996 turbo pricing ?

Keep crashing them (safely!) guys, I'm happy I have the last one!

But seriously will be a case of steady as she goes and a bit of on track tuition before leaning on it too much. Having said that PO reckons alignment is crucial and as setup, it's very progressive and manageable. Mind you he's the nsw club champion in a 968 so knows how to steer!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That age old question again - Personalized plates or no?

Currently registered GT2996 in nsw but when I transfer to Vic.......V GT TWO or V TT GT2 perhaps? Combos of 996 and gt2 not available. Maybe generic Euro plate is better less wank factor? That'll no doubt open a can of worms....

That age old question again - Personalized plates or no?

Currently registered GT2996 in nsw but when I transfer to Vic.......V GT TWO or V TT GT2 perhaps? Combos of 996 and gt2 not available. Maybe generic Euro plate is better less wank factor? That'll no doubt open a can of worms....

Couldn't like your post, too many likes for the day! :lol:

IMO standard euro plates, the car doesn't need to explain itself!

Let me know if you have time for a quick meet up whilst in Sydney mate! :)

Couldn't like your post, too many likes for the day! :lol:

IMO standard euro plates, the car doesn't need to explain itself!

Let me know if you have time for a quick meet up whilst in Sydney mate! :)

Could be possible. I don't yet know where the car is located (relative to where to you are) but the broad plan is head up Friday 1/8 morning, collect Friday evening around 6:30 or so. Could possibly could catch up after that. Crash the night in a motel somewhere then head for home Saturday morning.

What made the 996 GT2 a better car to buy than the GT3 ?

regards 

Paul

I liked that it was very rare and has genuinely huge performance. I prefer the look. I like that it has clubsport interior (and all the original bits). It's a very well looked after car that by all accounts is as good as you could find and well setup suspension wise (crucial with these cars). Given they were something like 50% more expensive than a GT3 when new, it's a relative bargain now.

Add to that a few good reasons in Total 911 issue 108:

"I think we are on the cusp of seeing the 996 GT2 have it's day

Hard to find good ones....expect to see value continue to climb

A well setup GT2 with full service history is something to cherish

Arguably the best looking 996

A twin turbo, non traction controlled 911 with masses of torque and manual transmission is unlikely to ever be produced again."

All stacks up to an exciting car with genuine investment potential.

Could be possible. I don't yet know where the car is located (relative to where to you are) but the broad plan is head up Friday 1/8 morning, collect Friday evening around 6:30 or so. Could possibly could catch up after that. Crash the night in a motel somewhere then head for home Saturday morning.

Sorry just saw this post. 

I'll be away from thursday onwards so no go! Will catch you in Melb one day... good luck with the drive! 

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone know how they got the extra Torque and KW `s out of the 

996 turbo      =   309 kw       560 Nm     1885 kg   $308000

996 Turbo S   = 331 kw        620 Nm     1935 kg   $348000

yet they have the same engine and compression ratio ?

Seems the S would be the better car to buy ...?

the GT2  would first pick  but prices are a lot higher ...

Anyone know how they got the extra Torque and KW `s out of the

996 turbo = 309 kw 560 Nm 1885 kg $308000

996 Turbo S = 331 kw 620 Nm 1935 kg $348000

yet they have the same engine and compression ratio ?

Seems the S would be the better car to buy ...?

the GT2 would first pick but prices are a lot higher ...

GT2 = 340kW (355kW for super rare mark 2) 640Nm 1440kg. A shade under $400,000 when new (weights for turbo and turbo S can't be right - GT2 is only 100kg lighter)

More power seems easy to find - mine has different turbos, waste gates, exhaust and retuned ecu. Dyno sheet shows 358 rwkW/480rwhp.

I'm told that's somewhere in the range of 410-430 kW / 550-580 hp at the flywheel)

GT2 = 340kW (355kW for super rare mark 2) 640Nm 1440kg. A shade under $400,000 when new (weights for turbo and turbo S can't be right - GT2 is only 100kg lighter)

More power seems easy to find - mine has different turbos, waste gates, exhaust and retuned ecu. Dyno sheet shows 358 rwkW/480rwhp.

I'm told that's somewhere in the range of 410-430 kW / 550-580 hp at the flywheel)

So it's not stock by any means nice  :)  Was that on a dyno dynamics?  What turbos is it now running?

My TT put out 260 at all 4 bone stock.

It runs 350 at all 4 now with K16 ZC turbos running 997 GT2 wheels in the K16 housing, 5 bar fuel reg and 997 GT2 RS intercoolers.

For those asking about the power differences.

The major difference between the TT and TTS/ GT2 is that the GT2 and 'S' had the larger turbos, which gave the cars more top end punch but less response down low due to additional lag.  Turbo technology has moved on a lot in the last 15 years so you can get more top end power but better low end response using the K16 housings.  Modified K24s will always have more top end punch however will sacrifice the low and mid range response.  A lot of the tuners now offer billet K16s as the off the shelf solution as when you go larger than those its a slipper slope for bigger injectors, plenum and you risk bending the rods. 

I haven driven either one but i would think the TT would be a nicer car to drive with more power down low ? 

any one driven both or all three , 

shopping on a budget what are ones thoughts on the 993 non turbo ? still a nice car to own or wait for a 996 TT to come up at the right price ...

Torque is king in these cars, even part throttle provides huge effortless performance. Will also get used on track days. You do have to be careful though as big speeds happen with merely a flex of the ankle.

Turbos and waste gates in mine came from EVOMS in USA, not sure of specs. I have the details in the file, I also have the originals if I ever want to go back. Quite progressive power delivery, not too laggy.

Turbo and gt2 are both great cars and a turbo is exceptional value these days with performance on offer. To my mind GT2 is also great value given the exclusivity but a different proposition. For me it's strictly a weekender whereas a turbo would be a great all rounder.

Sounds like you got a cracking deal :) The evo motorsport guys have a pretty proven product.

I agree with you on the 6/2 I think they are a great car, I'm not phased to say I didn't want the weight over the back wheels with that much power on the track so the turbo's an easier choice and also day to day.

I think in time the 6/2's will appreciate in value, they didn't import that many and good examples that haven't done targa are hard to find.

• 5 months later...

Has the price on the 996 tt hit its bottom , there are a few nice ones for sale at the moment ...... around the $90k to $100k mark 

wondering if they will dry up like the GT2`s did ?

anyone know how many Manual coupe tt are in Australia ?

thanks 

Paul

Has the price on the 996 tt hit its bottom , there are a few nice ones for sale at the moment ...... around the $90k to $100k mark 

wondering if they will dry up like the GT2`s did ?

anyone know how many Manual coupe tt are in Australia ?

thanks 

Paul

I'd say 90-100k is on the high side for a 996TT based on recent sales in the market. Most seem to be clearing in the mid 70 - 80 mark.  A more TT's around than GT2's - not like the market has ever been 'flooded' with either. 

I think there's a bit to go. There have been a couple of manual turbos I know that have sold in the $70k's, with around 100k km. Lower mileage ones sit for ages waiting for buyers asking $90s through well over $100k. They sit there for months and months. 9 manual turbo coupes on car sales today. I'm contemplating getting a 996tt. Started out looking for a 993 but have basically given up. Can't see the value at $85k+++.

I think a decent low km 996tt manual coupe fair price sits around $85k plus/minus depending on color, options and heading slowly south. No idea how far but they're a 10-15year old car now and full of fancy stuff that can go wrong. A few more km's and you're heading sub $80k. That's my perspective anyway as a patient buyer.

Archived