This is a game called 'WTF is that?!'

OK , this might be easy - or not. This is the only one in Oz. It is not a kit car. Very interesting auto!

wth.jpg

This car is a Rene Bonnet

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automobiles_Ren%C3%A9_Bonnet

My first guess was a Matra, being a relatively unknown Froggy sports car maker, but follow the chain back further and here is where you end up.  This is what a Matra was before they became Matra, kind of like Toyo Kogyo -> Mazda I guess.

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have a winner! Well done!

The wheels are similar to this old girl snapped in Paris a couple of years ago (exotica are a bit common thus I went looking for interesting stuff)

Renault_early.jpg

New challenge ; Australian car but what is it? Holden is a clue.

wth11.jpg

Re the 'RENE" ......I knew that.........(not) least we were in the right country.

(I used to have a mate back in the 60's/70's who hated French cars and would always say

"The french make 3 good bombs" Renault,s, Peugot's and H Bombs")

Well done coastr.

Re the 'RENE" ......I knew that.........(not) least we were in the right country.

(I used to have a mate back in the 60's/70's who hated French cars and would always say

"The french make 3 good bombs" Renault,s, Peugot's and H Bombs")

Well done coastr.

Well as it's not a Renault but a Djet , this car must have passed his muster  ;)

The car was raced by the son of a French Olympic skier Jean Louis Allard then bought by a Brit based Australian , who imported it in 1976.

Note the most recent wheels , and the big clue to the make...

wth3.jpg

We have a winner! Well done!

The wheels are similar to this old girl snapped in Paris a couple of years ago (exotica are a bit common thus I went looking for interesting stuff)

Renault_early.jpg

New challenge ; Australian car but what is it? Holden is a clue.

wth11.jpg

Looks like a Bolwell Mk V to me, but the back is wrong.  I must be close?

Edit : Could be Bolwell Nagari, but IIRC they used Ford running gear and had horizontal vents.

Maybe it is a bastard child of that lineage.

Datsun 240Z or maybe 260Z under all that glass? I recall someone using the basic Z car and bringing it out in this sort of body and sticking Ferrari stickers on it.....

Sorry on second thoughts, no, obviously not around the 1960 era, and not the one I am thinking of which we have probably all seen.....Back to the drawing board for me...

Hmm not fair if you're coming up with replica manufacturers - they bloom and die faster than weeds!

Not a replica  :) Around 30 of the bodies were made, with some nods to euro styling...ooh it's too easy now eh?

wth13.jpg

Back in the bad old days.....desismileys_4426_zpsfb07f0c5.gif

I think they were also called Contessa's and also another brand called CAN AM's. Can Ams being the chromed up version. Wheels looked great back in the 70's and look great today.

They look cool on that red 944....have to say

Back in the bad old days.....desismileys_4426_zpsfb07f0c5.gif

I think they were also called Contessa's and also another brand called CAN AM's. Can Ams being the chromed up version. Wheels looked great back in the 70's and look great today.

They look cool on that red 944....have to say

Still available as Minilites

Archived