ownership (last had a 997 C2S manual) after a few years with an AMG C63S Coupe.

At my budget of around $300k I'm seeing 2017 991.2 GTS and 2021 992 Carrera base models. I'm leaning towards 991.2 GTS (prefer the exterior shape, bit more special) but the 992 is obviously newer and more modern inside (though not necessarily better). It will be a PDK car and used for daily driving (about 12k per year).

I can see this being my last petrol car and therefore keeping it for 10-20 years, ie the car might shift from daily driver to weekend car in say 5-7 years time as electric cars take over the world and I swap in an electric car for daily duties.

Might consider a mild stage 1 tune one day, so the 4 GTS is also under consideration as it will probably cope better with a dollop more torque.

I would appreciate any thoughts or insights into the 991.1 GTS vs 992 base debate raging inside my head.  (There's also a 'buy now vs wait 6 months as rising interest rates bite' debate in my head...)

Thanks is advance.

As a previous 991.1 GTS owner & now 991.2 S the biggest differences for me are:

991.1 is NA & sounds way better than the 991.2 (turbos)

991.2 (turbos) has so much torque available from around 1,700rpm, 991.1 got a rocket at around 4,800rpm

991.2 steering & gear change is way better than 991.1 (both cars manual)

very hard to go wrong either way though 🤣 enjoy the hunt.

11 hours ago, Joz said:

Ok but why in your opinion?

I’ve owned a 992 C4S.  And driven a 991.  Not a GTS though.  The 992 was the most engaging modern 911 I’ve driven (short of the GT2 RS).  It’s all personal in the end so buy the car that you know in your heart will make you look back at it when you park it. No matter how old it is.  

23 hours ago, Tricky said:

I would appreciate any thoughts or insights into the 991.1 GTS vs 992 base debate raging inside my head.  (There's also a 'buy now vs wait 6 months as rising interest rates bite' debate in my head...)

Thanks is advance.

There’s currently a 2 year wait for the 992, so anyone placing an order now might end up with a gen 2 if buying new.  With such a backlog I can’t see prices tanking anytime soon. I’d go the 991.2 GTS, more bang for your buck. 

From my perspective, I have owned a 991.1 GTS, a 991.2 GTS and a 992 (albeit a GT3 Touring) but have driven a basic 992 Carrera.

Of the three, my preference is hands down the 991.2 GTS.

The base 992 Carrera goes hard enough for most but it is just a 911. Nothing more nothing less. It's does not feel at all special. It might have a nicer interior than the 991 generation but your long term lover affair with a car is not going to be determined by the interior, its going to be determined by how you emotionally bond to the car.

The 991.1 GTS sounds great...but, IMHO, is a bit slow and lethargic. Due to is NA engine, there is not much oomph down low so it takes awhile to lift its skirts and get going.

On the other hand, the 991.2 GTS turbo engine also sounds good (but admittedly not as good as the 991.1 NA). IMHO, overall the 991.2 GTS is a much better car than the 991.1 GTS. It's far, far quicker with a power/torque delivery that is far more useable in Australia. It also rides and steers a lot better that a 991.1 GTS which can be  bit crashy.

At one point in my past, I had a 991.2 GTS, a 991.2 GT3 Touring and a 991.2 GT3 RS in my garage at the same time....and of the three, my "go to" car was the 991.2. Indeed, on a winding UK country road, the 991.2 GTS was a faster car than either of the GT3s..

So I would choose the 991.2 GTS over the other two.

IMG_7579.jpeg

IMG_7571.jpeg

IMG_7570.jpeg

6 hours ago, WGA said:

From my perspective, I have owned a 991.1 GTS, a 991.2 GTS and a 992 (albeit a GT3 Touring) but have driven a basic 992 Carrera.

Of the three, my preference is hands down the 991.2 GTS.

The base 992 Carrera goes hard enough for most but it is just a 911. Nothing more nothing less. It's does not feel at all special. It might have a nicer interior than the 991 generation but your long term lover affair with a car is not going to be determined by the interior, its going to be determined by how you emotionally bond to the car.

The 991.1 GTS sounds great...but, IMHO, is a bit slow and lethargic. Due to is NA engine, there is not much oomph down low so it takes awhile to lift its skirts and get going.

On the other hand, the 991.2 GTS turbo engine also sounds good (but admittedly not as good as the 991.1 NA). IMHO, overall the 991.2 GTS is a much better car than the 991.1 GTS. It's far, far quicker with a power/torque delivery that is far more useable in Australia. It also rides and steers a lot better that a 991.1 GTS which can be  bit crashy.

At one point in my past, I had a 991.2 GTS, a 991.2 GT3 Touring and a 991.2 GT3 RS in my garage at the same time....and of the three, my "go to" car was the 991.2. Indeed, on a winding UK country road, the 991.2 GTS was a faster car than either of the GT3s..

So I would choose the 991.2 GTS over the other two.

Many thanks everyone for the replies.

And WGA, thank you especially for your insights on the 991.1 GTS, 991.2 GTS and 992 - I was leaning towards 991.2 GTS already but I think you've nudged me over the line. And your photos of the GTS, GT3 Touring and GT3 RS together are simply sublime, what an epic garage!

10 hours ago, Joz said:

Hmmmm, toying with the idea of  992 4GTS.

worth the wait?

A 992 4 GTS would definitely be worth the wait....but....if you haven't already got one on order, its going to be a loooong wait. Indeed, I wanted to order a 992 GTS cab but my dealer told me that it would be 18-2yr wait. I didn't want to wait that long so went and bought a new M4 Competition cab the next day and drove it home two days later.

991.2 GT3 owner. Controversial opinion incoming. These cars are way too fast, and too composed for our roads.

I'm on a 90s and noughties kick right now because of that fact.

You can look in my post history, I was violently against that standpoint but there you go, opinions can change. Owning something that capable can be dull on Aussie roads unless you are willing to risk jail time.

In answer to your question, I had a 991.2 GTS in Switzerland for a week. Once you got past the fake pops and cracks from the exhaust at low speed (which completely pissed me off), the car was ridiculously capable and supremely fun. It even turned me into a targa convert. But again, I was well in excess of posted limits during bouts of said fun.

On 14/06/2022 at 13:15, sleazius said:

Once you got past the fake pops and cracks from the exhaust at low speed (which completely pissed me off

Thankfully that trend seems to have gone away!