Tyres should I go R spec?

Noise is relative to the person but no, I find them easy on the ear and with road return.

Send me a PM with your number and we can discuss further,may even be able to take you for a ride.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another thing to consider is that, just like slicks, R spec tyres go off and have a limited number of heat cycles. Typically 50-60 heat cycles for the toyo 888 and RA1, 30-40 for a yoki A050, 40-50 for the A048 and so on. The current slicks we use(hoosier R100) are even more particular where they have 4 absolute grip cycles followed by 4 great then it plateau's off until cord. We have used them for 28 heat cycles until cord but they are just loosing time. Heat cycles are basically everytime you take the tyre to operating temperature and let it cool. For instance each session at the track. Our PCNSW track days usually consist of 6-7 sessions per day.

Personally i would not use R spec tyres on the street, they are very noisy and tram track incredibly bad. Not to mention they run harder side walls and transfer a hell of a lot of road noise into the cabin. They will also throw a lot more stones not only at the car behind you but also your inner splash guards. 

Although they provide more grip in the dry, they can be incredibly dangerous in wet condition. As one of our customers found out on a drive home from Wakefield Park raceway in Goulburn. Had a great day on R spec tires only to come into heavy rain in the highway on the way home. He reduced his speed from 110kph to 60 and was having a hard time controlling the car. (all this while cars with street tyres where going past at 100kph). He then hit standing water which threw his car into the triple cables to the left of the road, ripped most of the car up and then spat him back across 3 lanes of traffic then across the medium strip and left him facing the wrong way on a 3 lane highway. unbelievably no cars were coming the other direction.

These are just some things to consider, as always there are pro's and con's of any tyre and they must be driven to the conditions.

Regards

Sean

Interesting reading Sean and great feedback from someone involved in motorsport.

You talk about taking the tyre to "operating temperature". Is this more difficult on the road. Does an R-spec tyre have to be worked more aggressively to get the best out of it?

Bearing in mind that you are not consistently on the gas are you really going to get them working correctly on the road?

Interesting reading Sean and great feedback from someone involved in motorsport.

You talk about taking the tyre to "operating temperature". Is this more difficult on the road. Does an R-spec tyre have to be worked more aggressively to get the best out of it?

Bearing in mind that you are not consistently on the gas are you really going to get them working correctly on the road?

T-Man

Your tyres have not gone off......

believe me because as you know I was behind you for most of the twisties last Sunday and your car performed extremely well.

I was not going to go into track use for R tyres - but as Sean and Dubai944 say it is why they are spec'd for track use rather than road use.

Although, they are legal for road use and I do have that other rim set with roadies to give myself an option (or 2).

You would not want to limit your options by going to the expense of putting R rubber on your only set of rims for mainly road trips and find they didn't suit.

That is why Chris is asking the questions to make an informed decision.

Really appreciate all the comments and advice from Sean, Dubai944 and Mark its all very educational and a great discussion that I think quite a few people are finding very informative.

Mark, be in contact in the next day or so for a chat. 

Good on you all for passing on your experience :)

I agree Steve. I was talking to Theo on the phone earlier and said how informative the advice has been. Really pleased that everyone has participated.

Also like the Direzza's. have been reading some reviews about them on Tire rack and they look like a really good option along with the yoko neova's which Niko has.

Might get some quotes and see how they compare.....

I must add that the Direzza's will easily exceed any requirements you should have for street driving.

If you are breaking traction or feel at all out of control, then you should be on the track.

This is a great thread Chris.  I am following keenly.

All of the insights into R spec are very informative.  I don't think R specs are the tyre for me.  My tyre decision is based more about where the car spends most of its time i.e. the road.

I was very happy with the Toyo T1R's on the 3.2.

And to answer Pauly question I am running Yokohama S drives on the 993 as handed to me from the previous owner.

Well i guess size matters also. I mean i've got 225 50 R16 & 245 24 R16. With the same tyres but larger size, you would get more grip so to speak. 

Like I said, I was finding it a little challenging to keep up with Doug. Experience is 1 though. Then you've got suspension setups too, which makes a difference. Different cambers to different driving styles. 

While on the subject I referred earlier to having a set of Direzza 1 on the car which I had been quite happy with. The Tirerack refers to them 1&2 as a track tyre as well - I have seen examples of these tyres (1) after being used on the track and they weren't pretty, but they are still a great street performance tyre.

As Theo alluded to the rears will wear faster,but isn't that the case on all Porsches !

While on the subject I referred earlier to having a set of Direzza 1 on the car which I had been quite happy with. The Tirerack refers to them 1&2 as a track tyre as well - I have seen examples of these tyres (1) after being used on the track and they weren't pretty, but they are still a great street performance tyre.

As Theo alluded to the rears will wear faster,but isn't that the case on all Porsches !

Wouldn't that be different for us mark? i mean we've got more weight at the front of our cars

You use your Turbo don't you Pauly !

Depends on how much squirt you use, but for us yes their would be less rear wear compared to a 911.

Also you find with different tyre diameter/widths/compounds - front to rear will make a difference in understeer/oversteer so 

Porsche design this in and if you vary the formula best to use a similar ratio.

• 1 month later...

Just saw this thread. Thought I could offer some insight. It was me that Sean was alluding to regards the accident on the way home from the track. I was actually on very worn Nitto R specs which is to say virtually no tread. Pretty much a slick. Even with full depth tread R specs are a bit hit and miss in the wet. However I did pretty much run my old car on R spec permanently. I was able to do this as I didn't drive long distances on the road and also living in Sydney you can get away with R specs due to the lack of rain on a consistent basis. I was also more prone to driving pretty quickly on the street just because the R specs offered so much more grip than a normal road tyre. I mainly used R888's which are in the harder wearing spectrum of R specs. I think it might be a case of horses for courses, but as Steve/Dubai put it, get another set of rims. Also be aware that as you go higher up the grippy tyre totem pole, you lose a bit of forgiveness. So when they do slide they will probably do it more rapidly with less warning. After all that, it was hard to consider using a different, less grippy tyre once I'd progressed to R specs. Enter at your own risk!  ;)

So after all the great advice and comments which I really appreciate. and thank you all for.

I have gone with the Dunlop Direzza Z2 tyres. from all reports they are a good compromise between an R spec tyre and a performance street tyre. Havent had a chance yet to give them a good run just a quiet drive back to the southern side of the Yarra. must say though they are quieter and seem to ride a bit softer than the very hard Falken 452's I had on previously. Will give a bit of a report once I have had a chance to go for a run on some twisty roads....

C

I've purchased from tirerack without any issue, challenge is to keep the total cost under $1k to avoid gst. They'll split shipments if you ask, costs a little more for shipping but is still normally cheaper than local cost even after fitting. You'll need to email as their checkout process doesn't allow non US/Canadian addresses, unless its changed. I bought a full set of Mich PSS for one of my old cars got them significantly cheaper and it only took about 2 weeks from order.

Has anyone bought from tire rack and what was the experience like ?.

I bought from Tirerack maybe 9 months ago now and they were fantastic to deal with.  Excellent prices and the tyres arrived quickly.

Definately try to keep your order under the $1k limit to avoid taxes.

I ordered a set of Goodyear Eagle F1 A2 tyres 235/40-18 & 255/35-18 respectively and am very happy with them.  For road tyres they provide a high level of grip (especially in the wet).  Strongly recommended for anyone not looking for R-spec.  Oh and they're cheaper than their Michelin PSS competition with only slightly lower dry level grip too ;)

Got to finally give the new Direzza's a try out this morning. Am stunned at the difference they have made to the car. Smoother, quieter and the grip and confidence they give is amazing. The inherent understeer typical of the 993 has disappeared. Certainly the biggest improvement I have ever made on a car.

A very big thank you to Theo for his advice and recommendation.

AWESOME!

C

Archived