Recaro Spacro Sports Racing Seats

No Mans Land

As someone who dailies a car with Recaro SR4s do the research:

i) Make sure they fit the car, some of them are quite wide so make sure they fit in your car.

ii) Try them out before you buy as there are a number SR2, SR3, SR4, SR5 etc that all have different sizes and you want the one that find comfortable.  A mate and I have identical looking Recaros but his are quite loose fitting meaning that his body moves around when driving on a track where as mine are a tighter fit and I am held nice and snugly

iii) They come in a range of materials so make sure you like how they look in your car.  Some of the more lairy seats don't quite gel with a black plain 911 interior in my opinion and nothing worse then spending the cash and then feeling disappointed as every time you approach your car it looks a bit too JDM for your taste.

iv) I think if you car has a backseat fitting fixed back seats will not be meet regs as there is no way to access back seats.

Personally if I was fitting Recaros into a 911 I would look at the Sportster CS

eng_pm_RECARO-SPORTSTER-CS-CROSS-SPORTST

as it provides a good balance between daily comfort and holding you in place while having a less JDM look and fitting the ambience of a nice European car, if that is too modern a look they also have the Classic LS which is perhaps a bit more period correct.

IMG_4377.jpg

3 hours ago, No Mans Land said:

Have any of you guys swapped out your fronts seats with Recaro's or any other sports race seats? if so what do you reccomend? 

I have an 87 Carerra and ideally install Recaro's 

Fixed back race seats aren't the most comfortable things, and after a while I found them to be a bit annoying to get in and out of the car. Great to look at and for holding you in place if you fit in them correctly (a.k.a snug/tight), yet from experience with race seats, I'd be choosing something like the Recaro Classic LS as pictured above. 

I currently have a set of old Stratos adjustable seats in my 78. They're very comfortable even on a 9 hour drive interstate,  and they're nearly as good holding you in place in the hills as the original sport seats that the car was fitted with, which are THE most comfortable seats I've ever sat in if you can find some decent ones. They're usually anywhere from $3000 to $5000 a pair.

If you haven't tried them before, definitely sit in a similar car with fixed back race seats before you buy some to see what they're like 

The Recaro SPGs are also very nice and come in two sizes. You can also get the Recaro's retrimmed to match  your interior. Although the Recaro Sporster and similar seats might be more practical. I can't remember the brain but I believe there is also a seat manufacturer down in SA that is very good value. 

44 minutes ago, donR said:

The Recaro SPGs are also very nice and come in two sizes. You can also get the Recaro's retrimmed to match  your interior. Although the Recaro Sporster and similar seats might be more practical. I can't remember the brain but I believe there is also a seat manufacturer down in SA that is very good value. 

Velo Racing Products?

On 06/10/2022 at 19:26, Yeatesy said:

I like the look of the Pole Positions but wouldn’t get them if I was driving my car everyday 

512BFF3C-3F67-45F5-AC6D-38EACE077A79.jpeg

Yeatesy, the Pole Positions look so cool in the car, although as Carrera pointed out, meeting the regs would be an issue with a fixed back. I do have seats in the back, but no one ever sits back there. 

Thanks for the photos and info guys, big help in steering me in the right direction. Will post up the photos when its done. 

I have some ugly, completely inappropriately styled GT3 copies in my '84.

No the rear seats are not accessible.

No the styling doesn't suit the car.

Yes they are VERY light!

Yes, they are comfortable, for me. 3-4 hr stints in the car no problem.

Yes they're great for track & spirited runs up the mountain.

The weight saved with these seats, A/C delete & exhaust upgrade is significant.

In the Lotus spirit, I've added quite a bit of lightness!

GT3 seatsJPG.JPG

P1010011.JPG

31 minutes ago, spiller said:

@sus911 I love the 996 buckets, not sure why so many people think they’re ugly! One of the best bucket seats Porsche has ever put in a 911.

In Nomex (or whatever it's called) fabric, they're the best but i do agree they look a bit odd in air cooled cars, too big.  

• 1 year later...