Portable car play.

tomo

5 hours ago, MFX said:

Wouldn't a phone mount do the same thing but better (and maybe a hidden bluetooth unit)?

But you're not allowed to 'touch' your phone whilst driving, but using your car stereo is very safe (sarcasm) (In Vic anyways). 

6 hours ago, luzzo said:

But you're not allowed to 'touch' your phone whilst driving

Unless it's secured in a commercially designed phone mount. Seems to be a blanket rule across Oz for that one

1 hour ago, LeeM said:

Unless it's secured in a commercially designed phone mount. Seems to be a blanket rule across Oz for that one

My interpretation of the following from Vicroads is that you can use voice control if the phone is resting in the cabin and not fixed to a commercial holder,  if it is fixed you can use it as you would any other touch screen within the car.

However limited to making/receiving a call, using the music player and GPS

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fully licensed car drivers

A fully licensed driver can use a phone to make or receive a phone call, to use its audio/music functions or perform a navigational (GPS) or intelligent highway vehicle system (in vehicle warning system) function but only if the phone:

• is secured in a commercially designed holder fixed to the vehicle, or
  • can be operated by the driver without touching any part of the phone, and the phone is not resting on any part of the driver's body.

All other functions (including video calls, texting, emailing, task management, photography, social media, shopping and share economy apps) are prohibited.

6 hours ago, StevepGT3 said:

Quadlock wireless holder/ charger is the dogs nuts

I have been looking for a better alternative for Harry, and that looks great. I just ordered one :D

52 minutes ago, epilot said:

I have one of these, pretty simple, make sure you buy the RHD version

https://www.rennline.com/exactfit-magnetic-phone-mount-sku-pm01-06/

I have a magnetic phone mount but I find when I am really getting on it on a bumpy back road, the phone ends up slipping off and ending up under my feet at the most inopportune time. I have made up a simple sheet metal claw that holds onto the phone underneath, but I still have to plug in the cable and it is all a bit messy. Just a turn to clip the phone in with a built in wireless charger sounds so much better.

20 minutes ago, MFX said:

I have a magnetic phone mount but I find when I am really getting on it on a bumpy back road, the phone ends up slipping off and ending up under my feet at the most inopportune time. I have made up a simple sheet metal claw that holds onto the phone underneath, but I still have to plug in the cable and it is all a bit messy. Just a turn to clip the phone in with a built in wireless charger sounds so much better.

Quadlock is the answer.  I like the rennline mount, not the magnet. so buy the Rennline mount and the Quadlock cross shaped lock and voila!  perfect solution....  But the ones for aircooled cars like Harry that @Mike D'Silva has look to be a great solution too

3 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Quadlock is the answer.  I like the rennline mount, not the magnet. so buy the Rennline mount and the Quadlock cross shaped lock and voila!  perfect solution....  But the ones for aircooled cars like Harry that @Mike D'Silva has look to be a great solution too

Mikes mount attaches to the ash tray I believe which I no longer have :( 

1 hour ago, StevepGT3 said:

For the porsche I Macgyvered  a quadlock wireless to a rennline exact fit, the other cars I use wondow mounts

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQUzPnOFn7r/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Just what I envision doing on the 996.1 C2 I've just bought.  Need to decide If I'll keep it as is or do the console delete in which case I will use a Quadlock deskmount bolted to the plastic trip in front of the gear change like I did on my GT3