I drove the new GT3 today

GC9911

I went over to our local P centre today to look at the new GT3. Michael asked if I wanted to go for a drive, so of course I said NO!

Seriously though, I said "of course yes".

Well, whats it like?

In the real life metal, it is gorgeous, white, red brakes, dark graphite coloured rims, black alcantra interior with leather stitched in white.

Exhaust.

What does it sound like?

Barking, angry, metallic raspy but not hoon loud at idle. Give it some beans on the freeway & you want to listen to it forever, I'm not sure what it sounds like at 9K rpm & I'm not sure where you would ever get to hear that on our roads (well maybe just before you lost your license & got locked up forever). When you change down it blips between gears in sport mode & you find yourself changing up just so you can back down through the gears again.  Very much like 997.2 GT3 exhaust note but it definitely sounds more free revving.

Steering.

I would place the feel somewhere between the 997.2 I had & the 991 S Carrera. Not as twitchy/feeling/communicative as the 997 but more weighty than my 991. Would I prefer the GT3 steering on my 991? Yes, not that I consider the 991 to have bad steering at all, I just think they have tweaked it to the next level, apparently the steering components are the same but the software is different, but I'm not sure I really believe that. If there is a software update for the 991 steering I will take it.

Gearbox.

I have owned 4 Porsche's, all manuals, there, my bias is in the open. I have driven 8 different PDK cars, 997, 991, 997 turbo, Cayman & Boxster, on the track & open road.

So what is the GT3 PDK like? Like nothing else I've experienced. To begin with if you put it in drive & get out of the car there is no auto creep, it doesn't move??? weird. When you reverse its like a manual, take your foot of the accelerator & it slows just like a manual car. On the road in auto mode it is so engaged/hooked up in the drive train there is no hint of auto other than it is changing gears by itself.

In manual mode the shifts with the paddles are done before you can take your fingers off the paddle after making the shift, its tighter than a manual shift, just bang, bang, bang. I swear the gearbox is quicker at shifting than your fingers are at pulling the paddles, So direct & instant I think you would need a while to get used to it & get the best out of your driving style, I think the car is already there & I need to catch up.

Issues.

I'm not sure after a while you would not end up just leaving it in auto mode it's so good. Did I want a manual with a clutch? Yes! I know the mantra about how "we want to be quickest" etc etc Blah, Blah , Blah! but this would be so much more engaging with a manual gearbox, would it be quicker with a manual? definitely not, but in the real world there is the "engagement with the car" factor only a manual gives (old persons bias again?)

Engine.

I want one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This car had a couple of hundred Klms, not even run in. But, this is in a different league, I compare it against a 997.2 turbo S, 997.2 GT3 I have driven & my 991 S. I'm not sure how it works but it appears lifting the red line has freed  up the bottom end, just touch the accelerator & it's game on. Is it more responsive than my 991? yes, but I'm not sure how much is down to the PDK instant response & how much is due to the engine, the S is 294kw & the GT3 350Kw, I rate my 991 as super responsive already. Does it grumble & clunk like the Metzger? no, is it a better engine? only time will tell, I don't think there are enough miles under the 91A to tell yet.

Brakes.

GT3 typical Porsche, not sure they felt any different to the 991S, totally able to overwhelm the speed easily, but compared to the 991 3.4ltr brakes this is a different world. It was relatively easy to promote brake fade in the 3.4 on the track.

Drive experience.

All of the above aside, it is just brilliant. I drove out the driveway & about a hundred metres down the road I was think "will SWMBO find out if $100K was missing from our bank account".

Does it feel special? Most definitely, could you live with the PDK? Yes.

The car is wider than a standard 991 but i have to say I did not notice it at all.

Could you live with this a DD? yes, really easily compared to a 997.2 GT3.

Compared to the 991S.

Second gear in the 991S is 125klms/hr, 3rd is 187klms/hr, you've already lost your license, where do you go with 4th, 5th & 6th?

GT3, you're in jail/goal in the blink of an eye.

Strange P car decisions.

The sat nav is an $8K option, standard on 991S,

Steering wheel adjustment is manual as per 997, 991 is electric & much better (personal opinion),

Two different opinions from the sales guys as to whether the sports chrono was standard or not??????

If you don't take the club sport package (roll bar cage, fire extinguisher) the rear area still has the centre console, seat belt points but no rear seats?

Please send your donations so I can keep the 991S & buy the GT3!

Oh, & there was a 996 GT2 there with 21,000klms on it for sale, silver, manual & immaculate, please send more money, i promise you can all have a drive!

Great read Greg. Thanks for sharing the experience. Sounds like a truly awesome car as expected.

Have they started delivering to new owners yet? As I expected to see a few of the 997.2 GT3s appearing in Porsche centers as trade ins....

C

Great read Greg. Thanks for sharing the experience. Sounds like a truly awesome car as expected.

Have they started delivering to new owners yet? As I expected to see a few of the 997.2 GT3s appearing in Porsche centers as trade ins....

C

I think there are going to be some great trade in buys coming. The GT2 that was there today was immaculate, they were going to retail it. I think there will be some low Klms 997 GT3 etc coming into the market as trades soon.

I was there today having the 997 serviced, saw her out the back looking all mean and sexy, would've loved to get in and take her out.

Some tasty metal there ATM, the GT2 was gorgeous and the two 997 turbos wow, white one with 27,xxx km for $189k..... Where's my lottery win...

Thanks for the write-up.  Excellent.

Great read thanks.

Roughly how much will they be on road? $350k?

You know what they say...if you have to ask..... :D

My mate picked his up last Friday - fully optioned and had no change from 400

Greg

Good write up. I'm envious.

Any idea what they were asking for the GT2?

Mines ready tomorrow, but I'm stuck on the wrong side of Australia...............

Great read thanks.

No Simon, they were just detailing it, but what a great car, amongst a room full of Porsches it just stood out!

Roughly how much will they be on road? $350k?

This one was $345K on road, extras were leather dash, door trim etc with white stitching, sat nav, sport chrono ( which I thought was standard?) & it had dark grey/smoke? Headlight covers which looked good with the wheels.

Love it, love the write up, love the car, LOVE IT!

Can't help but think that your wife may be a little more upset about the more aggressive looking track car in the drive than the $100K missing from the bank. I was contemplating a "switcheroo" with a 997 GT3 recently (you know, same colour as my current Targa)...but I worked out that as much as she is oblivious to cars, she might notice the roll cage and the more basic luxuries inside.

......maybe a Turbo.

Guest Harold

Greg, I am a serious contender for one of these so my new 991S will become a car of the past with 3500 kms on it. Two questions,

1. How did the ride compare to a 991S

2. What is the ride clearance height like?

Greg, I am a serious contender for one of these so my new 991S will become a car of the past with 3500 kms on it. Two questions,

1. How did the ride compare to a 991S

2. What is the ride clearance height like?

Harold,

The ride was not that much different to the 991S, a little stiffer but not a lot, not like a C63 which makes you feel like your being beaten with sticks! You could definitely live with it day to day.

Ride height is noticeably lower, especially at the front, my 991 scrapes on my drive entry unless I go extremely slowly on the approach & I'm positive the GT3 would scrape every time. There is no way you are going to get around Sydney without bumps & scrapes on the front bar & skirt.

I did not notice any disengagement in the box at all, so if it does disengage I can't tell, so I think no.

I have been thinking about the GT3 since I drove it on Thursday wondering do I really want to swap the 991S? When I first drove a 991 I had to have one & it ate away at me until I had to scratch the itch so to speak. While the GT3 is outstanding I keep coming back to how accomplished the 991S is in the first place, I had that thought at one stage while actually driving the GT3. I have driven the 991S in two Porsche Targa's way above normal street limits & on the track & appreciate the cars capabilities once you start to push, the cars transforms itself into serious weapon that you never get to see around the streets. This leaves me wondering, as it has other reviewers, other than on the track where you could actually use the GT3 capabilities. Still , nice to contemplate!

Archived