Cayman R

Jim45

Currently in a sorted 996.2 but wouldn't mind something a bit newer to use semi daily.

Think I've convinced myself I don't really want a 718 as I already have a tuned turbo 4 banger (not Porsche) even though there are some huge HP numbers for the 2.0.

Been looking at the 981 Cayman, both base and S recently but not a lot of manual options.

Think a 981 GTS / GT4 will be slightly out of reach at the moment so that does not really leave me with a lot of options.

997 too much like the 996 and the 991 too high price wise as well.

I was not really a fan of the 987 variant until I noticed the R.

Looks like they have almost the same power as the 996 I'm currently in, which is enough for me on the road.

I've been perving at the white one on car sales, looks like a great example, but the PDK is putting me off.

I'm guessing I could get a 987 S manual if they come up and throw a spoiler etc on it but I like the limited edition aspect of the R.

My aim is not to hoard the thing but drive it, just thinking the R might be more sought after further down the track which would help if I wanted to change again.

Thinking about it I've not seen a manual one for sale - Maybe I need to try the PDK?

Just interested if anyone has thoughts on the 2 cars - 996 v 987R.

Cheers

Jim.

Hey Jim,

You’ll be looking to find 1 of the 5 manuals delivered to Australia, there’s 1 white, 2 red & 2 green ones. 

They are a fantastic car and I was set on getting one but after a year of searching I bought something else. 

This is the only manual I’ve seen for sale in the last 18 months.

Good luck, Leon

48DBB2FE-44C4-4B8A-9E59-2DCE4D5B28AF.jpeg

Jim,

A mate has a 997.2 S manual and the same in a PDK, he prefers the manual as a road car but he also has a manual Cayman R. From a pure driving point of  view the Cayman is a standout to him and I suggest if you could get one it would be worth the effort. The limited edition status with specific setup from the factory made for a special car. One of 5 manuals in Australia is a tough find but PDK would be a fun car and still appreciate.

Once he lets me drive them all I could offer more helpful insights...

Cheers, Glenn

10 hours ago, Yeatesy said:

Hey Jim,

You’ll be looking to find 1 of the 5 manuals delivered to Australia, there’s 1 white, 2 red & 2 green ones. 

They are a fantastic car and I was set on getting one but after a year of searching I bought something else. 

This is the only manual I’ve seen for sale in the last 18 months.

Good luck, Leon

48DBB2FE-44C4-4B8A-9E59-2DCE4D5B28AF.jpeg

Hi, how do you find out that there are only 5 manuals in the country? 

I want to find out how many 987.2 Spyder manuals there are.

2 hours ago, Apogee said:

I’d always heard the same 5 number for Spyders but not sure where it’s from. 

2 hours ago, Apogee said:

You contact Porsche Cars Australia and basically be a very polite pest. There are no guarantees that you will ever hear anything back, or that if you do hear from them the information they give you will be correct.

For instance I know that all 911s are listed under the same item in their system "911", so if you have a specific question "how many manual 997.1 GTS 911s are there?". Someone has to go through all deliveries line by line to pull out all the GTS models, secondly are they manual. As you can imagine they're never keen to do this task.

On 19/10/2022 at 20:46, Yeatesy said:

A PFA member had a list of the all the cars VIN’s and was kind enough to send it to me. 5 manuals & 14 autos.

Hi Yeatesy,

Is that for Spyders or Cayman Rs? I read somewhere that there were 34 or 37 Spyders in the country. 

• 2 weeks later...

I too like Yeatsey searched for a manual 987.2S or even better an R manual, but it never eventuated.  Just so rare, PDK was new and all the rage, GFC meant not many prestige cars were being sold.....

I had a good look at that PDK R, nice car but yeah I just couldn't convince myself to go with the PDK, as my daily is PDK and I wanted the visceral analogue feel for the weekender.

Ended up with a 987.2 Spyder in manual and love it.  

What colour is yours @Apogee?  I'm keen to know numbers as well. I had heard 34 in total in Aus, but no breakdown of PDK vs Manual

• 1 month later...
On 01/11/2022 at 22:12, Boxer said:

I too like Yeatsey searched for a manual 987.2S or even better an R manual, but it never eventuated.  Just so rare, PDK was new and all the rage, GFC meant not many prestige cars were being sold.....

I had a good look at that PDK R, nice car but yeah I just couldn't convince myself to go with the PDK, as my daily is PDK and I wanted the visceral analogue feel for the weekender.

Ended up with a 987.2 Spyder in manual and love it.  

What colour is yours @Apogee?  I'm keen to know numbers as well. I had heard 34 in total in Aus, but no breakdown of PDK vs Manual

Sorry for the late reply @Boxer, PFA is not sending me alerts on posts. I also have a 987.2 Spyder with a MT in White and Silver alloys. I really would like to know how many 987.2 Spyders out there that are manuals. 

• 2 months later...

Indeed! would be interesting to confirm numbers and suspect manuals are almost as rare as the R (going by percentages I'd be guessing 10 manuals at best) 

Mines also white and has the carbon buckets, sport design wheel, PDLS, but no Sport Chrono

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, Boxer said:

I see all of a sudden 3 x 987.2  Cayman S manuals for sale.....after years of looking and never finding one, there are 3 for sale simultaneously!

Seems to be more and more interesting stuff finding its way onto the market lately... Carsales is more fun the last few weeks than it has been in years ... 😁

On 01/05/2023 at 16:22, Boxer said:

I see all of a sudden 3 x 987.2  Cayman S manuals for sale.....after years of looking and never finding one, there are 3 for sale simultaneously!

One listed today on Collecting Cars as well: https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/2011-porsche-987-2-cayman-s.

• 1 month later...