Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

the simple answer to this is a very small percentage compared to overall prod numbers. And at least for pre 74 delivery by memory less than 400?

Some info from the oracle aka 'Hugh' on early 911 numbers, 912's a bit sketchier

Delivered to Aust - only "complete numbers for 69 - 73 after new ordering and numbering systems introduced at porsche

Before that no consolidated info except i have a letter that says that in 1967 32 cars were ordered from australia of all types (incl 912's) but no breakdown was available

1969MY 75cars ( 11 912, 38 T coupe, 21 E coupe, 5 S coupe)

1970 MY 71 cars (incl NZ) 37 T, 20E 14S)

1971 MY 65 cars incl NZ (35T 17E 13S)

1972 MY 33 cars (9T 18E 6S)

1973MY 99 cars (26T 50E 15S 8RS)

as to total RHD this has never been available but guesses can be made

The only model line where it is known is RS/RSR

117 out of the 1580 RS/RSR's were RHD and out of the 117 we got 8 but only 6 were RHD - so about 5% 0f RHD were aust. You can extrapolate back from that but probably not very accurate

HOWEVER

In some models we know how many to UK and australia - together they must make up over 90% of RHD (also south africa, hong kong and some other small RHD markets but at least some SA and HK cars seemed to go thru UK first and seem to be in their figures anyway)

so for 2.4S (72 and 73 MY) there were supposed to be 144 coupe and 46 targas

of those Australia got 6 targas and 15 coupes

ie about 10% of RHD

there were supposed to be only about 35 RHD 67 S's made - we probably got 4 or 5

so there is enough data to take a rough stab at how many RHD by using actual numbers where known and applying ratio of australian cars (say 10% or so of all RHD) to get a possible RHD number and then seeing what that is as a percebntage of all cars

it would be rough though and i think would vary over time

another way of looking at it is that they made over 400 LHD cars before they made a single RHD one at the beginning......

Definitely looks nice and the price looks even nicer but I am always a bit skeptical when such little effort goes into the description of any vehicle. I can't help but feel it echos the sellers attitude towards the ownership of the car.

I assume it's a 73' 911 T as I couldn't find any info on an FT model but I stand to be corrected on that of course..

Some info from the oracle aka 'Hugh' on early 911 numbers, 912's a bit sketchier

Delivered to Aust - only "complete numbers for 69 - 73 after new ordering and numbering systems introduced at porsche

Before that no consolidated info except i have a letter that says that in 1967 32 cars were ordered from australia of all types (incl 912's) but no breakdown was available

1969MY 75cars ( 11 912, 38 T coupe, 21 E coupe, 5 S coupe)

1970 MY 71 cars (incl NZ) 37 T, 20E 14S)

1971 MY 65 cars incl NZ (35T 17E 13S)

1972 MY 33 cars (9T 18E 6S)

1973MY 99 cars (26T 50E 15S 8RS)

as to total RHD this has never been available but guesses can be made

The only model line where it is known is RS/RSR

117 out of the 1580 RS/RSR's were RHD and out of the 117 we got 8 but only 6 were RHD - so about 5% 0f RHD were aust. You can extrapolate back from that but probably not very accurate

HOWEVER

In some models we know how many to UK and australia - together they must make up over 90% of RHD (also south africa, hong kong and some other small RHD markets but at least some SA and HK cars seemed to go thru UK first and seem to be in their figures anyway)

so for 2.4S (72 and 73 MY) there were supposed to be 144 coupe and 46 targas

of those Australia got 6 targas and 15 coupes

ie about 10% of RHD

there were supposed to be only about 35 RHD 67 S's made - we probably got 4 or 5

so there is enough data to take a rough stab at how many RHD by using actual numbers where known and applying ratio of australian cars (say 10% or so of all RHD) to get a possible RHD number and then seeing what that is as a percebntage of all cars

it would be rough though and i think would vary over time

another way of looking at it is that they made over 400 LHD cars before they made a single RHD one at the beginning......

Bridgekeeper: Hee hee heh. Stop. What... is your name?

King Arthur: It is 'Arthur', King of the Britons.

Bridgekeeper: What... is your quest?

King Arthur: To seek the Holy Grail.

Bridgekeeper: What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

King Arthur: What do you mean? An African or European swallow?

Bridgekeeper: Huh? I... I don't know that.

[he is thrown over]

Bridgekeeper: Auuuuuuuugh.

Sir Bedevere: How do know so much about swallows?

King Arthur: Well, you have to know these things when you're a king, you know.

I don't have time right now to do better stats but I think you'll find even at that time we bought more per person than most places. 

Courtesy of a small and relatively affluent pouplation. Just because we have "more" doesn't mean we have a lot to choose from.

King Arthur: To seek the Holy Grail.

As one of the first sports cars that could be enjoyed on all Australian roads without breaking, Porsche has become the holy grail for many Australian car enthusiasts of all generations

http://www.motoring.com.au/advice/2005/prestige-and-luxury/porsche/911/porsche-used-car-advice-7458

Old article but still relevant

This just through the 911 grapevine

73%20%20BARR%20%203252.jpeg

1980 911 SC
American delivered and converted to right hand drive by York Motors
Full respray, upholstery  and carpets
Mechanically; fuel injection overhauled, new clutch, starter motor, alternator overhauled
Michelin tyres 85% remaining
240,000kms
Regularly serviced by Pit Exchange
Heaps of receipt and documents + spare parts

Asking $34,500

This just through the 911 grapevine

1980 911 SC

American delivered and converted to right hand drive by York Motors...

If only they'd not sprayed it green,   lovely colour,  not really me, though one can adapt,  is there a way to get more pictures ?

The white 'lightweight' 964 c4 sold in less than a week in Mildura from an ask of $58k.

The ratty red one has also disappeared.

Seems the run on 964 is extending to the c4's. Must be something seriously wrong with the Melbourne dealer car which hasn't moved at $50k in a month.

I wish someone would have a look and give us the lowdown!

I was going to be in Melbourne next week, but had to cancel the trip... Will get there at some point and will check it out if it's still available.

I wish someone would have a look and give us the lowdown!

I popped down on Tuesday and had a look.  Seemed OK visually, but there was an issue with the alarm (apparently) and he couldn't start it.

Did mention that it had a run-in with a roo on its way down to Melbourne, the driver's side headlight and windscreen were replaced and the bonnet resprayed.  Looks like it was a good repair job though, the paint match was faultless.  Also seemed like an honest guy (as far as car salesmen go,) if I was ready to buy I would snap it up, even if it is red and a 4.

So, it seems like a nice car.... (assuming it actually starts and the repairs check out)

Can someone tell me why the Carrera 2's sell in 5 minutes and no-one wants the 4's......

Is there a design fault with the 4wd system? ......

So, it seems like a nice car.... (assuming it actually starts and the repairs check out)

Can someone tell me why the Carrera 2's sell in 5 minutes and no-one wants the 4's......

Is there a design fault with the 4wd system? ......

no it's quite an advanced system for the time (arguably better than the 993's system).

but that doesn't change the fact it is heavy and largely unnecessary.

manual, hard top, RWD will always be the winning combo for the air cooled stuff!