Maintaining your weekender

Simonk

It's been 3 weeks since I've been for a drive in my Porsche and it's got me thinking whether I should be doing something to make sure it stays healthy while it's not being used. I know countless times in the past when I've been trying to sell cars, things go wrong with them when they're parked up for too long. I've read so many times that these things need to be driven. So I'm thinking it would be good to get together a list of tips for those of us that own a car that doesn't get driven very often. Some people only do a couple thousand kms a year so what do we do to make sure that when we do want to take it for a drive, it doesn't kick up a fuss.

Do we start her up once every couple weeks and let her sit for 10 minutes to get the blood flowing?

Do we take it for a quick spin around the block once a fortnight?

Disconnect battery while not in use?

Does the amount of petrol in the tank matter when it's parked up for a long time? I remember years ago condensation killed a fuel tank in a motorbike I had.

These are the things I'm thinking of and if anyone has any tips they can think of, let us know. I recently found out that tyres have a used by date of about 6 years so there are things to be aware of when owning a weekender that may not apply to a daily drive.

Of course the real answer is just drive the thing more. Also, a friends dad had his '85 Carrera parked in a warehouse for 7 years. When he got it back on the road, all it needed was fresh oil, fuel, brake fluid and she was good to go so maybe I shouldn't really worry about it.

Anyway, I'm interested to hear what other people do.

Best not to just start it and let it warm up then turn it off. You want to move the oil around the whole system. That goes for the gearbox as well.

Wheel bearings like to get a work out as well. Ok lets call it a 20 minute drive to keep everything happy. This will also keep the driver happy.

You will end up with less fuel smell if you keep the tank full. IE 30ltrs of fuel sitting in a 80ltr tank leaves 50ltrs of vapor space.

I keep a small charger on my battery when the car is not getting much use. Just a very slow charge that keeps the battery happy. Also on this if you have the battery out of the car don't just leave it sitting on the ground. A cold floor will suck the charge out of the battery over time. Place it up off the ground if you can. I have a spare battery I keep in one of my spares lockers the sits on some 2x4" pine.

This could be a bit over the top but I also roll my car back and forth just a little in the shed just so its not always sitting on the same spot on the tyres all the time. When the tyres are off the car they are kept in the cool out of the sun. Again over the top but there you go.

Edit. Don't forget the brakes while you are doing you move it all around drive. Give them a bit of a work out to move the seals and clean the rotors up. I am not talking jump on them as hard as you can and come to a screaming stop but don't forget to use them a little. If you only drive around a the block you might not get a single propper stop in.

fuel now goes after as little as 6 weeks apparently, so those fuel additives like Sta-bil are worth considering

You'd want to go for a long drive even just to get the condensation out of your exhaust (and the oil/engine up to temperature)

I think there's also something to be said about moving the car around so it's not sitting in the one spot on it's wheel bearings too

Do we start her up once every couple weeks and let her sit for 10 minutes to get the blood flowing?

no! move off straight away and get the car moving and oil circulating. important to make it go through a proper heat cycle.

battery conditioner is a must i think - you'll be more likely to drive it if it starts easy :D

if it's been sitting for a while do not touch the clutch pedal until it's started up and idling - i can't remember who told me this but there are bearings that will wear out very quickly otherwise (maybe they might not have oil on them until the engine is kicked into life properly??)

All good advice backed up by evidence.

Driving condensation out of oil is important, shut off an engine and water droplets form as said engine cools...Good reason to change oil on time not just distance intervals.

JARDINE, F., "ENGINE CORROSION-ITS CAUSES AND AVOIDANCE," SAE Technical Paper 250030, 1925, doi:10.4271/250030.
Author(s):

Frank Jardine - ALCOA
Abstract:

Corrosion in gasoline engines is generally believed to be due to sulphuric acid formed by the combination of sulphur carried in low-grade fuels and oils with water that enters or is generated in the engine. Much of this trouble occurs in winter and may be traced directly to the action of water that condenses on the inside of the cylinders and crankcase when a cold engine is started. The water destroys the oil-film and comes into direct contact with metal of the pistons, cylinders and other parts, causing them to rust. If this occurs and the lubricating system does not supply more oil to the surfaces immediately upon the restarting of the engine, scored cylinders and pistons are likely to result, or, if the engine is stopped before it is warmed up, condensation and rusting will be rapid and will result in excessive wear.

There should be a law insisting all P car owners drive their steeds at least every other week :D . Exception : car down for maintenance. Even then , a catch up clause should be part of the punishment.

Remember to switch your insurances too, I lowered my cover to just 2 usages a month.... which is about right unfortunately! 

Not going to save the car I know, but it'll save you some $$$, just bump it back up if you start using it more. :) 

Advice from Nick Fulljames (renowned P car engine builder in UK):  If you leave a 911 sit for too long between drives the oil can pool in the lower rocker chamber. The pressure will cause seepage along the rocker shafts and make its way down to the garage floor.  If you fit rocker shaft seals this could be avoided as long as the bores and shafts are not damaged. 

I guess this can apply to oil return tubes too. If the oil is sitting against old tired o-rings, it might work its way out after a while.

..... Also on this if you have the battery out of the car don't just leave it sitting on the ground. A cold floor will suck the charge out of the battery over time. Place it up off the ground if you can. I have a spare battery I keep in one of my spares lockers the sits on some 2x4" pine.....

Martin,

Hasn't that been debunked on Mythbusters?

Not Adam and Jamie but: http://www.thebatteryterminal.com/TechTalk_Batteries_on_Concrete.htm

Gotta try and drive it more Simon and I agree with Uncle, start it up and give it a run. I'm thinking at least 20-30 min run to just move the oil around and blow out the cobwebs :)

I don't believe in starting an engine and letting it idle for say 10 mins, a run would have to be more beneficial one would think.

I had to replace the tyres on the 944 I bought, they were 6 1/2 years old and still had maybe two years of tread left but were out of round and it was impossible to balance them, Pirrelli p6000, quite a good tyre, shame they had to be thrown away.

Anyway why do we buy these cars?

Not to sit in a garage, get out and drive them people.

30 minutes a week is exactly what the doctor ordered for both the P-car and its owner.

Enough time to get the temps nice throughout all the moving bits and be able to stretch out a couple of gears.

Keeps everything moving, tyres stay round and the owner stays sane.

30 minutes a week is exactly what the doctor ordered for both the P-car and its owner.

Enough time to get the temps nice throughout all the moving bits and be able to stretch out a couple of gears.

Keeps everything moving, tyres stay round and the owner stays sane.

Even the most mundane drive has a moment or two when its just you and your Porsche and big stupid grin. I just hope you know who wasn't watching.

Even the most mundane drive has a moment or two when its just you and your Porsche and big stupid grin. I just hope you know who wasn't watching.

so long as it has a roundabout or those chicane things meant to make you slow down, I love those things.

I go away for 6-8 weeks at a time. I have a bit of a ritual. I try not to have too much fuel left in the tank, just in case it does go off, then I can fill with fresh fuel when I get back thus diluting any stale fuel.

1. wash and polish

2. short drive to get rid of any trapped water, wet brakes etc..... and lament the impending departure

3. park in the dark, cool garage (always cool, even in summer), park brake off, in neutral.

4. connect the battery conditioner

5. cover in soft sheets then a good car cover over the top.

When I get back,

5. uncover,

4. disconnect,

3. walk around,

2. turn the key, starts first time,

1. short welcome back drive for fresh fuel and check oil and tyres,

GO !

Archived