Four Banger Boxster

Airhead

At least the new Beemer Z car 4 cyl has a turbo bolted up to it.....

No mention of a turbo in there...would have to have one ...wouldn't it?

Otherwise we have just moved into the MX5 etc bracket.....(nothing derogative meant by that)

Think the current model Boxster and Caymans are going to be worth hanging onto

Yeah, but it will have direct injection, triple turbo technology, supercharger, hybrid and little mice running in a generator wheel.......

I call conspiracy! The Boxster/Cayman is getting way too close to the iconic 911 and they need to differentiate.

At least the new Beemer Z car 4 cyl has a turbo bolted up to it.....

No mention of a turbo in there...would have to have one ...wouldn't it?

Otherwise we have just moved into the MX5 etc bracket.....(nothing derogative meant by that)

Think the current model Boxster and Caymans are going to be worth hanging onto

I've been wondering when Porsche will do this.  The Macan spells it out I think... smaller SUV to compete with the VW, Audi etc  matter of time before they do the same to the Boxster.  

If they go for a 4 cylinder version..  how good can they make the engine and exhaust sound?  Cos I can tell you now, if they don't sound like my little 2.7 does - I'd dump Porsche for the MX-5 every day of the week. Because the sound this car puts out is what makes the every day boring trip to the supermarket/gym etc worthwhile - not every day can you get out on the twisties and enjoy the handling the car has.

Yeah, but it will have direct injection, triple turbo technology, supercharger, hybrid and little mice running in a generator wheel.......

I call conspiracy! The Boxster/Cayman is getting way too close to the iconic 911 and they need to differentiate.

Boy Theo, great minds think alike.

That was exactly my first thought.

I feel they have been concerned that the Box/Cay range have been running too close to the flagship for quite awhile now.

Das is nicht gut.

Maybe they are going to put a Subaru motor in it.

Dave

I'd dump Porsche for the MX-5 every day of the week. Because the sound this car puts out is what makes the every day boring trip to the supermarket/gym etc worthwhile - not every day can you get out on the twisties and enjoy the handling the car has.

All depends if you live in the Dandenong Ranges or not.

Dave

Even a stage 3 FISTER is not going to help.  

I agree Dave, may as well just whack a tried and true WRX donk in there.  (STI preferably) 

Lighten it up...and.......we have a WRXSTA.

I'd dump Porsche for the MX-5 every day of the week. Because the sound this car puts out is what makes the every day boring trip to the supermarket/gym etc worthwhile - not every day can you get out on the twisties and enjoy the handling the car has.

All depends if you live in the Dandenong Ranges or not.

Dave

I don't Dave... Ascot Vale area!  Not many twisties there (unless you count a round about!)

I agree Dave, may as well just whack a tried and true WRX donk in there.  (STI preferably) 

Oh gawd!  I'm having 327 chev into XJ6 flashbacks as a teenager!  was like being a passenger in a really noisy roller coaster !

I don't see the problem... Porsche is just going full circle here by bringing back the flat 4 motors... 914 is back you may say.

however, bringing back the 912 might do wonders for their sales, but would inevitably hurt 911's resale, image etc, something Porsche claims to value for their clients. 

Might keep the value of the 6 cylinder variants from going down too much more?  

Or opposite if the new one is a lot cheaper - remember the old 'buy the newest Porsche you can afford' mantra?  I certainly heard that a lot when shopping for mine.

playing the soundtrack of disappointment 

The initial success of the boxster was, IMO, due in no small part to the decision to put a small flat six instead of a four. Porsche no doubt had learnt from its long history of flat 4 engines that being associated with a VW was a bad thing for sales. It also made the new car look and sound better than contemporary competitors like the z3 ( which soon grew an extra couple of cylinders as a result).

But the future is in smaller, forced induction engines. BMW now stuff a turbo four where once you might have expected a six. There will soon be plenty of golf-sized cars running turbo 3s. V12s will cease to exist.

Pah. At least the oldies but goodies are still around. And probably will win the value war over time as well, for being fixable, drivable and interesting.

Porsche do have some experience with 4 bangers,  after all we have a couple of PFA members with some very well sorted 944's etc with and without force feeding that seem to go alright.  :D

Do agree with those that say Porsche are trying to put some distance between the 911 and the other cars. I guess its all about protecting the aura they have developed.

Be interested to see what they decide. if they do drop the 6 out of the boxster and cayman it will make the last model something of a desirable car wont it.....

C

Guys, if they go with the 4 instead of 6 - do you think that will make a difference to the size of the new Boxster and Cayman?  This could also be an opportunity to lighten up the size and weight, making it a bit more nimble and agile?

Just sayin...

Oh no now that awful Toyota MR2 image is popping in my head! :P

Archived