Regretting a 2-seater?

gtim

Hi all,

I'm beginning researching a possible Boxster/Cayman purchase, however the fact that they are 2-seaters is a bit of a concern.

I've got a wife and a small child.  I was actually looking at buying a Boxster a couple years ago, but I decided to buy a 4-seater BMW instead for practicality reasons.

We do have a 2nd car (small, Korean 5-door hatch-back), which is not a comfortable GT car, but it does the job for shopping trips.  I'm trying to work out in my mind whether I could get a 2-seater sports car or whether I might regret the decision.

I do love the idea of having a light, focussed, 2-seater, but it obviously means we can't use it as a family.

I know there is no right or wrong, but I'm just wondering if anyone else has been in this situation and whether they regretted going for a 2-seater?

Buying a car is such an emotional decision and therefore I don't trust my judgement when I'm in this lustful state of mind...if that makes sense.

Tim,

I might start an argument here by saying that the decision to own a Porsche, especially a Box or Cayman, is not really a decision made from a practical standpoint.

I have owned an Audi TT, a BMW 135i and a Renault RS in the lead up to my Boxster. Those were all 2+2 cars with folding rear seats and even they would occasionally prove to be unhelpful when needing a "practical" car.

The Box (I have an '05) is really a car bought for the raw, visceral thrill of mid-engined engineering brilliance. It is slower than my 135i but kills it for poise, apex predation and driver-machine unity. It blows me away how good it really is...

So, if it will stop you getting from A to B, then don't swap your 4D Beemer for a smaller 2D P. But if you can keep on keeping on, your emotional elation will beat that practical voice into submission.

That's my two bob.

PK

I've got two young kids, and there is a two seater in my family, I've put less than 800km a year on it for the last four years. I can almost never use it.

It's part of the reason I've been looking to buy a 911 for the past 6 months. At least I can pick my 4yr old up from preschool in it!

So you have a wife and a young child and your looking to rely on a two seater as your second car? Doesn't sound like the best move IMO, plenty of hot hatchbacks etc that are great to drive and you can take the family with you.

Or buy a 911. Don't make your life any harder by buying a 2 seater - as a third car not a problem!

I went through this exact dilemma when I was shopping for the Porker. I was almost signed off on a Boxster but the 2 seat thing stopped me. Like you, I had a school age child and this was going to be my daily for a few years. I reassessed what I really wanted and went back to my original choice of an air cooled 911 with the extra seats. I think I've had more than 2 people in it maybe 3 times in 7 years. 2 seats or 4 matters little.

Buy the car that makes you smile and won't leave you wondering if you made the right choice.

Seems likes common dilemma. I have 4 young kids and was wondering whether a Boxster was the right decision.

I have had no regrets, although we do have a truck for day to day family duties. The Boxster is purely an occasional weekend car for me. Every now and again I will take one of the kids, but for the most part it is an indulgence. The upside of this is there are no bananas squashed into the carpet that I have to deal with in the Boxster.

So my view, if it is not the main family car, buy the car your heart says and enjoy it.

Having kids (5 of.them) the space inside a 911 is not really useful for family.trips. Think pram, bags etc....

Then no.room.for wife.

With a bit of thought and planning, you'd be surprised what you can fit into a 911. Check out the gear that regularly gets packed into cars at a track day. Wheel sets, jacks, tool boxes, etc. When travelling, soft bags are your best bet. The back seats fold to make a rather large load area. I've even done the regular school run with my son with wheelchair while recovering from a broken leg. You make it work.

5 kids? Use the Porsche as an incentive. Home work done and good behaviour, no nagging, :ph34r: gets a ride in the porker ;)

Thanks for the comments.

I have gone down the hot hatch route before with a Mazda3 MPS.  It had lots of power (190kw) which is up there with the base Boxters and Caymans, but it sent the power to the front wheels, plus it felt like it was designed as a family hatch and then given more power.  It didn't really feel like a sports car.

A 911 would be practical enough for what I'm after.  A sports car with 4 seats.  However, price wise I would have to go a much older model to get something in the Cayman price range so that is a factor too.

No regrets, but..... I did have a 987 Boxster as a daily driver a few years back when I had two primary school aged kids. Pre purchase I did give a lot of thought as to what I wanted but maybe not enough to what we needed. The two things I didn't think through at the time were using a manual sports car in the daily Sydney traffic grind and a two seater as the second family car. I ended up ditching the boxster within a couple of years for a four seater A5 and then waited for the right weekend car to come along.

The old 911 is definitely 2+2 (2 adults , 2 dwarves) but once your properly fed children hit 10 or so  they will hit their heads on bumps.

They are "personal" vehicles.

Not saying that justified my decision to get a 928 , but I can pick up more women now  B)

No regrets, but..... I did have a 987 Boxster as a daily driver a few years back when I had two primary school aged kids. Pre purchase I did give a lot of thought as to what I wanted but maybe not enough to what we needed. The two things I didn't think through at the time were using a manual sports car in the daily Sydney traffic grind and a two seater as the second family car. I ended up ditching the boxster within a couple of years for a four seater A5 and then waited for the right weekend car to come along.

I know what you mean regarding a manual.  My old mazda was like that.  It had a heavy clutch.  If I was getting a Porsche as a daily drive, I would most likely go for the PDK to get around that issue.  

The message from everyone is pretty loud and clear that these cars are personal, fun cars, as opposed to family cars.  So, I guess ensuring we have the family car sorted is the priority, before getting the sports car.

I love being able to share the passion for Porsche with my boys, and it means it gets more use too. Weekend family trips mean you get to enjoy a drive of the P car instead of being stuck in the Hyundai or whatever, and when your alone it's fun time!

911boysinback_zps2c17c1d1.jpg

I considered a newer Boxster, but wifey insisted I get a 911.  I don't say this often....but i think she was right!

I love being able to share the passion for Porsche with my boys, and it means it gets more use too. Weekend family trips mean you get to enjoy a drive of the P car instead of being stuck in the Hyundai or whatever, and when your alone it's fun time!

911boysinback_zps2c17c1d1.jpg

I considered a newer Boxster, but wifey insisted I get a 911.  I don't say this often....but i think she was right!

I think I read this in another thread but those seats are recaro right? Any Idea of the damage, I'm going to need 2 of them :)

Yeah they are Recaro ProBooster.  They are quite narrow at the base so fit snug into the seat recess.  

I imported them from the US as they aren't available through Recaro here...

They were around $120USD ea plus shipping.  I got them through a store on Amazon. It was a little difficult to find one that would ship outside US at first, had to try a few.

Being imports, they are NOT certified to AS, but they are rated as the safest booster on the market...

*Edit: Just noticed there is a new version called Performance Booster, it looks way wider at the base - to fit dual cupholders, of course!  If you want a ProBooster i'd get one while you still can!

I know what you mean regarding a manual.  My old mazda was like that.  It had a heavy clutch.  If I was getting a Porsche as a daily drive, I would most likely go for the PDK to get around that issue.  

..or get a sporto :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

Nothing practical about it for me.

I have 3 cars, a little 4b, a sedan and the boxter.

The family love that I'm making myself happy.

I guess one could say I have compromised by buying and older model to make it more affordable. But I love a project, so repairs and DIY's keep me enthused.

I actually rarely have a passenger.

I sold my Elise to get the 911 so that I can fit in the kids, I am just using a normal Australia car seat, but I removed rear the car seat so that the seat fits better.

No regrets, they will fit for a while yet.

Guest Harold

I am not sure how practical a 911 is as a family car. My 10 year old son refuses to get in the back again. He says it is like being in a coffin. Maybe he was referring to my driving...... Hmmm.

Archived