The 996 Design

tomo

Thanks for the link - it was a very interesting read. The 996 could have been the last 911 if it wasn't the sales success that it was. Interesting that today people like to go on about the "fried egg" or "runny egg" headlights - it certainly didn't bother too many people 20 years ago! I note that the 2003 996 cabriolet was named the most beautiful convertible in the world - funny to me because I think the Boxster has always looked like a better convertible than the 911.

I think with a little more time and rarity (hard because it was so successful) the 996 generation will be remembered as the unique but still beautiful, 911. Indeed, it was pretty enough to make a "Sally Carrera"! At this stage, a well sorted 996 seems to be the thinking man's 911 - who can get a wonderful sports car and spend his savings (had he bought literally any other 911) and have even more fun, toys, etc.

Not having driven much past the 997, I feel the 996 is the perfect transition for air cooled owners to water cooled 'modern' 911's, or a bloody good introduction to Porsche ownership, as there is still that feeling of being more refined with creature comforts, yet can still feel like an angry little bastard.

I hated the headlights, yet over time I don't love or hate them, as they're just a part of the car, though I do prefer the '98 model fried eggs with amber indicators personally. 

Money no object, I would own any incarnation of the 911 coupe, yet my first purchase would definitely be a 996 GT3

I also disliked not just the headlights but the whole front end of the 996. However I have massively warmed to it and I now think it is elegant and unique. It is aging very well, and I think it almost has a retro cool about it now. The IB cars went through a similar cycle.  I think my next car may be water cooled……

9x6 and 9x7 gen cars are probably the closest you'll get to a blend of modern/classic Porsche. I've never driven the air cooled Porsches but I imagine I would love them because I have a 987 and I didn't like the "modernness" of the 981. It honestly felt like my Volkswagen Golf to drive. Volkswagen make very fine cars and I'm not surprised to see some of their sprinkle in Porsche ever since Porsche became part of the wider Volkswagen Group - however it is really a true Porsche now? 9x7 was the final generation built by Porsche when they were independent. 9x6 represents the first water cooled engines. Both generations still feature a certain "rawness" that every generation since the 9x7 lacks.

I truly understand why some people never move on from the air cooled. I bet they make you feel alive. They were a product of their time and will likely never return.

1 hour ago, Sabotage said:

I truly understand why some people never move on from the air cooled. I bet they make you feel alive. 

They most certainly do, and you really should try one 👍

This section (I edited a bit to shorten) really caught my eye

Pinky Lai’s initial design of the 996 has round headlamps. It also has separate turn signal lamps which had to be deleted (merged to headlamps) because of financial reasons. […] Although Pinky Lai’s original 996 designs were good, at some point it had to be faced that there’s simply no money to design and produce the 996. […] Basically the decision was between no more 911 or a 4-seater rear-engined Boxster as the new 911. It was decided that the 996 will share as much parts with the Boxster as possible. Nothing was left from the initial design of the 996.

I'd love to see the original 996 designs! I wonder how much of it was dusted off to become the 997? Suspect a 996 with 997 style lights at the front end would have been a much better appreciated car … I still think the side and back profiles are nicer than the 997...

Like others I enjoy the front of both the .1 and .2 lights and really loved how it drove, especailly once I sorted the suspesion on the car I had … Lot's of regret that I sold it and much temptation to buy another one I have to say...

I actually don’t mind the exterior and agree they are ageing well. It’s the interior that really hurts it, whilst they were basic, 911’s weren’t known to feel “plastic” inside until the 996 came along.  

On 03/03/2024 at 18:22, JWM said:

This section (I edited a bit to shorten) really caught my eye

I'd love to see the original 996 designs! I wonder how much of it was dusted off to become the 997? Suspect a 996 with 997 style lights at the front end would have been a much better appreciated car … I still think the side and back profiles are nicer than the 997...

Like others I enjoy the front of both the .1 and .2 lights and really loved how it drove, especailly once I sorted the suspesion on the car I had … Lot's of regret that I sold it and much temptation to buy another one I have to say...

Yes - it needs to be remembered that the 996 was compromised somewhat for financial reasons. I see the 997 and 987 as the cars Porsche would have built if they didn't have the financial handicap at the time of building the 996 and 986. Interesting history and thanks to the 9x6 generation we can all still debate about current Porsches today!

On 03/03/2024 at 17:36, LeeM said:

They most certainly do, and you really should try one 👍

Would absolutely love to, one day. Need to find somebody nice enough to trust me driving their pride and joy. Even just sitting as a passenger would be lovely.

With all the comments about the 996 fried egg lights, funny enough, when I am driving mine, I do not see them or think about them.  
I just enjoy driving a well sorted, reasonably comfortable, very capable 911.

Just a pity I am living in Sweden now and cannot drive it anymore!

23 minutes ago, PhilH said:

Just a pity I am living in Sweden now and cannot drive it anymore!

Well I did offer a storage facility to maintain a regular starting and test driving facility, but nooooo...🙄

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/03/2024 at 21:11, LeeM said:

Well I did offer a storage facility to maintain a regular starting and test driving facility, but nooooo...🙄

I have a week back there at the end of April so hope it starts.  You are right Lee, I should have left it with you!!!