GT4 Clubsport

WGA

I think they are a no brainer. Safety firstly but buy price and the fact that it does the one thing well, a dedicated track car makes sense. And a gt4 cs even more. 
You can support yourself, and I’m sure you’ve YouTubed it but driveline is run it til it dies basically. 

More I’ve been around them more I think putting a road car on track is silly. You damage a road car on track and it’s tarnished forever, a track car will be rebuilt and big whoop. 

You’ve driven both- do it! 

19 minutes ago, cafe_racer said:

Have a look at radicals. 

Thought about one of those but too fast for me I reckon.....and I like the idea of just being able to take a GT4 Clubsport to my local Porsche dealer for servicing etc.

Have considered this option myself after it was floated by the dealer.

As I see it:

Option 1) Service yourself but you need a tow vehicle, a trailer and much storage space for those. Running costs are less - consumables and any repairs like a road car unless you have an incident; or

Option 2) Paid support by dealership who do everything for you including storage and transport but $$$$

Till this point I've chosen to go arrive and drive option with a street car because when I was karting as a hobby, all of the above (option 1) albeit at a smaller level made me lose interest after 4 years...

Guess the gt4 clubsport would be amazing if you are cool with the above scenarios alongside a street car for fun... 

On 02/12/2023 at 11:01, WGA said:

Anybody on here running a GT4 Clubsport who can provide some insight into annual running/maintenance costs?

We rented one in January for 2 days at Portimao, the nominal fee covered transport/support & consumables (servicing & brakes), aside from that, in two days, our biggest expenses were Michelin slicks & 400 litres of fuel, so as its been said, yes very much like a road car on a track day, cost wise. 

I was offered to buy this same car (EUR 90k) about 6 months ago, and did consider it... but importing it would have put it into the low $200k mark all told, and I guess for me it is essentially a classless car for club level super sprints (I haven't looked at competition classifications) which may, or may not be important to you? To me it was, so it really for all intents & purposes is an expensive play thing, that would not compete in open class categories. 

The other thought I had was with a friend, we considered to buy it, leave it in EU with the race team most the year so they can rent it out & generate some $$ when not under our use, then call on it for the handful of track days that we may want to do, or worse join the GT4 race series :lol: 

But the reality is, its easier for us to just continue doing an arrive & drive with this team and not have the $$ tied up and the risk that comes with it, also a 996 Cup can be had locally for a good deal less, but is a "race car" so comes with a lot of the cost.. however these are as close to a road car as Cup will ever be (cost wise).

I actually wouldn't discount the Radical (or yourself as a driver), they're a hell of a drive and pretty well supported here with a reasonable entry cost... the general consensus is to stick with SR3 1300cc for reliability & running costs... easy enough to rent one here or in NZ if you just want to dip your toes in!

Personally, I'd fly to NZ and do the Radical Experience at Highlands, then tack on a bunch of wine tastings whilst you're there in Central Otago, oh and EK 1st class is available again to CHC so you can make it a luxury escape for you and your significant other :LOL: 

6 hours ago, edgy said:

$200k mark all told, and I guess for me it is essentially a classless car for club level super sprints (I haven't looked at competition classifications) which may, or may not be important to you? To me it was, so it really for all intents & purposes is an expensive play thing, that would not compete in open class categories. 

There are a few more starting to appear at track days etc. but essentially, yes, there isn't really any classification for these for any open competition. A circa 200k track toy is essentially what they are. 

6 hours ago, edgy said:

a 996 Cup can be had locally for a good deal less, 

Yes. Plus there is also more opportunity to compete at state level comps etc. 

26 minutes ago, hugh said:

There are a few more starting to appear at track days etc. but essentially, yes, there isn't really any classification for these for any open competition. A circa 200k track toy is essentially what they are. 

Just like a GT2RSCS I’m sure a few more. At least the GT4 category is growing with a good mix of cars and with more porkers coming.
I wouldn’t feel discouraged you can still do PCV days who really cares for the points anyways- rules are there but  sure scrutinising isn’t all you think it is with specs and mods. 

2 hours ago, hugh said:

I thought a gt4 had more comp opportunities than an old cup car? Old cup car, state series maybe?

gt4 can at least race in the gt4 series. 

1 hour ago, cafe_racer said:

I thought a gt4 had more comp opportunities than an old cup car? Old cup car, state series maybe?

gt4 can at least race in the gt4 series. 

Pick any model GT3 cup car and you’ll be able to get a grid together. How many GT4 club sports to run with in Aus? 

6 minutes ago, Peter John said:

These 911 guys always hate’n on the lil Caymen ☝️

Hey, you know how much I love the Cayman! Just unfortunately less opportunities for competition here but I suspect that may change in time. Having a 996 Cup as a stable mate is a lovely option too. 

At the recent Bathurst international event - which was superb, the gt4 field was excellent. Lots of cars, one or two Porsche gt4, bmw gt4, merc gt4 etc.  it was great.  To run a gt3 it had to be 992.  Can’t run old gt3 cup cars at that level.  

19 hours ago, edgy said:

We rented one in January for 2 days at Portimao, the nominal fee covered transport/support & consumables (servicing & brakes), aside from that, in two days, our biggest expenses were Michelin slicks & 400 litres of fuel, so as its been said, yes very much like a road car on a track day, cost wise. 

I was offered to buy this same car (EUR 90k) about 6 months ago, and did consider it... but importing it would have put it into the low $200k mark all told, and I guess for me it is essentially a classless car for club level super sprints (I haven't looked at competition classifications) which may, or may not be important to you? To me it was, so it really for all intents & purposes is an expensive play thing, that would not compete in open class categories. 

The other thought I had was with a friend, we considered to buy it, leave it in EU with the race team most the year so they can rent it out & generate some $$ when not under our use, then call on it for the handful of track days that we may want to do, or worse join the GT4 race series :lol: 

But the reality is, its easier for us to just continue doing an arrive & drive with this team and not have the $$ tied up and the risk that comes with it, also a 996 Cup can be had locally for a good deal less, but is a "race car" so comes with a lot of the cost.. however these are as close to a road car as Cup will ever be (cost wise).

I actually wouldn't discount the Radical (or yourself as a driver), they're a hell of a drive and pretty well supported here with a reasonable entry cost... the general consensus is to stick with SR3 1300cc for reliability & running costs... easy enough to rent one here or in NZ if you just want to dip your toes in!

Personally, I'd fly to NZ and do the Radical Experience at Highlands, then tack on a bunch of wine tastings whilst you're there in Central Otago, oh and EK 1st class is available again to CHC so you can make it a luxury escape for you and your significant other :LOL: 

I did a Radical drive day at SMP several years ago.  Slicks and aero meant the thing was glued to the track which made it feel a bit Scalextric.  Undoubtedly a fast way round a track but not as much fun as wrangling a car that’s grip limited and lacks aero.

At the end of the day I swapped seats with the instructor and holy hell……..he leaned on the grip and aero way more than I thought physics would allow, Incredible.   I had to get him to pull into the pits 2 laps in, I was like a rag doll flailing about, couldn’t hold my head up under full load and nearly spewed 🤮in my helmet.  The G forces through your body are extreme.  

I agree with @WGA the Radical is “too much car” for old man me 🤷‍♂️. I’d have to do fighter jet pilot training and build up a neck like a rugby player to get close to its potential.

4 hours ago, DJM said:

I did a Radical drive day at SMP several years ago.  Slicks and aero meant the thing was glued to the track which made it feel a bit Scalextric.  Undoubtedly a fast way round a track but not as much fun as wrangling a car that’s grip limited and lacks aero.

At the end of the day I swapped seats with the instructor and holy hell……..he leaned on the grip and aero way more than I thought physics would allow, Incredible.   I had to get him to pull into the pits 2 laps in, I was like a rag doll flailing about, couldn’t hold my head up under full load and nearly spewed 🤮in my helmet.  The G forces through your body are extreme.  

I agree with @WGA the Radical is “too much car” for old man me 🤷‍♂️. I’d have to do fighter jet pilot training and build up a neck like a rugby player to get close to its potential.

finally a car that is too much for you Doug? 😂 Never thought I’d read that… 

you’re right, there is definitely 2 levels of calibration with slicks & aero if you’re used to road car on R’s! 

turning in, holding the throttle flat and pulling the next gear mid corner is equal parts frightening & exhilarating 🤯 but mostly shit your pants material 😂

On 08/12/2023 at 15:59, edgy said:

finally a car that is too much for you Doug? 😂 Never thought I’d read that… 

you’re right, there is definitely 2 levels of calibration with slicks & aero if you’re used to road car on R’s! 

turning in, holding the throttle flat and pulling the next gear mid corner is equal parts frightening & exhilarating 🤯 but mostly shit your pants material 😂

Always suffered motion sickness, seems be directly proportional to G force and frequent change of direction (Winton, Haunted Hills 🤮)

Big fast tracks are fine but that Radical tipped me over the edge at SMP.