This is a game called 'WTF is that?!'

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brougham or Belmont ?

Wrong

Looks like one that went to South Africa or New Zealand by those mirrors. 

Chev Constantia or Kommando ?

Wrong

Based on the HJ Holden premier??

Correct - but who, why and where?

Hints: the car reportedly got 9 mpg and only 800 were ever sold.

1. Easy if you're born <1970

2. I thought the green was an interesting choice for this car

3. Vic plates so some of you may have seen it before; this was at Ross last year (annual car gathering ~800 cars )

wth15.jpg

1. Easy if you're born <1970

2. I thought the green was an interesting choice for this car

3. Vic plates so some of you may have seen it before; this was at Ross last year (annual car gathering ~800 cars )

wth15.jpg

Bolwell Nagari convertible - assuming that was the question being asked.

Benz is a 350 SL 6.3 I assume.   I have seen a mint silver one converted to LPG

Bolwell Nagari convertible - assuming that was the question being asked.

Benz is a 350 SL 6.3 I assume.   I have seen a mint silver one converted to LPG

1. Yes. The name is on the back!

2. Almost correct. But a great sleeper .  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_300SEL_6.3

The result was a nearly 2-tonne saloon with performance similar to most dedicated sports cars of the era

wth16-1.jpg

1. Yes. The name is on the back!

2. Almost correct. But a great sleeper .  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_300SEL_6.3

wth16-1.jpg

Ack I can't believe I goofed on the Benz name.  I love these cars, I don't know how I got SE and SL mixed up when I knew exactly what I was describing.  We had a 280SE as a kid, and like the kid with the 6 cyl Kingswood, you're acutely aware that a bigger, badder version of your car is out there.

Not much of a fan of the green myself, I'd want white, silver or black.

Re the Bolwell, I knew it by sight without even looking at the back.   I actually found myself in the Bolwell factory about 20 years ago when they were making Kenwood cabs, and I met Campbell Bolwell, who my father knew.  I asked about the Nagari back then and he pointed to where the original moulds still were, under a big tarp and very dusty.

NSU?

Correct !  I knew it was too easy.

I think so too, RO80 wankel engined saloon

Spot on.  NSU RO80.   Front wheel drive (front engined, foreshadowing later Audi designs) Sportomatic gearbox, inboard discs, semi-trailing link rear suspension, rotary engine - a true technical masterpiece of its day.

NSU a very unique collectable car! But you need a good engine , can't remember offhand what people put in these now. I think there's an article in Classic & Sports car mag a while back.

Three things happened to these cars:

1.  NSU Rotary repaired endlessly until NSU got the rotor seal material right.   Some original cars didn't make it past 20,000 miles before total engine failure.  Apparently not uncommon for early cars to have 3 or 4 engines.

2.  NSU Rotary replaced with Ford V4 engine from transit van (due to space restrictions in engine bay, about the only thing that would fit)

3. NSU Rotary replaced with 10A or 12A Mazda rotary.

The real money is in having a car with an original NSU rotary, updated to the best spec possible.  Values decline significantly with engine mods.   Still I think even the best minter can be had for < $10k

If the engine had been reliable & more fuel efficient these cars could have transformed the motor industry.  But they weren't so now just a dead evolutionary branch of the motoring tree, and a curious oddity.  Unlike the Mazda designs which mostly had a bob each way allowing for a piston engine to be installed (except for RX7) the NSU was packaged to take advantage of the engines small size, which gave them great interior space.   The styling also foreshadowed very European lines of light glasshouses and austere exteriors which BMW later took up to great effect.

Archived