NEW WHEELS for the Beloved Bluebird

I know everyone has been waitings with bated breath, for the next exciting instalment of the 

"Adventures of the Beloved Bluebird".  So try and stay calm get a cool refresher if you must and read on.    And NO.....

I know you would all love to have this gem in your garage but the car is not for sale or ever will be. :P  

I promised the dear old lady who I purchased (stole) it from that I would never sell it.

I am about to put the old girl on club plates, but when I took it to the NISSAN CAR CLUB bloke who checks the cars over first, he found slight cracks in my original steel rims and wouldn't pass it till I got new wheels.    So I hunted everywhere and they are as scarce as rocking horse poo.   Ended up buying a set of 14" (wanted to keep it the same) 260Z wheels for $200.00 :)  

IMG_5602.jpg

I This is how they looked when I brought them home.   This was the best of them. :(

IMG_5668.jpg

This is how they turned out with many hours sitting out in the freezing cold using wet and dry, steel wool lots of polishes and various cleaners.  Probably about twenty hours work on all four. :D

Had a lot of trouble getting 4 wheel lug nuts, and there was no wheel centre caps.

Check out the security light below....

IMG_5666.jpg

On the B.B. :wub:

IMG_5671.jpg :wub:

IMG_5673.jpg

After trying all sorts of templates and things trying to cover the centre cap hole, I found an old ARLEC security light, and low and behold....the cap underneath, looked close, so I plied it out tried it in the wheel and would you believe perfect fit, couldn't have asked for better, painted it up ...and Bobs your Uncle

Hopefully get it across in the next week or so for it's final inspection and then hopefully Club Plates :)

Thank you Gents, I do love the sludgy old lounge chair on wheels.  

haha, I will take your suggestions into consideration Barry, but I will have to wait till the PO crosses the Jordan.

It still has the two feather dusters and the mats that "cover the mats" that she left in it when I purchased (stole) it off her.

AHHHH - the LOVE !

Many hours, hands getting dirty and the thinking outside the square to come up with a solution (that's the one I like).

Great job, Niko.

Thanks Harvs, Photos do them more justice than they really deserve though, there are still lots of little ingrained blemishes that I have given up trying to get out.   But they certainly are better than when I got them.

Once it is all club regd I might have another go at them.   When it gets a bit warmer out there......

Thanks Doug, I agree with the club plates, wouldn't you think with all the other varieties of plates out there now, they would do Club Plates in different colours.   Charge an extra $100.00 or whatever for them or even just done in white on the black, which suits most vehicles.

Thanks Doug, I agree with the club plates, wouldn't you think with all the other varieties of plates out there now, they would do Club Plates in different colours.   Charge an extra $100.00 or whatever for them or even just done in white on the black, which suits most vehicles.

yup that's a mystery to me.  By definition someone who puts a car on club reg is a motoring enthusiast and surely couldn't be a better candidate to be fleeced a few hundred bucks for "Personalised Club Plates"

no brainer surely.... ?

With the computerisation they have I asked Vicroads if I could retain (high cost) personnel plates with the car onto club register, but it just fell on deaf ears.

Thanks niece A,

Mark, in my case I am hoping I just keep the old plates so if the car ever has to come full time back on the road, I can put them back on once roadworthied etc.   I think....that's alright to do.   

So you wanted to just keep the personalised plates on the car?   I can see why they would say no to that one.  

With the 90/45 day limit you would be able to drive around without being checked to see if you have filled out your log book, I guess.

I know the VICROADS people don't want the old plates back any more, your supposed to destroy them and chuck them out.

Thanks niece A,

Mark, in my case I am hoping I just keep the old plates so if the car ever has to come full time back on the road, I can put them back on once roadworthied etc.   I think....that's alright to do.   

So you wanted to just keep the personalised plates on the car?   I can see why they would say no to that one.  

With the 90/45 day limit you would be able to drive around without being checked to see if you have filled out your log book, I guess.

I know the VICROADS people don't want the old plates back any more, your supposed to destroy them and chuck them out.

each time i've put personalised plates on they have requested the old plates but have also agreed to let me dispose of them.

Did you check about holding into the original plates Niko?

I thought if you put it on club reg then you would have to surrender the old plates?

I didn't think they gave you the option the buy them and "store them" like a personalised plate?

But then i've never rally understood a whole heap about what Vic Roads do....

With number plate recognition technology I'm not sure if that argument holds true anymore.

each time i've put personalised plates on they have requested the old plates but have also agreed to let me dispose of them.

I thought if you put it on club reg then you would haste to surrender the old plates?

I didn't think they gave you the option the buy them and "store them" like a personalised plate?

Not sure bloke, I will find out what the go is in the next few days, so will post up result.

Goes in Thursday for the re inspection and all going well club plates on Friday.

I thought if you put it on club reg then you would have to surrender the old plates?

You are correct Bayf, I had the car there at VICROADS, Gentleman behind the jump could not cancel my original rego until he had the plates.

So swap of plates in the car park. The old ones are gone for good. If I happen to re register it with full rego again, RWC and new plates will be issued.

Interesting side issue, when I got home I rang the insurance company where it is covered for third party, fire and theft, seeing if the premium will be reduced now it is only able to do 90 days on the road. The premium dropped from $257 down to $237. I then thought I would try SHANNONS. I was quoted $240.00 which is a FULL COMPREHENSIVE policy valuing the BB at $2500.00 should the unthinkable happen.

That price assisted by the Box being with them, but mainly because they have a special category for "H" plates.

Normal conditions apply as per SHANNONS policies.

So no brainier, was worth the phone call.

Archived