Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

Nice C3.2 but not much change out of $70k!

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1988/OAG-AD-867262/?Cr=24

Can't imagine how it could have needed new P&C's at that mileage though.

And you were asking me where all the 3.2's went! See what happens when you actually look ....

Regarding that 3.2 above .... go and have a look at the "for sale, barter, trade or swap" forum .... it is being sold by a member here ....

It's either flood or famine I tell ya Ronny! Yes it does help if I actually look.....

I'm starting to think why would anyone bother with those air cooled thingies when you can have this for $22K: http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-928-1985/SSE-AD-3217552/?Cr=321

Do yourself a favour Peter ....

Go for a walk outside, stand behind that air cooled thingy for a minute, then walk around to either side of it, and wait another minute .....

You'll never have to ask yourself or anyone else that stupid question ever again ... you know the one .... why would anyone bother with those air cooled thingies when you can have this for $22K ....

After that, come back inside and wash your mouth out with soap ...... :)

Do yourself a favour Peter ....

Go for a walk outside, stand behind that air cooled thingy for a minute, then walk around to either side of it, and wait another minute .....

You'll never have to ask yourself or anyone else that stupid question ever again ... you know the one .... why would anyone bother with those air cooled thingies when you can have this for $22K ....

After that, come back inside and wash your mouth out with soap ...... :)

Ahahaha!

I take a walk around my beloved 911 ... it's a fabulous little frog!

I take a walk around my newly beloved 928 (pictures don't do justice to the up close feel of these cars) and it's a fabulous shark!

Very hard to choose between the two , when it comes to taking either for a spin. It's like having 2 mistresses  :) Sometimes I have both in the same day  ;)

Tazzieman, where's the sweet spot with 928s. Early 4.7 S for $10k (I'd have nearly that much in gold coins in my centre console!)

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-928-1981/SSE-AD-3038405/?Cr=1

Or the silver one above for $22k

Or later 5L for $17k

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-928-1986/SSE-AD-3154716/?Cr=10 - green doesn't suit but looks tidy

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-928-1986/AGC-AD-15576632

Since I was a kid I've loved these things. Has to be the original shape not the later ('89 on?) update. Pacha interior is even better for 80s retro. First one i saw in the 80s seemed like it was from Mars. At these prices, almost worth sticking one in the garage for a bit of fun, especially at $10k. Very cool and cheap way to run around town provided it keeps running.

But I have fears of Rover-esque non starting, flickering dash lights, electronic gremlins and very expensive repairs. Please convince me it's a bad idea......

And are they great to drive or more a boulevard cruiser?

Ahahaha!

I take a walk around my beloved 911 ... it's a fabulous little frog!

I take a walk around my newly beloved 928 (pictures don't do justice to the up close feel of these cars) and it's a fabulous shark!

Very hard to choose between the two , when it comes to taking either for a spin. It's like having 2 mistresses  :) Sometimes I have both in the same day  ;)

Just don't let the wife Landrover catch you!

What about this early model which appears to be in good nick with an engine rebuild as well.

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-928-1981/SSE-AD-982791/?Cr=9

I am still loving this one.

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-928-1990/SSE-AD-3154104/?Cr=17

Mike,I'm not entirely convinced that it's an import .....I can't see any telltale signs of being a convert, and unless it's a UK import, someone might have just got an Oz delivered bargain of bargains (UK delivered cars don't usually have air cond.)Maybe someone else can see something I've missed ......

Bargain of a lifetime - but missed opportunity.

Aus del, matching # clean car, sold for above advertised price.

Looks nice but I could buy 3 x $10k ones instead and just drive the one that's working on any particular day!

Don't let him intimidate you SteveF ....

All you would need to do is sit on the sidelines till the end of the week and all 3 have given up the ghost, then just drive past and toot that horn of yours while giving a great big wave and a cheeky grin ....

Then he'll wish he'd bought your car instead ...... (just make sure that yours breaks down around the corner where you cant be seen) .......

oh the horror!  I'm desperate but not stupid for a Porsche  lol  sh!t  who does these things???   Ugh...  oh man.

Now this one - remove whale tail and good to go  http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/mangrove-mountain/cars-vans-utes/1979-porsche-911-sc-targa/1037245023

Tazzieman, where's the sweet spot with 928s. Early 4.7 S for $10k (I'd have nearly that much in gold coins in my centre console!)

But I have fears of Rover-esque non starting, flickering dash lights, electronic gremlins and very expensive repairs. Please convince me it's a bad idea......

And are they great to drive or more a boulevard cruiser?

I cannot choose your favourite "wine"

Like 911s you just have to go and sample a few , and expect some are better set up or fresher. e.g. 25 year old injectors might be clagged and the car feels sluggish...autos different from manuals...

This is classic car territory , classic supercar territory and these cars are quite sophisticated .

Pretty much the only reason they are "cheap" is inverted snobbery from 911 owners.

If you can't do any work yourself , as with a Ferrari or Lambo you are at the mercy of your local mechanic, and most do not work on these rare cars (they must have the factory workshop manual for a start). As with any water cooled car you are going to require waterpumps and timing belts. Unlike some classic Ferrari's,  it is not an engine-out job. 

I would approach a purchase exactly the same way I would for a 964 or 993, similarly complex and expensive to repair.

911 engine rebuild? - 20-30k+

928 engine rebuild? - 15-20k?

Buy a cherished one and you will have much much more than a boulevard cruiser , and it won't be a garage queen like 95% Ferraris.

Daily drive? Occasional weekend drive? These cars begged to be driven often, otherwise they can get grumpy.

Here's an experience from Rennlist

"Sabrina has just clocked 450 000km! 

In the 370 000km and 15 years that I have owned the 928S, the engine has never been opened, she still runs with the original exhaust system, no suspension bushes have needed replacement and the paint is largely original except for a few touch ups here and there. She has only ever broken down twice - once with a failed air flow sensor, and the second time with a failed starter relay. So far I have had to replace 2 sets of engine mountings, 6 sets of tyres, 1 set of brake discs (new fronts now required), 4 reverse clutches, 1 auto gearbox seal kit, 1 set of gearbox mountings, 2 heater valves, about 100 liters of engine oil, 45 liters of ATF, 1 dashboard, 2 headlight height adjusting mechanisms, 1 set of shocks (well overdue), 5 cambelts, 2 sump gaskets, 3 windscreens, 1 instrument cluster motherboard, 1 aircon compressor, 1 visco fan, 4 front spoilers, 1 set of injectors, 72 spark plugs, 19 oil filters, 7 auto gearbox filters, 7 fuel filters, 2 door handle mechanisms, 2 sets of side window seals, 1 side window channel, 2 driveshaft joints and boots.......I suppose I've rebuilt the car.

This is undoubtedly the best car I have ever owned and still enjoy driving her at every opportunity."

I would say the early 928s are "all $15-20k cars" and S4s and GTs "all $25-50k cars" one way or another.

Your buy in point may seem attractive , and there are some bargains as people seek to offload to a small market negatively biased by adverse internet reports. The good thing is we don't have cars from frozen climes subject to salt. My '82 doesn't have a skerrick of rust and I have sorted just about every electrical item , most of which are related to cleaning ground connections and finding chafed wires.

The 928 is a wolf in shark's clothing . As a useable and very rapid luxury classic , for my mind it ticks all the boxes - which is precisely why I bought one!

911 - white wine 928 - red wine = completely different drinks, but from the same house of quality.

Edit & add

http://www.928.org.uk/buyers-guide.html

Read!