Alfa Romeo1:30.837

Nyck DE VRIES

Alpha Tauri1:30.921

Logan SARGEANT

Williams1:30.959

Oscar PIASTRI

McLaren1:30.964

1 minute ago, JWM said:

Piastri might be wishing he stayed with Alpine right about now …

Yeah I was thinking that, McLaren are not exactly a team that shows loyalty to an under-performing driver and driving for Alpine he would have some already accumulated loyalty points from their previous relationship to consume in early races.  Piastri comes into F1 with pressure and expectations that I can only relate to Kimi and Lewis in the modern era.  Upside of course driving for McLaren F1 team is that your company car is a step over a Renault Clio or A110.  

29 minutes ago, JWM said:

Piastri might be wishing he stayed with Alpine right about now …

Going by his public comments, I'd say the opposite is correct.

Alpine f@#$ed him over by dangling a carrot, yet that was also pending on the decision from Alonso and his future as to whether he would sign with Alpine again. Piastri, understandably, thought "Stuff this waiting crap, I wanna race..." and signed up with McLaren just to get a ride.

Then Alpine boss has a sook about it and McLaren had to pay them a couple of million to shut him up and avoid a court case. I'm sure Piastri would've signed with Williams if the right offer was there, as all he wants to do is be in F1.

Whether he's good enough to hack it in F1 remains to be seen due to McLaren being less than competitive, so all he has to do is be close to or beat Norris and he'll be on the better teams radar. Horner and Red Bull wanted him, but they already have Max and Perez, and I'm sure he'd just be where Ricciardo is now by being a reserve driver and ambassador for the team without a race for another year.

At least he's in F1and in a full season, so that's a bonus I s'pose 

32 minutes ago, LeeM said:

At least he's in F1and in a full season, so that's a bonus I s'pose 

True, and you hope people can see past him being on a dog of a car, but as you say he has to be close to or beating Norris in it still … I hope it doesn’t put a dampener on his career because it’s seemed pretty stellar so far. 

Good point on the Alpine situation too, that did seem messy, I’d kind of forgotten he was looking at another season with no actual race seat there.

34 minutes ago, JWM said:

True, and you hope people can see past him being on a dog of a car, but as you say he has to be close to or beating Norris in it still … I hope it doesn’t put a dampener on his career because it’s seemed pretty stellar so far. 

Good point on the Alpine situation too, that did seem messy, I’d kind of forgotten he was looking at another season with no actual race seat there.

That's not entirely true, they were going to arrange him a race season in 2023, the uncertainty was whether it would be with Alpine or whether they would farm him out to Williams F1 for a season of experience.

44 minutes ago, Carrera28 said:

That's not entirely true, they were going to arrange him a race season in 2023, the uncertainty was whether it would be with Alpine or whether they would farm him out to Williams F1 for a season of experience.

True, though that wasn't guaranteed, as the Alpine boss they "might" be able to get him a ride with Williams.

As professional drivers, most of them are going to go where it's guaranteed they'll get a drive, and I imagine Piastri was no different when there was always the chance Williams might have the chance to have a big paying driver instead. Time will tell if Ricciardo has either made a very good decision to have a year off, or a very bad one. Piastri in my opinion didn't really have a choice but to go to Mclaren, as that was the best option to be mid pack and have a massive company behind him...even though they have a shit car by the looks 😁

Of course it's all speculation on my part, as I know bugger all about it really, but its' just pure logic for a driver to take the best offer available...the same as any other employment really

1 hour ago, LeeM said:

True, though that wasn't guaranteed, as the Alpine boss they "might" be able to get him a ride with Williams.

As professional drivers, most of them are going to go where it's guaranteed they'll get a drive, and I imagine Piastri was no different when there was always the chance Williams might have the chance to have a big paying driver instead. Time will tell if Ricciardo has either made a very good decision to have a year off, or a very bad one. Piastri in my opinion didn't really have a choice but to go to Mclaren, as that was the best option to be mid pack and have a massive company behind him...even though they have a shit car by the looks 😁

Of course it's all speculation on my part, as I know bugger all about it really, but its' just pure logic for a driver to take the best offer available...the same as any other employment really

I am just hoping that Oscar's manager's bad luck in choosing which team to drive for does not rub off on him 😎

TBH I am not sure that the Honey Badger had many options and while F1 is a passion, it is also a job and being Red Bull's third driver is l suspect significantly more commercially advantageous than being a Williams or Haas driver.  I suspect that unless something happens to one of the top drivers or the MV/Perez relationship explodes, his best option would be Sauber/Audi where his experience might valuable and he may be commercially more desirable than the similarly experienced Bottas. 

Unfortunately I suspect DR will remain out of F1 in 2024, given his commercial value and broad experience he may pursue one of the Hypercar drives in IMSA and WEC where he can get paid to drive a competitive car and can potentially continue as a sponsored Red Bull athlete as well.  Like Aussie Grit he may have to accept being a World Champion in a different category.  I would love to see him driving a Penske Porsche at Le Mans.

@Carrera28  I reckon DR is done in F1. In a competitive car anyway.

I honestly think he jumped to Mclaren because he believed Brown's bullshit...and a big pay rise, so I'm sure he wouldn't want to drive for a lowly team just to be in F1. That, and there's too many up and coming F2 kids with daddy's money to buy their drives who would take precedent over an older bloke like DR

5 hours ago, LeeM said:

@Carrera28  I reckon DR is done in F1. In a competitive car anyway.

I honestly think he jumped to Mclaren because he believed Brown's bullshit...and a big pay rise, so I'm sure he wouldn't want to drive for a lowly team just to be in F1. That, and there's too many up and coming F2 kids with daddy's money to buy their drives who would take precedent over an older bloke like DR

He is doing taxi adds in the West for a crust nòw , If he was driving a cab,That would be something to pay 4 :)

17 minutes ago, JWM said:

Lando’s car was cactus after only getting an early Q1 time in … so hard to say if Piastri’s time was good or not … but better than last week!

After touching a wall 😁

Sorry, not a Norris fan.

I watched the qualifying replays today, and Piastri was .013 off Norris, then jumped ahead. He was probably the smoothest driver out there too. His car hardly moved when he touched the kerbing, yet others were basically jumping them. Even the commentators, especially Brundle, were saying afterwards how unflustered and smooth he was.

His starting position is right in the middle, so it will be a test of his metal to see how he gets off the line and positions himself right for the first turn. Rare for me to get excited about F1, but I'm really looking forward to seeing Piastri get a good start  and get a decent result 

21 hours ago, LeeM said:

He has one? 😯

Reminds me of Prost 

Prost is still one of my all time favourites 🙂 Even if he is French....

Just watched the race now, couldn't be arsed staying up after 12.00, just made sure I didn't play on FB like I did for Race 1 replay.  Fantastic drive by MS to come back from 15th, but also masterful drive by Checo to pretty much lead the whole race apart from the first few corners.  Harsh penalty for Alonso, but them's the rules.....

2 minutes ago, JWM said:

Why didn’t he pass Sargeant himself then…

"Oh that? Yeah I didn't feel like passing him, as it wasn't for points so it didn't matter, and thought it'd be nice to let a rookie think he beat me" 

Man I hope Piastri gets in his head and rattles his cage, and turns into a Senna/Prost/McLaren team mate rivalry saga 😅 I think it's already started though! 😁

Don't know why he annoys me, yet he just comes across as a smug little rich kid. 

3 hours ago, LeeM said:

Don't know why he annoys me, yet he just comes across as a smug little rich kid. 

Spot on mate, when he comes on camera in Drive to Survive and says “I’m Oscar Piastri and I’m a McLaren racing driver” that’s exactly what I thought. 

@Yeatesy I didnt know (or really care) about his family background till I read a post on Instagram last week. Seems the old man, who is one of the wealthiest blokes in the UK, has thrown a few bucks at Mclaren. $44million in fact, so Lando is actually a 'pay as you go' driver which I didn't know.