992 base model, S or GTS

LeeM

I have a friend who is looking at placing an order for a 992 coupe, yet is a little perplexed as to which one to place an order for.

He really wants a GT3, yet as we all know there's a long waiting list, and it's probably out of his price range, so he's looking at buying a base/S or GTS, and going the GT3 body kit route. Yes I know it's sacrilege to some, but it will be his dream car that he will keep.

The questions is. Which model would 'most' people buy, and why? Why an S? Why a GTS? You get the picture

Any comments or opinions welcome, as there's no real hurry, but he wants to get an idea from those who have a much better idea than I do

Lee Often deliberated the question of what 992 I'd get! Given that he's keeping it personally I'd settle for the 'S' Everything I've watched on youtube says its the sweetspot of the range! Initially when it was launched I didn't like the design now I think it looks phenomenal!

Big wheels and GT silver you cant go wrong

Keep us all posted

I wouldnt bother its a 2 year wait for a base let alone the other so I would love to know what they are saying for delivery on an S or GTS. Might as well wait for the 992.2 and get the S as usually the previous model GTS specs filter down to the facelift S (not the look but power etc)

If I was in the market today I dont think I could justify a $400K GTS price tag. Even the S is getting up there now with a few options. 

1 hour ago, FAP911 said:

Big wheels and GT silver you cant go wrong

Keep us all posted

Sounds good to me mate. Shall do 👍

@hugh

I did suggest an earlier GT3, yet as he admitted, he will probably just be using it as a daily with the occasional hills weekender, so a GT3 may not be the right car for him. Plus he wants to put his name and a deposit down to buy a new car, and Porsche Adelaide have told him it's a 2 year wait which works in with his plans financially.

@ArthurK

As above, he isn't in a hurry to buy a 911 even though I advised him he could probably buy one that gets flipped, or as Hugh mentioned, buy a 991.2 GT3, so he's happy to wait it out for a car that he can spec personally.

Cheers gents 👍 

2 hours ago, LeeM said:

The questions is. Which model would 'most' people buy, and why? Why an S? Why a GTS? You get the picture

Interesting question @LeeM 

Based on performance only the base 992 and S are very fast cars. 

However, I would choose the GTS simply because its the only model I could still order a Manual.  

53 minutes ago, luzzo said:

Interesting question @LeeM 

Based on performance only the base 992 and S are very fast cars. 

However, I would choose the GTS simply because its the only model I could still order a Manual.  

From the chat I had with him this evening, I personally don't think he's the sorta bloke who will really notice certain differences between models, and he won't be attending any track days to push a cars limits, so I'm sure a base or an S would be plenty for him.

He's not an 'enthusiast' so to speak (he drives a Range Rover), he just wants his dream car which happens to be a 911 coupe. He did ask what the handling differences are between a Carrera2 and Carrera4 etc. Of course I couldn't answer that from experience, so I just advised from what I've read on here and the internet. The only thing I could really say, is that a new 911 would surpass his own driving abilities in the hills, and that he would be safe...unless he drove like an dick of course 😁

I'd say he wants the look of a GT3, but not the actual car or the associated price tag. I basically told him an S would be all he really needs, yet I'd much prefer to hear from you guys who have a lot more Porsche experience than me to give him some advice.

Cheers 👍

Good choice on the aero kit😁. I wasn’t  totally convinced when I bought my current 997, although it has grown on me and the amount of positive comments has been a surprise. On the 992, the base with a few options is my pick, as he’s not really going to notice the differences and it has plenty of performance for his needs. ( quicker than a 997C2S ).

16 minutes ago, Shedpest said:

Nice 👍

I did tell him to consider a certain silver 997 GT3 as an option 😁

12 minutes ago, P-Kay said:

If he's got his heart set on a new one and he is not that much of an enthusiast, then base all the way. That will allow a few spare pennies for the mods he want for the look. Many reviewers swear by the base.

Cheers mate, that makes sense to me 👍

@sjm

Yeah, he won't be setting lap records from Montacute to Lobethal or to the local coffee shop 😁👍