Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

Most of the early cars are in Group S these days. That wonderful 993 RSCS of Chris Stannard's in the Eastern Creek video would be the oldest in Prod Sports. 

Figured. There's such a gap between 77 and late 80s Porsches that isn't filled by racing in Australia.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/concord/cars-vans-utes/1978-porsche-911-sc-blue-5-speed-manual-coupe/1020602132

How does this work? One of 350 SCs delivered to Japan in 1978. Why would the car be LHD in a RHD country?

I quite like the car and don't think it would take much to turn back into a decent runner, but the provenance box has a huge question mark on the LHD issue. In my mind I associate LHD with sated roads unless it is a California car or Singapore, then how does it end up in Japan?

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/concord/cars-vans-utes/1978-porsche-911-sc-blue-5-speed-manual-coupe/1020602132

How does this work? One of 350 SCs delivered to Japan in 1978. Why would the car be LHD in a RHD country?

I quite like the car and don't think it would take much to turn back into a decent runner, but the provenance box has a huge question mark on the LHD issue. In my mind I associate LHD with sated roads unless it is a California car or Singapore, then how does it end up in Japan?

That car has been for sale for at least 5 years, possibly longer!

Found this in another thread.

From Wiki:

Japan does allow both right hand drive and left hand drive vehicles on its roads. In some cases, especially foreign models, available in both configurations, as left hand drive is seen as a status symbol, not only in the case of German models, but also British ones, despite the UK being a right hand drive market. Some models like theFord Explorer are now only available in left hand drive, despite being available in right hand drive in other markets, on account of it being seen as an American product.

Most of the Japanese aircooled Porsches I've seen were LHD.

Edward Lees is a Japanese car importer in Sydney - they can find and bring in all kinds of stuff. We spoke to them about a classic mini some months ago.

japan often has LHD cars- sign of prestige

that car in particular is grossly overpriced and something of a tax dodge for edward lees, he just has it there to drive on weekends and if some sucker buys it, well happy days..

they have quite the 'reputation'

Most of the Japanese aircooled Porsches I've seen were LHD.

Edward Lees is a Japanese car importer in Sydney - they can find and bring in all kinds of stuff. We spoke to them about a classic mini some months ago.

You don't want anything from Ed Lee's ever. Well unless you happen to be looking for a rusty car with a wound back speedo.

Ahh, Max, I remember that, a 1969 E that looked almost identical to this one. 

I had that in my favourites for quite a while when I was first looking.  The guys on the Typ901 Register reassured me that it is normal for these "replicas" to take a while to sell as the market for that sort of thing is pretty small and sleepy so it's not really an indication that there is anything wrong with the car.

This is a very nice unit and I just love the styling of the RS (pity about the lack of internal photos), also agree with the comment about the rear end.

Does anyone know if the Carrera RS was originally released with metal bumpers and chrome overriders like this replica?

I thought Porsche originally fitted a one piece fibreglass rear bumper to save weight on these early RS's.

Unfortunately the rear bumper is exceptionally bad, makes you want to question the rest of the panels (and the busted mirrors). Not just lack of but no interior shots always make me worried as the interior can usually reveal a lot about how well an owner looks after their car. (so maybe in this case it is a secret!). 

But it has George 'Cains' (*Cairns, for those of you playing at home) pipes! 

Still potentially a good car, just another example of how much time people are prepared to invest in marketing their car.

Do longhood panels as parts elevate value by 10k- unlikely. Also did they convert the slam panel to early type.

Irrespective if looking for a backdate could with some neg and elbow grease make a tidy car.

IMO Shame they didn't do a 74 carrera homage

Unfortunately the rear bumper is exceptionally bad, makes you want to question the rest of the panels (and the busted mirrors).

In laymans language, what is the issue with the rear bumper arrangement? is it the bumpers or the centre plate? To my untrained eye it looks the same as most of the RS photos on the web and the same as this video at Porsche UK with a concours original RS?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lMkRGjqEwZ8

I think the car looks great, that is a superb colour combo. I could look at that car all day.

My worry is at that price , it has some rust, the respray is cosmetic not glass out and for some reason it has late model instruments when the seventies tachos are just so good looking. The car has a lot going for it especially with a freshened 3.2 engine but I could see a fussy buyer still put another $30k into paint / panel, gauges, seats and interior.

In laymans language, what is the issue with the rear bumper arrangement? is it the bumpers or the centre plate? To my untrained eye it looks the same as most of the RS photos on the web and the same as this video at Porsche UK with a concours original RS?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lMkRGjqEwZ8

I think the car looks great, that is a superb colour combo. I could look at hat car all day.

My worry is at that price it has some rust, the respray is cosmetic not glass out and for some reason it has late model instruments when the seventies tachos are just so good looking. The car has a lot going for it especially with a freshened 3.2 engine but I could see a fussy buyer still put another $30k into paint / panel, gauges, seats and interior.

apart from the single exhaust outlet, the centre piece looks like he cut a piece of tin off his shed with tin snips and bent it into place.

left and rear sides are not aligned properly either.

i'm not sure of the logic behind it as surely the whole rear piece gets bought as one piece?

Pretty much what Clutch said, tin snips came to my mind as well..............

Typically used on most replicas is a complete unit similar to this:

73rs-0612-02_zpsd1287eeb.jpg

Agree the car looks good in the pictures, but like a lot of these reps your paying for the 'look' when everything else underneath could be substandard. Does anyone know if its a 74 as advertised or a 70 E as stated in the description? 

Agree the car looks good in the pictures, but like a lot of these reps your paying for the 'look' when everything else underneath could be substandard. Does anyone know if its a 74 as advertised or a 70 E as stated in the description? 

The Ad now states that the VIN was pointed out as being a 70E, which is really confusing because the dash looks like post 73?

Perhaps it is a RHD conversion and they used a later model dash?

Except for the rear valance/bumper, which could be replaced with a fibreglass unit, this car could be a nice little hot rod. Yes I am biased :)

But I think the seller needs to add more detail so we are not all kept guessing about the pros and cons.  The lack of detail or incorrect information leads to distrust and speculation as to the veracity of the other facts.

The more upfront the seller is with these details the better informed the buyers are and as such the market will dictate the appropriate price.  There have been a few tributes at this price in the past, but they did take some time to move.