Hi guys, 

I am looking to import a 2013 Carrera s 991.1 into Australia and needed some input; 

1) What is the manufacturer attitude towards grey imports being serviced at their dealership? I.e. Do they allow grey import vehicles to be serviced at Porsche NSW for example? 
2) Has anyone ever sold a grey import Porsche that can share their experience with regards to how the buyers conduct is around concluding a purchase of a grey import? I.e. Is there a viable market for grey import Porsche 911's ? Are people interested in buying the vehicles? 

*Naturally point 2 has a lot of additional factors influencing the outcome, but assume its a perfect vehicle.

Thanks,

RichM

18 hours ago, RichM said:

Hi guys, 

I am looking to import a 2013 Carrera s 991.1 into Australia and needed some input; 

1) What is the manufacturer attitude towards grey imports being serviced at their dealership? I.e. Do they allow grey import vehicles to be serviced at Porsche NSW for example? 
2) Has anyone ever sold a grey import Porsche that can share their experience with regards to how the buyers conduct is around concluding a purchase of a grey import? I.e. Is there a viable market for grey import Porsche 911's ? Are people interested in buying the vehicles? 

*Naturally point 2 has a lot of additional factors influencing the outcome, but assume its a perfect vehicle.

Thanks,

RichM

Unless you have lived overseas with the car for more than 12 months, you won't be able to import a 991...

30 minutes ago, JLD said:

Unless you have lived overseas with the car for more than 12 months, you won't be able to import a 991...

Isn't there a list of cars we can import because not enough was sent over, It was discussed some where on PFA some weeks back.

33 minutes ago, WOKA said:

What about all the JDM's that get bought into the country..?  Whats the go there v a 6.1GT3 coming in frouth Africa.?

Just a view, but to answer your question, as a starting point, look at the relationship between the exact year ,  build  month and model that has been imported  vs   was that exact  same version available new in Australia off the  showroom floor from dealers back in the day.

Also look at the age when imported eg pre 89 or older than 25 years   Then tell me which cars are you talking about that were still imported and my answer would then be it is a very very high probability that it was a personnel import.    Or its come in pieces in various sea containers and reverse chop shopped with dubious build / compliance plate.

Smit is correct, the 991 isn't able to be imported under the SEVS scheme, and not eligible to the 25 year rule.. so the only way to do it, as already mentioned is via personal import i.e. live with the car O.S. for 12 months ... these cars (private import) carry a yellow private plate compliance tag in most states, that is the easiest way to tell which scheme its come in under.

23 hours ago, tomo said:

Isn't there a list of cars we can import because not enough was sent over, It was discussed some where on PFA some weeks back.

From memory there are about 3 Porsches that negate the 25 year rule as they were never available to purchase new here. It's a very specific list though, the 991 is definitely not one of them

1 hour ago, edgy said:

Smit is correct, the 991 isn't able to be imported under the SEVS scheme, and not eligible to the 25 year rule.. so the only way to do it, as already mentioned is via personal import i.e. live with the car O.S. for 12 months ... these cars (private import) carry a yellow private plate compliance tag in most states, that is the easiest way to tell which scheme its come in under.

Correct, or it can be imported as a parts car which means it will never be registered as a road car again

Excellent forum. My concern is the resale price after it enters Australia. She is a beauty. Will cost about $40K to import and drive away fully licensed from the port. 

The retail price for an onshore with the same spec is A$186K. Apparently, discounted prices are around up to half of the market rate. Surely someone would buy this vehicle grey import for around A$150K?

DSCF7017 yes.jpg

8 minutes ago, RichM said:

Excellent forum. My concern is the resale price after it enters Australia. She is a beauty. Will cost about $40K to import and drive away fully licensed from the port. 

The retail price for an onshore with the same spec is A$186K. Apparently, discounted prices are around up to half of the market rate. Surely someone would buy this vehicle grey import for around A$150K?

DSCF7017 yes.jpg

If you’re looking on Carsales, they’re all overvalued, I wouldn’t use that as a yard stick or you’ll be severely disappointed. There’s a guy with one not yet sold one (with 100,000km on it admittedly) for $146k on Facebook….

Only bring it back if you love it and want to keep it “forever” would be my thinking tbh. 

16 minutes ago, RichM said:

DSCF7017 yes.jpg

An AUS delivered  991 with decent mileage actually sold for less than 150k, as others have mentioned everything on CS is overvalued so don’t use that as the yardstick.
I’m on the lookout for a 997.2/991 or 981S (within my budget) and only vehicles that become sensibly priced actually sell. 

You have lived overseas for 12 months and owned it for 12 months? Which country?

IMG_1552.png

11 minutes ago, kov said:

An AUS delivered  991 with decent mileage actually sold for less than 150k, as others have mentioned everything on CS is overvalued so don’t use that as the yardstick.
I’m on the lookout for a 997.2/991 or 981S (within my budget) and only vehicles that become sensibly priced actually sell. 

You have lived overseas for 12 months and owned it for 12 months? Which country?

IMG_1552.png

South Africa. Isn't the 2015 model a turbo 3.0L? The Carrera S is in fact my current vehicle, 41000km - last of the N/A range... But handy to know that the CS prices are well over priced...

25 minutes ago, JWM said:

If you’re looking on Carsales, they’re all overvalued, I wouldn’t use that as a yard stick or you’ll be severely disappointed. There’s a guy with one not yet sold one (with 100,000km on it admittedly) for $146k on Facebook….

Only bring it back if you love it and want to keep it “forever” would be my thinking tbh. 

Yes - it has to be a forever car... You are right! 

42 minutes ago, RichM said:

Surely someone would buy this vehicle grey import for around A$150K?

As others have said, in this market nope... you are talking local delivery $$$ there, I recently picked up a 991.1 C2S for my dad via a mutual forum friend... so the numbers being quoted here are not bump steering you. 

6 minutes ago, edgy said:

As others have said, in this market nope... you are talking local delivery $$$ there, I recently picked up a 991.1 C2S for my dad via a mutual forum friend... so the numbers being quoted here are not bump steering you. 

Hi Edgy, if you don't mind me asking - what is the price you picked her up for? 

18 minutes ago, RichM said:

South Africa. Isn't the 2015 model a turbo 3.0L? The Carrera S is in fact my current vehicle, 41000km - last of the N/A range... But handy to know that the CS prices are well over priced...

Yes - it has to be a forever car... You are right! 

That particular vehicle was a N/A.

Yours being an S with low kms will be a premium.

if it’s a forever car, you bring it over and advertise it and see if you get a buyer!

11 hours ago, Sepand said:

Hold up, do you own this car overseas and have lived there for over 12 months? 

Yes sir - we enter Australia again middle April.