This is a game called 'WTF is that?!'

The game goes like this...

See some weird car out on a drive.

Take photo of weird car with ubiquitous camera phone (please don't crash doing so).

Post photo on PFA site.

We all try and guess WTF is that?

Easy.

First round of WTF is that? This car was spotted in Brisbane after the Mt Nebo/Mt Glorious run. The rear wheel camber is awesome.

Ladies and gentlemen, good luck.

IMG_1838_zpsb8bf25e9.jpg

WTFNo2_zpsdc53a5f7.jpg

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

isn't that an Austin A40 or A35? (the first one)

the second one looks like something english (clutch-monkey is a closet english car fan so i'm sure he'll know) or a Triumph GT6 or something

and to continue the game, try this one

8395065097_9c69840e71.jpg

Looks very english kit-car/small volume manufacturer, like an early TVR or some such thing.  Knowing all the tiny brands in the UK is quite a challenge.

The white thing at the top is almost certainly a goggomobil - the suicide doors are a giveaway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goggomobil

Looks very english kit-car/small volume manufacturer, like an early TVR or some such thing.  Knowing all the tiny brands in the UK is quite a challenge.

The white thing at the top is almost certainly a goggomobil - the suicide doors are a giveaway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goggomobil

Not a kit car, but correct about the small volume manufacturer, however, it is not a TVR.  UK manufacturer is only half right.

These cars had quite a successful motor sport presence.  Not an Aussie manufacturer.  Nothing to do with MG.

Early Lotus? Mind you I know absolutely nothing about such, just a guess!

Lotus?  No, not so much.

Hey, wasn't there a forum contingent at Phillip Island historics? 

sydr, on 25 Mar 2013 - 06:16, said:

and to continue the game, try this one

8395065097_9c69840e71.jpg

don't know what it is but I do know it is one of the ugliest cars I have ever seen...

Not a kit car, but correct about the small volume manufacturer, however, it is not a TVR.  UK manufacturer is only half right.

These cars had quite a successful motor sport presence.  Not an Aussie manufacturer.  Nothing to do with MG.

OK I give in.  It's like the bastard child of a fling between a Triumph and a TVR 3000, but I'm stumped and cannot identify.

The car is a GSM Dart.  And I did give you a clue, early in the piece.  After the G O GG O

GSM stands for Glass Sport Motors, - chosen because they were early adopters of a revolutionary new material, Fibre glass.  They were manufactured in Cape Town and in the UK, around 200 were built.  There are 3 in Australia.

They used their own chassis and body and ford Cortina GT running gear

here's one racing in the USA

8592309945_cb89c6d40d_z.jpg

pixel.gif

Looks like a cross between a Renault Alpina And an Alfa. Equal winner with the GSM Dart as ugliest car ever made, enough to give the little kiddies nightmares.

I hate to say it but it also has the Datsun 240z sort of bonnet. (Apologies to Datsun) Glad there is only one in Australia.

Looks like a cross between a Renault Alpina And an Alfa. Equal winner with the GSM Dart as ugliest car ever made, enough to give the little kiddies nightmares.

I hate to say it but it also has the Datsun 240z sort of bonnet. (Apologies to Datsun) Glad there is only one in Australia.

A bit harsh mate! The first mid engined production car , with disc brakes and independent suspension. Kinda like your Boxster! 

Some more ugly style for you

wth2.jpg

Maybe a bit harsh I admit, sorry, still think it is Italian or French.....Interesting car....this second photo shows an air duct, but that doesn't look as though it is on the first photo, maybe just the way the photo has been taken, but if it is the only one in Oz then maybe just the shot. LHD backs up Italy or France...

Tazzie, the wheels on your car look like the comedy 3-stud wheels that French cars used in the 60's and 70's.

...and the red, blue and white frog sticker in the rear window confirms the Frenchness.

The blue colour and the stylised "A" in the rear of the B-pillar make me think Alpine, but it's not an Alpine that I recognise.

Ok, further now from JJ thinking also French. I will go out on a limb and look very silly here (not unusual for me) The little space ship type design on the vent around the rear window, looks Citreon...ish? But I also agree it looks ALPINE I think for some reason I thought it was ALPINA but ALPINE sounds better.

Tazzie, the wheels on your car look like the comedy 3-stud wheels that French cars used in the 60's and 70's.

...and the red, blue and white frog sticker in the rear window confirms the Frenchness.

The blue colour and the stylised "A" in the rear of the B-pillar make me think Alpine, but it's not an Alpine that I recognise.

What he said . . . . .

a Gordini of some kind p'raps?

The car is a GSM Dart.  And I did give you a clue, early in the piece.  After the G O GG O

GSM stands for Glass Sport Motors, - chosen because they were early adopters of a revolutionary new material, Fibre glass.  They were manufactured in Cape Town and in the UK, around 200 were built.  There are 3 in Australia.

They used their own chassis and body and ford Cortina GT running gear

here's one racing in the USA

8592309945_cb89c6d40d_z.jpg

pixel.gif

Gah.  You know I had a hint it was a colonial type thing and was search out NZ based fibreglass manufacturers.  I was getting closer all the time but didn't think to go down the SA route.

Archived