Tyres should I go R spec?

Hi everyone,

I am at the point where it's time to replace my tyres. Had Falken 452 's on my P- cars for the last 10 years. While they get great mileage I have to admit this comes at the expense of performance.

My car is mainly driven on SMT's on twisty roads. I am looking for more grip. Never in the rain! Mileage isn't an issue. The current tyres have been on the car for 4 years. I have had my current car for 5 years and done 11,000 km in that time. Just over 3000km this last year.

So given the type of driving I do is it feasible to put R spec tyres on?

I have been doing a bit of research and 60% of the field in this years targa tas used yokohama advan ad 050 r spec tyres. Sounds like a pretty good recommendation. Alternatively one down would be the yokohama neova which I think Niko has on his car.

Interested in people's opinions.....

C

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Yokohama's are a good tyre, however I would want to ask if your priorities are 'outright performance' as a 'R-Type' Tyre does have some drawbacks.

You have mentioned that mileage is not an issue so thats one of the top Drawbacks as they will not get anywhere near what a normal road tyre can as far as longevity is concerned.

The other is Noise and comfort. Most R Type tyres will increase NVH and therefore lose some of the balance and compliant ride comfort evident with road tyres.

The other main drawback is geometry set up and heat. To get the best out of an R Type tyre your geometry will need to set specifically to your driving style and the rubber itself.(Typically with more agressive camber for greater grip)

Then there is Heat, R type tyres only perform as they were designed with heat in them, the type of heat that just cannot be maintained on the street, even with enthusiastic driving.

And Chris, if you were to get them up to the correct heat, you are going to have the tyres collect every little stone on the road and flick it onto your paint. I had Kumho ecsta's on my 968 CS and the lower guards were peppered with stone chipping due to this.

So, I believe that there are options out there for you, however perhaps a performance road tyre is a better option, such as :

Michelin Pilot Sport's (PS2) or

Continental Contisportcontact 3 or

Pirelli P Zero Rosso ( Ihad these as road tyres for my 968 CS and they were astonishing in all conditions)

Hi Chris,

Like yourself, my car is used very little and usually only for recreational driving in fine weather. I have been using only R spec tyres for over a year and will never go back. Yes they are softer and won't last as long etc. but with the kms we travel you will still get a year or two of good wear before you would need to replace but the drive you get from them is worth every penny.

Advans are great, Dunlop & bridgestone do some also but they are more $$$. However I did mention it to Theo today that the Toyo 888 are a great tyre for the money and if your not using them for competition then the extra cost on other brands may be wasted. I have used the Toyo and it is hard to pick he difference, especially out on the road.

In my opinion, even a cheaper R spec tyre will out perform a $$$ road tyre - you just don't get the distance, but for the amount of time my car sees the road I want every min to be good!

Cheers, Hugh.

I have no idea if mine are R-spec but my Toyo T1Rs are day and night difference from falken FK452 as they're my old tyre. The 452 is a cheap borderline sports tyre. good bang for buck. 

But the tread wont last as long so to speak.

Thanks Steve, really appreciate the comments. It's great when you can get advice from people who have already gone through the experience.

Same same Hugh :)

Thanks Pauly. The tyres you have on are pretty good. Not spec but I have seen them first hand on Doug's old 3.2 and I had to work hard to keep up with him on one of our best drives to date....

More time spent on Tire rack.com reading reviews.... :)

C

As you know Chris I have been extremely satisfied with the Dunlop Direzza Z1's.

These have been fazed out and replaced with the Z2's. Cracker reviews and well rated in the Porsche community.

May not be R rated, but if the Z1's can pass the T-1 & T-2 endurance trials , then I reckon they're a good thing.

z2_size_bg_zpsc58beb71.jpg

My current road tyres have 5 years and 50,000kms so I'm looking at new rubber some time soon. Going on the experience of a few I've known with Dunlop direzzas, they are top of my shopping list. I have Advan R for track driving. Full wet conditions on the R's is not for the faint hearted. Like Steve said, they work best at elevated temp. This can only be safely achieved on a circuit. Hence my choice of the Direzzas for road with proper rain grooves plus the ability to heat up for the more spirited drive.

Your right Chris, I have Yoky Advan Neova AD08, hang on like ###t to a blanket, way more tyre than my capabilities need.

They are R spec. Although a compromise between street and track, they are a soft compound BUT they are a very harsh ride.

When not SMTing I drop the T/P,s down.

Haven't tried them in the wet yet so can't comment there.

TRACTION TYRES in Rowville are the guys that looked after me.

Chris,

I have the Yokohama Neova AD08s as well, and absolutely love them they just continue to hang in there. To be fair though, I have not had anything else on the Porsche . Also have yokohamas on the R32 And they're also great.

Cheers

Peter

Thanks Peter. Didn't realise you had them on the Porka.

They get a good wrap on Tire rack. A decision to make me thinks.

Might check out the prices on both the yoko's and dunlops and see how they compare.

C

I'm subscribing this thread thread also. 

Only reason i got my tyres is because that was the only brand that make 245 45 R16 in street performance tyre.

I didn't do to bad keeping up with Doug today keeping in mind my first time on a SMT. but i slowed down because i didn't want to push my limits. I'm not sure what Doug has on his C2 though. 

Soon enough i'll be getting a new set of wheels... Same as yours Chris. and using them every day with a decent set of tyres and using the factory wheels and putting R888 on them. 

I'm subscribing this thread thread also. 

Only reason i got my tyres is because that was the only brand that make 245 45 R16 in street performance tyre.

I didn't do to bad keeping up with Doug today keeping in mind my first time on a SMT. but i slowed down because i didn't want to push my limits. I'm not sure what Doug has on his C2 though. 

Soon enough i'll be getting a new set of wheels... Same as yours Chris. and using them every day with a decent set of tyres and using the factory wheels and putting R888 on them. 

Pauly, where did you get the Toyo T1R's from? I will need a 245 45 16 tyre

Any tyre joint who sells toyo really. I don't have any connections to tyre shops for discounts but the best price was from tyreright. $320 fitted balanced IICR. I don't remember off the top of my head. 

I like them, they're very grippy. But the sidewalls are weak and flex. 

After Direzzas have gone to 888 as I can use them for both road and track and they are a fair bit cheaper.

I don't expect them to last as long but are more than happy with them.

If I do want faster times in comp I use the A050 but they are too soft for road use.

Pauly, Are you looking at different rims?

After Direzzas have gone to 888 as I can use them for both road and track and they are a fair bit cheaper. I don't expect them to last as long but are more than happy with them. If I do want faster times in comp I use the A050 but they are too soft for road use. Pauly, Are you looking at different rims?
Hey mark. I'm not in the actual market just as yet. But will be when the Toyos wear out.

The other thing to keep in mind is that R rubber compound tends to change after about 3 years (as will road rubber over time). Will start to harden, although I have used older tyres on the road/track and they are still OK, but if you see cracking - chuck em. Don't be surprised if a little bumpy after being parked for a while (couple of weeks) but will soon round out.

All depends on how stored and used. I use mine regularly and am happy with feel and performance.

Never easy answers to these questions Chris.

Thanks Mark appreciate that. Do you find the R888's noisy? Just been reading some reviews and the common complaint if you could call it that is they are a bit drony and noisy...... Otherwise they get a very good wrap.

Archived