Four Banger Boxster

Airhead

is this the start of the VW shared platform for the Boxster?

"As far as I know we should have a new Boxster and Cayman in 2016 and we will see what that car will offer," said Muller when asked when the entry level Porsche sports cars would get that new four-cylinder engine.

Advertisement

He also confirmed such an engine would be a horizontally-opposed unit unique to Porsche, rather than a more traditional inline engine shared with other models in the Volkswagen Group.

"We are a boxer company," he said.

When Chris Harris comes out with something along the lines of the new Cayman S being all the car he needs and that he wouldn't pay the extra for a 911 then you have a situation like when the 944 turbo started to outshine the then current 911 turbo.

What happens from here we will have to wait and see but I would be surprised if the cayman/boxsters weren't knocked down a peg

The 911 will always have its own unique appeal, there are people (like me!) who will always lust for them regardless of performance figures or comparisons.

Like the Macan, the brand is just getting with the times. As Caver said, there is no way that the newer models will be 'lesser' than their predessors - It's a good thing that they are committed to evolving unlike other struggling car manufacturers.

It's an exciting brand and becoming more versatile and innovative than ever. The 916 is a great example of a controversial idea brought to an amazing design resolution, I don't doubt that a new 4 cylinder engine will be any different!

A smaller engine might make a smaller Boxster. How are they going to do that? They are tiny already! One full supermarket trolley and you have to almost call a taxi to get half the shopping home!

I can see through my crystal ball a change starting to morph the Boxster/Cayman into something gradually becoming increasingly "less" than the 911 range. They seemed to be getting closer in terms of performance without the price tag and I guess that the purse gets full faster with 911 sales than Boxster/Cayman sales at around half the price. 

When Chris Harris comes out with something along the lines of the new Cayman S being all the car he needs and that he wouldn't pay the extra for a 911 then you have a situation like when the 944 turbo started to outshine the then current 911 turbo.

What happens from here we will have to wait and see but I would be surprised if the cayman/boxsters weren't knocked down a peg

Ever since I watched that Chris Harris video I thought Porsche would do something to further nerf the Cayman. They already have to limit the performance of the engine to keep the 911 on its perch. Imagine a 981 RS ... mmmmm - pity it'd be 200k+ here.

Doubt very much if it will be any better than my first car which was also a 4 cylinder.... with overdrive by the way. :D

img287.jpg

Still managed to lose my licence in it a couple of times though... :(

Archived