Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

That's been for sale for a lonnnnnngggggg time too.  Make him an offer Adam!

Not sure my budget will ever stretch that far, plus it's a manual......

Will be an auto for me B) bung left knee.........

I still like that green S3.... maybe after the house is built! (and a few cars less in the garage...)

I hate been second in line....even if you do contact the seller before 6am :)

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/gulfview-heights/cars-vans-utes/1973-porsche-911-coupe/1073644311

Guess who bought it

Great work Michel,

Gives the rest of hope that there is still bargains to be had and not to give up just yet.

Looking forward to lots of photos and a story of your collection trip.

The interior of this thing looks clean:

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-1981/SSE-AD-3306326/?Cr=8

Price seems on the high side given the distance travelled.  But I am not sure if SCs should actually have a bit of mileage on them given the likely head stud problems for garage queens.  Balancing the benefits for some mileage with the potential need for engine and gear box rebuild puts me in a bit of head spin for these older cars.

The Carerra badge seems out of place?

The interior of this thing looks clean:

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-1981/SSE-AD-3306326/?Cr=8

Price seems on the high side given the distance travelled.  But I am not sure if SCs should actually have a bit of mileage on them given the likely head stud problems for garage queens.  Balancing the benefits for some mileage with the potential need for engine and gear box rebuild puts me in a bit of mental spin for these older cars.

The Carerra badge seems out of place?

On balance, you'd want lower mileage - I don't think head stud failure can really be predicted.  You just need to budget on opening the valve covers as part of a PPI.  Higher mileage equals higher wear on all components - from rod bearings and cylinder bores to wheel bearings, steering racks, door handles and seat bases.

I'd say the interior has been partially redone - the engine looks more authentic.

Running on hychill in the AC as well, I see.

Gents

Saw the ad. not Long after it was posted. Waited for a semi decent time to call.

I was second in line As per my post.

The seller Wayne was a nice older guy, when I spoke to him I indicated it was worth a lot more than he listed it for.

Despite that he thought he should honour a phone call he took from a car dealer in mlb. In itself a good thing. But

I like a deal like the next ,.. Not a steal. ,

IMO I think there's deals and there's deals...in this case the seller an older guy with no idea of the market got fleeced.

For me not a case of sour grapes , but I do think we should not let our hobby get in the way of treating people with some care

Just saying

So you didn't get it.  That's what I thought.  Someone in Melbourne did, and it will reappear, fixed up, with an $80k price tag.

If you have something old like this, you're mad not to ebay it - if the bidding had started at $16k it would have sold in a week and netted much more cash for the seller.

Gents

Saw the ad. not Long after it was posted. Waited for a semi decent time to call.

I was second in line As per my post.

The seller Wayne was a nice older guy, when I spoke to him I indicated it was worth a lot more than he listed it for.

Despite that he thought he should honour a phone call he took from a car dealer in mlb. In itself a good thing. But

I like a deal like the next ,.. Not a steal. ,

IMO I think there's deals and there's deals...in this case the seller an older guy with no idea of the market got fleeced.

For me not a case of sour grapes , but I do think we should not let our hobby get in the way of treating people with some care

Just saying

somehow I thought you got it .....  

I agree, the price was well below market 

If you have something old like this, you're mad not to ebay it - if the bidding had started at $16k it would have sold in a week and netted much more cash for the seller.

Old people usually won't go near ebay. Old people are wary of getting fleeced - though look what happened.

Don't allow yourself to get "old" is what I say.

Very sour grapes on the '78 SC. Being from interstate, owner agreed to inspection and pressure test before purchase. Told me I was first in line and then sells it this morning and notifies me by SMS.

Did you pay a deposit pending PPI? Without a deposit and with someone standing in front of me with cash it'd be a fairly easy decision.

Is this the going rate for 964 cabrios?

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/st-marys/cars-vans-utes/1992-porsche-911-coupe/1073122807

Did you pay a deposit pending PPI? Without a deposit and with someone standing in front of me with cash it'd be a fairly easy decision.

Is this the going rate for 964 cabrios?

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/st-marys/cars-vans-utes/1992-porsche-911-coupe/1073122807

yes it is.. although even they are starting to climb a little.  A one owner with full documentation - it seems good as long as it doesn't need another $20k spent on it!  I've been watching this car since it was advertised.

They still sit on the market for a while IF they aren't a nice color that is. Silver, dark blues and blacks seem to take longer to sell from what I know.  ie 3 years now of watching them.

I'd have it! 

Well I was watching Gumtree until 2am and it wasnt listed then.

I offered more than the 12k asking price, yet as I wouldnt want to have my lunch cut by a higher offer, I suppose I was a bit rude doing so.

Wayne was a nice bloke, and obviously a man of his word. I'd hate to see it go up on Ebay or Carsales at a much higher price, yet if a car yard got it, well, its obvious thats going to happen.

That was the bargain of 2015 I reckon.

Because I was annoyed I missed it, I went and bought myself another Citizen watch to dry my tears.

Old people usually won't go near ebay. Old people are wary of getting fleeced - though look what happened.

Don't allow yourself to get "old" is what I say.

'Old' people generally have 'young(er)' people around to give advice.

I recently sold my old man's car for him and got $5k more than the trade in offered, then found a replacement thousands below a similar car from a dealer with lower ks and higher spec.

Even if I had no interest in Dad's/Grandad's rusty dusty old Porsche, I'd offer to spend the time to determine market price and figure out the best way of selling it.  

EDIT: I guess I'm saying don't let yourself get old and isolated