This is a game called 'WTF is that?!'

It certainly looks like a Bentley badge, but has it got an "8" in it and not the normal B?

looks like some sort of modified machine but running original type wheels. Weird...

I thought the same but the badge is definitley and 8 and not a B

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bentley Embericos is an inspired and knowledgeable guess, full marks.  How do you know about that car?

It certainly is a Bentley badge, and certainly won't be the Bentley Embericos  because there is only one of those.  For a number of reasons, I would know if that were in Australia.  Anyway, it is a steel grey colour.

However, just like the Bentley 'team cars' and the 'Blue Train Bentley' there are those who are inspired by tales of ye olde derring do, and build replicas.  My first thought was that is the most likely scenario. 

I've asked someone who will know and hopefully will be able to shed some light on what it is, unless one of our knowledgeable forumites comes up with information.

This is the rear of the Embericos Bentley:

Bentley-4.25-Litre--Embiricos--Special_4

For those members who don't know about such things, the Embericos is a handbuilt Bentley that was a bespoke carriage built car that was the first 'streamlined' Bentley and was the fore runner of the Continental series.  It had a good racing history and is probably priceless today, much like the 'team Speed 6' cars, of which there were just 3.  Despite public opinion about 'Blower Bentleys', it was the Speed 6 cars that did the business at Le Mans.

I'm informed that the car in the photograph that raised this topic is a Qld car, coachbuilt, and was last seen at a Bentley event at Warrnambool some 15 years ago.  More information is probably coming.  It is a Bentley.  The spoked wheels suggest either a "WO" series (pre 1930/31 - vintage) or a 'Derby' series.

That's a great web site, I checked out the Japanese nostalgic classics on it. I know we have some jap car fans on our forum, I can recommend checking it out. Some great old forgotten cars there.

Re the silver Bentleigh featured above and on that site. I first thought it was a bit of an ugly duckling. But the more I looked at the photos the more I changed my mind, that is quite a stunning car design. It grows on you.

Here's the story of the unusual B-car courtesy of one of the Bentley Drivers Club officers:

The
mystery car as seen is one of 2 similar but not identical bodies
designed and built in Brisbane , they are based on much modified MK V1
Bentley  chassis and mechanicals and to my mind were inspired by the pre
war Bugatti Atlantique which they very much resemble, you will have
noted the central  fin over the roof  and tail. They are stunning cars. I
think they received  media coverage in Melbourne and  they both
appeared Driven I think by Father and Son at the BDCA rally to
Warrnambool some years ago.

Here's the story of the unusual B-car courtesy of one of the Bentley Drivers Club officers:

The

mystery car as seen is one of 2 similar but not identical bodies

designed and built in Brisbane , they are based on much modified MK V1

Bentley  chassis and mechanicals and to my mind were inspired by the pre

war Bugatti Atlantique which they very much resemble, you will have

noted the central  fin over the roof  and tail. They are stunning cars. I

think they received  media coverage in Melbourne and  they both

appeared Driven I think by Father and Son at the BDCA rally to

Warrnambool some years ago.

Well I am indeed priveleged to have seen that on the road. It was a nice looking machine and had the aura of individuality to it, especially that fin over the roof linking up the split front and rear glass. Thanks for chasing up that info.

• 1 month later...

OK what's this engine from? L1.jpg

...and for bonus points (Harvs running around tearing his hair out here) , what's this bottle for ( - clue for the foodies , it does not contain extra virgin or truffle oil)

L2.jpg

The tazzieman cares not for exterior bling , it's the guts which gets his heart racing! (Sorry to Boxster guys, you need the Lexan cover http://www.renntech.org/forums/uploads/post-24-1084914993_thumb.jpg )

Archived